Coffee Table layout software

Status
Not open for further replies.
Purely photoshop. You just need to create your design in a specified dimension set by the press. That is what I know so far. Hope the pros can enlighten more.

I'm no expert in wedding photography but with graphic design background on layouts, my advise is, never use the typesetting in PS for final offset printing. Unless you're using typeface for special text efx e.g. layer opacity (transparency to see thru the layer beneath), glowing efx, drop shadows, embossing, bevel, etc.

For high definition text output, you can use layout softwares like Adobe Illustrator/InDesign or Macromedia Freehand. Before sending for offset printing, you have to save a copy of the original layout file with the live text pathed. It means converting the live text into graphical form which on the safe side, in case the printing house does not have the typeface(s) you're using.

On the other hand, if you're just creating collages or montages of wedding images w/o any typesetting, editing alone in PS is good enuff.

As for offset printing file format, you have to check with the publisher side on the requirements i.e. converting yr image from RGB to CMYK, and saving/converting yr file format to either EPS or TIFF with at least image resolution of 200dpi. 300dpi is best.

Hope my 2-cents helps. Cheers mate! :)

here's a start, same as preparing artwork for offset printing

Step 1 - Setup a new document in PS. Define the canvas size and resolution (300 dpi for print). Screen shot here for S8R

s1.gif

Step 2

Do the layout of your photos in layers.

s2.gif

s3.gif

Step 3

Flatten the layers and save as TIFF for offset. But if you send for print in photo labs, high res jpg will do.

Here's my overwork, others may differ. Maybe they can advise and share.

If you are going for offset printing, remember to add an all round 3 mm page bleed for the artwork. :)

But I do not think you are going for offset unless you intend to print at least 1000 coffee table books.

THANKS. wow thanks a mil for the detailed explanations.
I was expecting a coffee table book software:sweat: ...as i do not have photoshop yet.
was actually wanting to rearrange my pictures into a coffee table book format and make it into a movie slide show like iphoto.But do not want to compress my pictures( iphoto "make a slideshow" or using paint to arrange my pics would do that ).
Any idea if that is possible.?:D :D :D

seanlim said:
THANKS. wow thanks a mil for the detailed explanations.
I was expecting a coffee table book software:sweat: ...as i do not have photoshop yet.
was actually wanting to rearrange my pictures into a coffee table book format and make it into a movie slide show like iphoto.But do not want to compress my pictures( iphoto "make a slideshow" or using paint to arrange my pics would do that ).
Any idea if that is possible.?:D :D :D

For slide show, why not try imovie then import into iDVD and burn into a dvd shideshow.

Max 2.8 said:
For slide show, why not try imovie then import into iDVD and burn into a dvd shideshow.
no mac.:angel:

try FlipAlbum

seanlim said:
Hi guys..not sure if this is the right forum..
may i know which softwares u guys use to make those coffee table layout things?...:thumbsup: :thumbsup:
With reference to:
http://www.forums.clubsnap.com/showthread.php?t=197057

Thanks a mil.
Try Fong software..you can purchase it online. It becomes a plugin for Photoshop...very fast for coffee table.http://www.storybookweddings.com/directory/index.html

www.youselectit.com

To be frank, you can use purely Photoshop to do your designs, after a while, overly designed albums do become very gimmicky or looking the same.

You can try the Gary Fong software or should I say actions. Price is USD$99 or 150 I think. If your photos are already proerply adjusted, laying out is pretty quick, you can do a 30-page album in like 45 minutes.

I guess it's probably not just the software you wanted as otherwise how good can a coffee-table book be if it's not available as an actual book that's placed on a coffee-table? So, besides getting the layout down, where do you guys get them printed and how much are the charges e.g. $/page or etc?

ob1canob said:
I guess it's probably not just the software you wanted as otherwise how good can a coffee-table book be if it's not available as an actual book that's placed on a coffee-table? So, besides getting the layout down, where do you guys get them printed and how much are the charges e.g. $/page or etc?

Might want to try www.leathercraftsmen.com . The albums cost about SGD$2,000 each, depending on the cover material and number of sides you have.

Informative & interesting thread..really learn some good stuff here.:)

As for the printing, any good recommendations of vendors in Singapore?

euphoria2004 said:
Step 2

Do the layout of your photos in layers.

s2.gif

s3.gif
Sorry though...

Need some advise. I can put pics as background just by clicking open->image.
But how to put pics as layers?

ob1canob said:

Was just at FotoHub (35mm Colour Lab at 2nd Ave Junction along Bukit Timah Rd) today. They have a very new service called FotoStory, where they will print a coffeetable-like book with stiff card pages. Your choice of cover material, size and no. of pages (20, 30 or 40 pages). You can do your own layout or get them to do it for additional charge. Anyway, page sizes are 12"x8", 12"x12" and 12"x15", and the layouts done double-spread (ie. layout size 12"x24" for the 12"x12" album). 20 pages of 12"x12" and standard leather cover is less than $200 if you DIY the layout (200dpi JPEG max quality is requested). They have sample albums with nice travel and wedding samples. Might try it out soon. :D

Obviously there are pro labs out there that do these things, but this is the first time I've seen such a complete and customisable package from a consumer/prosumer lab. :)

Actually I am of the view that FotoHub qualifies as a rather pro lab :)

Status
Not open for further replies.