Coconut seeking for shade

stevesteve

Jun 12, 2010
164389_474654092956_557697956_5916230_4137928_n.jpg

1. in what area is critique to be sought?
Exposure and composition

2. under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)
Morning around 9-10am.

4. what the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture
basic PP has been done, which darkens the picture abit to to hide its over brightness.

The subject in this image is not obvious, its a coconut under a branch of leaves. The coconut is difficult to spot on first look because there is insufficient separation between the coconut and the background. You could have zoomed in more from a distance or simply opening up the aperture. The lighting here is very harsh, when shooting outdoors try to avoid shooting under harsh lighting. Learn about the rule of thirds, leading lines, etc. They will aid you in training your eye for better compositions. Go outdoors more and look around for interesting subjects to shoot. Practise and improve :)

Last edited:
The subject in this image is not obvious, its a coconut under a branch of leaves. The coconut is difficult to spot on first look because there is insufficient separation between the coconut and the background. You could have zoomed in more from a distance or simply opening up the aperture. The lighting here is very harsh, when shooting outdoors try to avoid shooting under harsh lighting. Learn about the rule of thirds, leading lines, etc. They will aid you in training your eye for better compositions. Go outdoors more and look around for interesting subjects to shoot. Practise and improve :)

yup.. the lighting was quite harsh.. thanks for your comment.. will take note :)

stevesteve said:
1. in what area is critique to be sought?
Exposure and composition

2. under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)
Morning around 9-10am.

4. what the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture
basic PP has been done, which darkens the picture abit to to hide its over brightness.

Sorry, the picture just doesn't work for me. Had to strain to find the coconut. Way way too messy.

Finally saw the coconut, however I find the plant is too small to shade the coconut. Yes, the picture looks messy, there are too much dead leaves surrounding the coconut to make the object stands out.

to be brutally honest, should be dragged to the discard bin at 1st glance.

Can't really the coconut as the whole scene is too messy, a little bit more DOF control would help but not by much I think as the dead leaves are too similar in colour with the coconut

IMHO I actually liked the messiness of the scene, adds a natural, untouched feel. However, the problem here is that the coconut and the leaves have almost the same colour, so the coconut is camouflaged under the pile of leaves. Also, I don't see how the coconut is shaded by the red plant. The plant looks so fragile and incapable of sustaining itself and furthermore, it has to look after a coconut? Also, as others have mentioned, the lighting is rather harsh, maybe you could come later in the day to shoot? A lower angle would be favoured also.
Cheers :thumbsup:

My humble take on this is that the subject is not obvious. Messiness is one thing but i believe some of us have to search for the coconut.

I don't think that is called for. We all start from keeping almost every shot to being more discerning. If you reckon its not a keeper, then can just be tactful and still honest to ask TS to not keep such shot if its not good in your opinion. A little more tact would suffice.

hi all. what about this? i've tried color splash effect on this.. thou the coconut is still not that obvious, but maybe it does helps a little to bring the coconut to attention? hope so..

Can't really the coconut as the whole scene is too messy, a little bit more DOF control would help but not by much I think as the dead leaves are too similar in colour with the coconut

if i encounter such similar scenes, i will try more on the dof, and be wary of my surroundings..

IMHO I actually liked the messiness of the scene, adds a natural, untouched feel. However, the problem here is that the coconut and the leaves have almost the same colour, so the coconut is camouflaged under the pile of leaves. Also, I don't see how the coconut is shaded by the red plant. The plant looks so fragile and incapable of sustaining itself and furthermore, it has to look after a coconut? Also, as others have mentioned, the lighting is rather harsh, maybe you could come later in the day to shoot? A lower angle would be favoured also.
Cheers :thumbsup:

thanks for your comment :) i second to your view, as i really like the messiness, and its the reason why i uploaded it, to see if there's any improvement i can make. but lighting in future, i will take note.

My humble take on this is that the subject is not obvious. Messiness is one thing but i believe some of us have to search for the coconut.

does the color splash effect helps a little? :)

I don't think that is called for. We all start from keeping almost every shot to being more discerning. If you reckon its not a keeper, then can just be tactful and still honest to ask TS to not keep such shot if its not good in your opinion. A little more tact would suffice.

i personally like this pic because of its messiness. and by the title, the coconut is trying to look for shelter, which does not really means that the plant will be suffice to provide shade to the coconut. but it's just my way of interpreting this pic. no offence to anyone.. feel free to critique.

Last edited:
No offence at all, I mean I think some times its good to explain what's on your mind. However, I think as far as I am guilty of the same, I guess it would be good if you can capture an image where the meaning conveyed is obvious. I think, okay, your title gave it a meaning, but without the title, I would be wondering what is this about, perhaps a snapshot, I don't know. Like I said, I'm guilty of the same, sometimes we tend to be too caught up with what we are thinking, but then it may not be immediately clear to the viewer what you are trying to convey.

For me, I am not in favour of colour splash. Maybe sometimes it works, but in this case because of the colour of the coconut in the first place being rather dull, the colour splash does not really make it stand out still. Furthermore, I felt that in the first place perhaps we should try to aim to make the subject obvious and stand out, through composition, than using little tricks to "highlight" the subject, like hey look that one in the colour is my subject.

Just sharing my humble 2c. Hope I've not said anything to mislead you. :bsmilie:

No offence at all, I mean I think some times its good to explain what's on your mind. However, I think as far as I am guilty of the same, I guess it would be good if you can capture an image where the meaning conveyed is obvious. I think, okay, your title gave it a meaning, but without the title, I would be wondering what is this about, perhaps a snapshot, I don't know. Like I said, I'm guilty of the same, sometimes we tend to be too caught up with what we are thinking, but then it may not be immediately clear to the viewer what you are trying to convey.

For me, I am not in favour of colour splash. Maybe sometimes it works, but in this case because of the colour of the coconut in the first place being rather dull, the colour splash does not really make it stand out still. Furthermore, I felt that in the first place perhaps we should try to aim to make the subject obvious and stand out, through composition, than using little tricks to "highlight" the subject, like hey look that one in the colour is my subject.

Just sharing my humble 2c. Hope I've not said anything to mislead you. :bsmilie:

thanks for ur advice :) i will take more notice of my subject in future..

thanks for ur advice :) i will take more notice of my subject in future..

Not much of an advice i'm learnint as well to better define my subject with respect to the setting. Keep shooting and just enjoy the chance to shoot! :)

Don't use your DSLR to shoot like a PnS camera is something we need to learn :sweat:

Hi thanks for sharing your photo for critique session.

Firstly in terms of exposure,there are too much blown out highlights on the ground especially on the leaves. These are much polarized reflections. You might consider using a polarizer to cut off these reflections.

If you hadn't told me the your subject is the coconut, i wouldnt even notice a coconut because it seems to blend into the background, which isnt clear. Mayb you place it on a green patch of grass so to make it more discerning or stand out from the background.

The green patch of leaves behind is kinda distracting and doesnt contribute to the overall composition. Btw, there is a shade behind , maybe you can try to place it there. You must try it out, i dunno how it'll go but placing the coconut on these type of ground doesnt makes it stands out from the picture.

Good try anyway, but i guess through more shooting and analysing, u ll improve definitely.It's just a matter of time.

hi all. what about this? i've tried color splash effect on this.. thou the coconut is still not that obvious, but maybe it does helps a little to bring the coconut to attention? hope so..

if i encounter such similar scenes, i will try more on the dof, and be wary of my surroundings..

thanks for your comment :) i second to your view, as i really like the messiness, and its the reason why i uploaded it, to see if there's any improvement i can make. but lighting in future, i will take note.

does the color splash effect helps a little? :)

i personally like this pic because of its messiness. and by the title, the coconut is trying to look for shelter, which does not really means that the plant will be suffice to provide shade to the coconut. but it's just my way of interpreting this pic. no offence to anyone.. feel free to critique.

Honestly speaking, i realize this is better than the one before. But there's still much room for improvement btw

Originally Posted by clioboy

Originally Posted by Ted888
Don't use your DSLR to shoot like a PnS camera is something we need to learn

Haiya, people are just learning la ...I was once before :(. Mayb you can give suggestions and advice on how to improve his shot..?

At least he did bother to post in critique forum and really open for comments unlike Arikyeo

Last edited:
Haiya, people are just learning la ...I was once before :(. Mayb you can give suggestions and advice on how to improve his shot..?

At least he did bother to post in critique forum and really open for comments unlike Arikyeo

Friend, don't get me wrong, I am sharing an advice even though not giving any pointers per se. I am myself learning. If that "advice" does not stike a chord, please ignore it :)