COE hitting the roof

La Fontaine

Jun 12, 2008
Jalan Poonpipi
This crazy thing called COE is driving lots of people crazy. Those driving cars that are 8 to 9.5year old cars, the car dealers/traders, the car salesman etc.

I feel that it is gonna to be a chicken and egg thing. High COE would means that folks with cars 5 to 7year old would stretch longer and not scrap or sell their cars for the time being. There would be hardly any new entrant to the car market. With less cars being scrapped, the number of certificates would be even less in the market.

It would be difficult to predict which way it would go in the next few tender exercise.

One thing for sure is that those with deeper pockets will still be able to pay for it, like in the open cat.

This crazy thing called COE is driving lots of people crazy. Those driving cars that are 8 to 9.5year old cars, the car dealers/traders, the car salesman etc.

I feel that it is gonna to be a chicken and egg thing. High COE would means that folks with cars 5 to 7year old would stretch longer and not scrap or sell their cars for the time being. There would be hardly any new entrant to the car market. With less cars being scrapped, the number of certificates would be even less in the market.

It would be difficult to predict which way it would go in the next few tender exercise.

One thing for sure is that those with deeper pockets will still be able to pay for it, like in the open cat.

Bro,
This is nothing. Record high was $100000 Remember? The market will get sane soon I hope. Otherwise will see many give up driving cars soon.

Why COE will go higher

Interest rate so low, COE + car price can be funded, why not ?
Disparity between HDB & private getting bigger, less people upgrading, so buy new car to pacify oneself
Public transport so crowded, might as well commit to buying a car
Last but not least, kiasu mentality, if i dont buy now, COE go to $100k then how ?

:)

whatever it is, need then buy..........

whatever it is, need then buy..........

assuming can wait for 2 year minimum

2011 - q1 = 20 pax 1 2 buy coe too high so hold
2011 - q2 = additional 20 pax 1 2 buy coe too high so hold , total 40 pax
2011 - q3 = additional 20 pax 1 2 buy coe too high so hold , total 60 pax
2011 - q4 = additional 20 pax 1 2 buy coe too high so hold , total 80 pax

2012 - q1 = additional 20 pax 1 2 buy coe too high so hold , total 120 pax
2012 - q2 = additional 20 pax 1 2 buy coe too high so hold , total 160 pax
2012 - q3 = additional 20 pax 1 2 buy coe too high so hold , total 200 pax
2012 - q4 = additional 20 pax 1 2 buy coe too high so hold , total 240 pax

2013 - q1 = coe start to drop , 20 pax rush in, so coe drop not much
additional 20 pax 1 2 buy ao coe maintain, total 240 pax wait to see

2013 - q2 = coe start to drop , 40 pax rush in, so coe drop not much
additional 20 pax 1 2 buy so coe slight drop, total 220 pax wait to see

2013 - q3 = coe start to drop , 80 pax rush in, so coe drop not much
additional 20 pax 1 2 buy so coe drop, total 160 pax wait to see

2013 - q4 = coe start to drop , 160 pax rush in, so coe drop not much
additional 20 pax 1 2 buy so coe drop, total 20 pax wait to see

conclusion coe will not drop liao
:bsmilie: rambling ahahahahahahha

expect COE's to hit $100k soon....

;(

expect COE's to hit $100k soon....

;(

Agree fully. It's not the roof yet. There are many rich people who migrated to Singapore recently. Who cares about $100K for a piece of paper when they can easily afford a few millions for a car. Peanuts to them.

Let me cast a kind reminder again...general election is coming. :)

Why only $70,000? It is better if COE hits $1 Million. It should continue going up non-stop.
If Sing people want to pay $1 Million COE to buy a Proton Wira, please go ahead.
That will be good news. Then the money can be used to build hospitals and other facilities.

You know what is a COE?

It is a piece of paper that says, now...Sing person...you have my permission to go and buy a car.

Be careful what u wish for. Commercial vehicles and taxi also need COE. Transportation cost will skyrocket - end of day Singaporeans have to pay more for everything because transport component will jack up prices of goods sold. This in turn forces hawkers, businesses and service providers to raise prices ...

CNA got Talking Point on COE now at 8pm on 24 Jul 2012. Now it is hitting new highs.

It does not seem to be a factor in the GE. Since people have short memories, let it increase to $1 Million. They can take bank loan to pay COE.

Then Singapore can claim to be a rich country. Anyone driving a car on the road is at least a millionaire.

Last edited:
The finiancially strong no matter how high COE they can afford. They are out of this equation

The middle and lower class is more budget consious. So these class of buyers, usually in Cat A is further squeezed by:

- taxi
- turbo charged BMW, Mercedes, VW, Volvo also now below 1600cc

What happens is this budget concious class if they own a car now will stretched till close to 10 years (or a time should COE drop drastically not likley). This means the car they driving now will be AT LEAST 2 versions behind the same cars models sold in other Asian countries.

When tourists from these country come to Singapore... they will see is:

- Singaporeans driving either real out of production models (Altis, CIVICs, JAZZ, Latio, Sunny - which is already happening now)
- another class driving the latest model NEW luxury cars

The image we will give them is bulk of Singaporeans is "poor" (seeing the type of cars being driven in a city-state that has a GDP among the world highest - irony right ?)

I don't like to say this but I do used to "scorn" old Malaysian cars rusty, paintwork gone-case Proton SAGA, WIRA still got people drive one... now is happening to us. It's very sad :mad2:

When tourists from these country come to Singapore... they will see is:

- Singaporeans driving either real out of production models (Altis, CIVICs, JAZZ, Latio, Sunny - which is already happening now)
- another class driving the latest model NEW luxury cars

The image we will give them is bulk of Singaporeans is "poor" (seeing the type of cars being driven in a city-state that has a GDP among the world highest - irony right ?)

I don't like to say this but I do used to "scorn" old Malaysian cars rusty, paintwork gone-case Proton SAGA, WIRA still got people drive one... now is happening to us. It's very sad :mad2:

Sorry but... WHO CARES??? Why are you so concerned about "showing face"??

And honestly, the REAL opinion of people from those countries is that Singaporean cars are always clean and well-maintained, even if they're a few years old. Not like their cars, where after 1 year it's a rust bucket!

Agree fully. It's not the roof yet.

They will tell you to adjust your roof height upwards then it will not look so bad again

:bsmilie:

then how will you be able to differentiate the Rich from the Poor if there's no COE and everyone can buy a mercedes benz? :bsmilie: