Cokin Filter on Tokina 11-16

small pig

May 17, 2011
Punggol
Any bro uses cokin square filter 77mm attachment with 11-16mm before? Is there any vignetting?

Any bro uses cokin square filter 77mm attachment with 11-16mm before? Is there any vignetting?

The camera body you use matters.

On 1.5x crop factor bodies, even if you use the single slot wide angle P holder, it will vignette at 11mm. 12mm will clear it.

so the holder, I got to buy the wide angle type ?

so the holder, I got to buy the wide angle type ?

It is called Cokin P series wide angle holder. Even with this wide angle holder, you will still get slight vignetting at 11mm if you camera is 1.5x crop factor. (Canon is 1.6x crop factor, but I am not sure if it will clear... maybe might, you better check)

It looks like this:

cokin-creative-system-p-series-bpw-400-wide-angle-holder-free-ship-1009-16-jimmychoo@11.jpg

Last edited:
i need ND filters, hence not sure to buy cokin square or the normal round screw in type.

i need ND filters, hence not sure to buy cokin square or the normal round screw in type.

You have to decide for yourself which is better for you.

Some of us are using 100mm filter holders to get around this problem. But the holder and filters cost significantly more.

imo, Square ones are more value for $

No money dun buy

How to use a 100mm adaptor on 77mm lens

If i'm not wrong, You need to get a step up ring. At least this is how I do it on my 58mm lens to use the 77mm square filter adapter

small pig said:

You need to get an appropriate filter holder for it. Lee and HiTech. There's also the Cokin Z-Series, although I'm not sure if it's 100mm. I'm a little bit lazy to search.

Okay, here you go:

Cokin P-Series: 85 x 140mm(?)
Cokin Z-Pro Series: 100 x 100mm / 100 x 150mm
HiTech: 100 x 100mm / 100 x 150mm
Lee: 100 x 100mm / 100 x 150mm
(not particularly sure with the P-Series measurements but it's around that size.)

Basically, what I'm trying to say is you can't fit a P-Series in the other three's holder, and vice versa. The adaptor ring will also be different so you really need to pony up if you opt to get the 100s.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Going for quality filter matters and will put a big hole in your wallet. but in my opinion they're just bag space and weights, just shoot raw all the way.
If I'm not mistaken, filters are mostly more beneficial to film users and folks who doesn't do much post processing.

Another suggestion is, if you really don't want to put a hole in your pocket, go for the biggest Lee filter, probably the gradient. No need to buy the holder just get the square filter glass and hold it while you shoot. You're a landscaper shooter so I assume you're a tripod hugger too. Hope this helps.

Going for quality filter matters and will put a big hole in your wallet. but in my opinion they're just bag space and weights, just shoot raw all the way.
If I'm not mistaken, filters are mostly more beneficial to film users and folks who doesn't do much post processing.

Another suggestion is, if you really don't want to put a hole in your pocket, go for the biggest Lee filter, probably the gradient. No need to buy the holder just get the square filter glass and hold it while you shoot. You're a landscaper shooter so I assume you're a tripod hugger too. Hope this helps.

So if the exposure is 3min long, I'm supposed to hold the filter still for that 3 mins??
Hmm.. is that really possible?? And, why do you say the biggest Lee filter is the gradient one??

100mm is refer to the lens size.
(using 100mm filter must have a 100mm filter holder)
there still a adaptor ring for the filter holder
ok make it simple you need a 77mm adpter ring to hold a filter holder (85mm or 100mm) and according to the holder size get the filter
hope i didnt make you blur :)
oh ya i am using canon 1.6crop using 11-16 tokin i dont get to see the vignetting (i m using cokin UWA holder (85mm)

So if the exposure is 3min long, I'm supposed to hold the filter still for that 3 mins??
Hmm.. is that really possible?? And, why do you say the biggest Lee filter is the gradient one??

LOL...

garbled said:

Only when a camera is sophisticated enough to do long exposures in broad daylight. Guess we have to wait til the year 2120 for that to happen. But wait, we're all dying in 2012, so sad to say, filters are still very much relevant. :)

garbled said:
No need to buy the holder just get the square filter glass and hold it while you shoot.

I do that sometimes when laziness kicks in. But 10 seconds onwards? It's practically like begging for arthritis.

Last edited:

Well I've held filters in front of the camera for 90s. It's really quite tiring to hold it still. The plus point is that with ND grads you disperse the transition line somewhat.

Eh digitalpimp, don't say die, most probably we're all in our 50's-60's those time.

About the biggest lee filter, what I meant is get lee's biggest sized gradient. Because in my opinion its the most useful of the bunch I have.

As for the rest of what I've said. Just ignore it, oops.