Coca-cola exits

Coke is going to produce high tech drink ???

A natural business process over time and evolution as hard as it is to heard. Thus same goes for each individual who want to keep working or be viable for employment. You have to keep evolution in your work skills. Availability of cheaper labor elsewhere in the region and technology are taking over more and more as intelligent and mechanical innovation can do the same work more accurate, non-stop 24/7, no annual leaves, no medical leave, no union ....etc.

If anyone has not started thinking about how your job scope can be replicated by technology yet, better to start now. Presently it may be a cheaper and faster staff. Tomorrow it would be technology and robotics and that has not even touch on robot AI.

Sorry to say in this kind of situation, no one can help you least of all any party you vote it. This is a planet side issue of survival of the fittest and money. And again, I am not even talking about greedy CEOs.

Sad but that is life.

Each time a new camera comes out with a few added better features and improvement, we go gaga over it, ditch the old camera to buy it. That is as good an analogy of what we each are career and skill wise. How soon before a newer model of your will come along?

Last edited:
A natural business process over time and evolution as hard as it is to heard. Thus same goes for each individual who want to keep working or be viable for employment. You have to keep evolution in your work skills. Availability of cheaper labor elsewhere in the region and technology are taking over more and more as intelligent and mechanical innovation can do the same work more accurate, non-stop 24/7, no annual leaves, no medical leave, no union ....etc.

If anyone has not started thinking about how your job scope can be replicated by technology yet, better to start now. Presently it may be a cheaper and faster staff. Tomorrow it would be technology and robotics and that has not even touch on robot AI.

Sorry to say in this kind of situation, no one can help you least of all any party you vote it. This is a planet side issue of survival of the fittest and money. And again, I am not even talking about greedy CEOs.

Sad but that is life.

Each time a new camera comes out with a few added better features and improvement, we go gaga over it, ditch the old camera to buy it. That is as good an analogy of what we each are career and skill wise. How soon before a newer model of your will come along?

It's nothing about that.

It's all about Singapore has become a place of high costs of production. Even expat executives complain about the high cost of living here.

Soon we have to go and work in Malaysia or Indonesia as FTs as these are growth areas of employment.

:bsmilie:

Last edited:

Sad but that is life.

20 years ago I got a job sitting behind a desk in an office pushing pen. 20 years later I'm still doing the same thing.

Technology has so far not invented something that pushes a pen. :bsmilie:

It's nothing about that.

It's all about Singapore has become a place of high costs of production. Even expat executives complain about the high cost of living here.

Soon we have to go and work in Malaysia or Indonesia as FTs as these are growth areas of employment.

You don't think an example like an expat complaining standard of living's too high or high cost of production are not called COMPETITION in a sense and that it effect us even at our level for survival? I was only touching on one of many aspects which I feel is most crucial concerning technological advancement that will cause companies to hire less, retrench more, move operations to a cheaper place over time. A job that is not taken over by another better person but by a technology that each day rob another person of their livelihood.

You said "you push pen for so long and still doing it",. just be clearer to the audience at large, specifically tell them what you do? I would like to think that you are referring to a creative or artistic skill maybe thus making you 'employment proof'.

I already state, 'one should sit down to consider if what YOU DO can be replicated by technology? But I did not mean ALL JOBS can be replicated. So let me clarify. Maybe you are too focus on just a small aspect relating only to your job scope thus you miss the general wider point of what I am trying to say thta take place over a wide spectrum of work out there. heh

No doubt if you are a very creative designer, painter, photographer, a music composer, an architect, interior designer, engineer, doctor, lawyers, physicist ...etc. Your job is pretty 'safe' for now against technology.

But aside from that, there are still competition for the value of work competition. Be it your next cubicle office, next company or country with better or cheaper talent or cost then you. So you have to be on top of your game to survive in one small or large sense.. If one of the ways to do so is to move oversea like an S Pass worker, as you say? Yes you can but do they want you or can you accept to do the same work but for far less over there or back here in Singapore?

See where i am really coming from now. You can spin it how you like, one can not always bet on things being constant and never changing forever. It might not have change for you the past 20 years. It's even more cruel if it did after such a long period of complacency and leaving you with your pants down since never ever expected it to happen.

Thus don't take an expat's complaining ( your example), that they are wrong or unreasonable. For them to be able to do so means they have option and just giving you an indication of what's coming.

They are being what they are paid to do for a company that employs them to make the tough calls or for themselves. In your own way, you would do the same too in their shoe if you are unhappy. You want to keep doing the same thing or move if given a chance or ultimatum by your company?

Fortunately for expats they can have that option to up-and-leave.. They have the money behind them, they go where that can have take advantage to open a factory or MNC by another country offering better tax incentive, exchange rates, cheaper labor, higher profits margin and yes....a standard of living good enough for them to not complain.

So where does that leave us in our own little bubble we feel so safe in if we do not adapt and change? That is a scary notion.

The saying goes, it is easier to change one's self then to change the world.

7 Billion over people and counting....the smart ones are having less children and the uneducated and totally ignorant are having kids like there is no tomorrow still. There will soon be only jobs for the very talented and smart who will be desiging new ways to get things done faster, cheaper and with less people interaction. How will we feed all the people with no skills or too low a skill to be paid to work then? We are heading it that direction.

Maybe not for you and me Sion as we are in our 40s-50s or older. But the kids of today?

Last edited:
You don't think an example like an expat complaining standard of living's too high or high cost of production are not called COMPETITION in a sense and that it effect us even at our level for survival? I was only touching on one of many aspects which I feel is most crucial concerning technological advancement that will cause companies to hire less, retrench more, move operations to a cheaper place over time. A job that is not taken over by another better person but by a technology that each day rob another person of their livelihood.

You said "you push pen for so long and still doing it",. just be clearer to the audience at large, specifically tell them what you do? I would like to think that you are referring to a creative or artistic skill maybe thus making you 'employment proof'.

I already state, 'one should sit down to consider if what YOU DO can be replicated by technology? But I did not mean ALL JOBS can be replicated. So let me clarify. Maybe you are too focus on just a small aspect relating only to your job scope thus you miss the general wider point of what I am trying to say thta take place over a wide spectrum of work out there. heh

No doubt if you are a very creative designer, painter, photographer, a music composer, an architect, interior designer, engineer, doctor, lawyers, physicist ...etc. Your job is pretty 'safe' for now against technology.

But aside from that, there are still competition for the value of work competition. Be it your next cubicle office, next company or country with better or cheaper talent or cost then you. So you have to be on top of your game to survive in one small or large sense.. If one of the ways to do so is to move oversea like an S Pass worker, as you say? Yes you can but do they want you or can you accept to do the same work but for far less over there or back here in Singapore?

See where i am really coming from now. You can spin it how you like, one can not always bet on things being constant and never changing forever. It might not have change for you the past 20 years. It's even more cruel if it did after such a long period of complacency and leaving you with your pants down since never ever expected it to happen.

Thus don't take an expat's complaining ( your example), that they are wrong or unreasonable. For them to be able to do so means they have option and just giving you an indication of what's coming.

They are being what they are paid to do for a company that employs them to make the tough calls or for themselves. In your own way, you would do the same too in their shoe if you are unhappy. You want to keep doing the same thing or move if given a chance or ultimatum by your company?

Fortunately for expats they can have that option to up-and-leave.. They have the money behind them, they go where that can have take advantage to open a factory or MNC by another country offering better tax incentive, exchange rates, cheaper labor, higher profits margin and yes....a standard of living good enough for them to not complain.

So where does that leave us in our own little bubble we feel so safe in if we do not adapt and change? That is a scary notion.

The saying goes, it is easier to change one's self then to change the world.

7 Billion over people and counting....the smart ones are having less children and the uneducated and totally ignorant are having kids like there is no tomorrow still. There will soon be only jobs for the very talented and smart who will be desiging new ways to get things done faster, cheaper and with less people interaction. How will we feed all the people with no skills or too low a skill to be paid to work then? We are heading it that direction.

Maybe not for you and me Sion as we are in our 40s-50s or older. But the kids of today?

You really take me that seriously to write such a long reply?

I normally don't write more than 3 sentences in a KPT post. :bsmilie:

What you have just seen is nothing compared to what Sammy Boy can truly dish out....... Just consider this his lull .....and time to take your nap......... ZzzzzzZ :bsmilie:

Many businesses in Singapore already say that for next 5 years, we will still enjoy economic growth. But after 5 years, many are doubtful abt the growth, because the global competition will have changed by then. We will face unknown challenges in the future.

Many businesses in Singapore already say that for next 5 years, we will still enjoy economic growth. But after 5 years, many are doubtful abt the growth, because the global competition will have changed by then. We will face unknown challenges in the future.

Dun worry ...... We already have preempted this and we are are actually looking forward to the next 50 years .......More good years!!! :cheergal:

Where have you ever seen me never write long for all these many years... tsk tsk tsk hehhe. If you don't believe in something enough then it is not worth writing about it.

PLUS .. I am in between jobs and just about to start coming back to join the working world again.. so for now.. time is what I have for research and relook at a lot of things. Once you see me writing less you now I am back at work heheh

Last edited:
Dun worry ...... We already have preempted this and we are are actually looking forward to the next 50 years .......More good years!!! :cheergal:

Be it the present govt or if an opposition, they are not able to help beyond giving you some tiny handout and signpost, you are still expected to make it all work yourself including your family if they can't help themselves..

The only way to upgrade from pushing pens in Singapore is to progress to a position where you get people pushing pens under you.

Where have you ever seen me never write long for all these many years... tsk tsk tsk hehhe. If you don't believe in something enough then it is not worth writing about it.

PLUS .. I am in between jobs and just about to start coming back to join the working world again.. so for now.. time is what I have for research and relook at a lot of things. Once you see me writing less you now I am back at work heheh

Best of luck to the job search.

:thumbsup: :cheers: :vhappy:

Last edited:
For some reason I have gut feeling that some day some (maybe many) young Singaporeans will emigrate to other places if they are not doing so already. Any of you bros think this way? Aren't many of your forefathers immigrants from other places just a few generations or so back? (maybe this is why I think like this?)

I remember when Coke tried New Formula Coke. Hard to change such a well known brand it seriously flopped on them. New Formula Coke was actually pretty good if you ask me. That is the one thing great about a brand...it is like the BBQ restaurant of my friend's I mentioned in other thread...when I ate there 15 years ago food and sauce tasted a certain way very pleasing to the palate...I eat there again today and guess what? It taste, look, feel, etc. the exact same way it did 15 years ago (now has all the same old regular customers plus many many more and a second restaurant doing even more business - good model huh?). Now I can't say that about McDonalds...they ruined there french fries by changing to vegetable oil instead of animal fat. (Now Ronald experiencing drop in growth big time and scrambling to do something) He lost his way you see? These pop makers did the same whacko thing in pursuit of profit..they quit using sugar and substitute with corn syrup...and made everyone fat. tsk tsk :D

In reference to retrenching in Singapore...they did that same crap here long ago...move Coke made with Sugar to Mexico so for long time only way to get good original product was to import...nowadays all kinds of backlash so parent companies allowing stateside bottlers to make "retro" pop...bottled here..with sugar. Nothing high tech about that except for their lame excuses. haha

They chase economic growth but completely miss what is their foundation if you ask me.

I'd like to buy the world a Coke...lol Remember that one?

Last edited:
For some reason I have gut feeling that some day some (maybe many) young Singaporeans will emigrate to other places if they are not doing so already. Any of you bros think this way? Aren't many of your forefathers immigrants from other places just a few generations or so back? (maybe this is why I think like this?)

I remember when Coke tried New Formula Coke. Hard to change such a well known brand it seriously flopped on them. New Formula Coke was actually pretty good if you ask me. That is the one thing great about a brand...it is like the BBQ restaurant of my friend's I mentioned in other thread...when I ate there 15 years ago food and sauce tasted a certain way very pleasing to the palate...I eat there again today and guess what? It taste, look, feel, etc. the exact same way it did 15 years ago (now has all the same old regular customers plus many many more and a second restaurant doing even more business - good model huh?). Now I can't say that about McDonalds...they ruined there french fries by changing to vegetable oil instead of animal fat. (Now Ronald experiencing drop in growth big time and scrambling to do something) He lost his way you see? These pop makers did the same whacko thing in pursuit of profit..they quit using sugar and substitute with corn syrup...and made everyone fat. tsk tsk :D

In reference to retrenching in Singapore...they did that same crap here long ago...move Coke made with Sugar to Mexico so for long time only way to get good original product was to import...nowadays all kinds of backlash so parent companies allowing stateside bottlers to make "retro" pop...bottled here..with sugar. Nothing high tech about that except for their lame excuses. haha

They chase economic growth but completely miss what is their foundation if you ask me.

I'd like to buy the world a Coke...lol Remember that one?

Yeah. U r right there.

The most fundamental basis for a business is to maximise profits. And most business models follow this fundamental.

They will do anything to cut cost and maximise profits. But many forgot about why customers like them in the first place.
I quite agree with what u said abt Singaporean emigrating in the future. It will happen. It's common sense actually. And we live in a cycle. Nothing remain constant. Everything will keep changing.

It's nothing about that.

Ha ha but they still love Singapore. Safe and sound.

I like to repeat this. I previous boss is from Germany. He told me that Singapore is a very safe place. "In the middle of the night, I could walk alone from one end of Orchard Rd to the other. There is no place like Singapore!"