coffee grinder

Status
Not open for further replies.
Spinelli's head office sells the Rancillio Rocky, I think only the doser version available. They're at Excelsior shopping center office tower.

Otherwise try http://www.highlandercoffee.com/index.htm for La Scala (Macap) grinders. Grab a double espresso while you're there, Phil's current premium blend will knock your socks off.

great. Thanks!! after years of kopi tiam coffee, i am rediscovering the flavours and joy of a properly brewed cup of coffee. Its not unlike wine appreciation!

great. Thanks!! after years of kopi tiam coffee, i am rediscovering the flavours and joy of a properly brewed cup of coffee. Its not unlike wine appreciation!

Which beans are you after now?

What espresso machine are you using at the moment?

Havent invested in an espresso machine yet, still using a french press. Anyone here tried using a Moka pot?

Using my friends kitchen-aid pro-line espresso machine. Now thats one sexy-looking machine.

Will be going over to highlander tomorrow to check out the bean selection. too bad they only have comercial grinders there... nothing for home use. Shall see if i can be tempted to invest in a espresso machine there! So many choices for espresso machines! fully auto vs semi-automatic vs manual etc...

They have the Macap M5 which is a home grinder, albeit a high end one. The La Scala Butterfly + M5 Grinder combo is retailing about $2700. Will serve you faithfully for many many years to come. Be sure to ask Cedric to demo his latte art, I find his cappacinos the best. Beware the espresso if you're not used to drinking coffee... it will give you the shakes.

If you want regular grinders, go to Takashimaya where they have a selection of hand and electric grinders. A Rancillio Rocky from Spinelli's will set you back about $700, the ones at Taka go for about $100.

i bought a Braun CafeSelect a few years back... works just fine and cost $100+. you should be able to find it in any of the bigger electric shops...

used to own a hand grinder. much prefer it to electric one. apparently, it is better to crush the beans rather than chop it (like what normal electric ones does). It is suppose to release more flavours. similar to pounded chilie vs cut chilie.

used to own a hand grinder. much prefer it to electric one. apparently, it is better to crush the beans rather than chop it (like what normal electric ones does). It is suppose to release more flavours. similar to pounded chilie vs cut chilie.
depends what kind of electric grinder you buy... there are the blender / chopper ones. These are hopeless since you cannot control the size of the ground powder. Then there are the ones that work like a pepper grinder or hand grinder. They allow you to set how fine the beans are ground. That is the one you want.

like a pepper grinder or hand grinder. They allow you to set how fine the beans are ground. That is the one you want.

haha. idea! can i grind my beans in a pepper grinder? sure to get repeatitive stress injury one.

Visited highlander today...got a bag of their brazil beans. Helpful staff there!Very eager to share their knowledge and educate the consumers.

Brazilian beans are one of my favourite. If you are looking for burr grinders for normal brewing, normal ones at Best, Courts or Harvey will do fine. For espresso, better to get a better one.

are there any other coffee specialty shops around besides highlander?

Prof. Google not answering my questions! :D

do you intend to grind beans to make espresso or drip brew? if only for drip brew you can consider cheap variants of grinders available in harvey or courts, those braun/kenwood ones. they work pretty well but is a pain to clean/wipe clean.

if you want to grind beans for espresso brewing then you have to buy those expensive grinders that previous posters have mentioned as normal cheapo grinders cannot grind to that fineness

are there any other coffee specialty shops around besides highlander?

Prof. Google not answering my questions! :D
if you are after exotic beans, starbucks/coffee beans have occasional exotic offerings

they have different peaberry coffees, exotic yemen coffees, unique sumatrans, at times rare offerings of their hawaiian kona and the jamaican blue mountains. if you find blue mountain a little costly/not value for money, you can consider papua new guinea sigri A, sigri A coffee's grown from blue mountain saplings but in a different place.

other than that i used to frequent taka's basement's key coffee for their toarco toraja till they disappeared entirely. its one of the coffees that you should try and why the japanese still consider toraja coffee a legend

haha. idea! can i grind my beans in a pepper grinder? sure to get repeatitive stress injury one.

Visited highlander today...got a bag of their brazil beans. Helpful staff there!Very eager to share their knowledge and educate the consumers.

yumyum.. brazillian santos.. i feel south american coffees should be a little more strongly roasted than other coffees thats why i only get brazillian/columbian from starbucks where the slightly darker roast of bucks makes the aroma leap at you in a seductive chocolaty way.

just that their body's a little out though.. dont really like it

Status
Not open for further replies.