CNY very quiet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sniper ShutterBug

Dec 3, 2004
Bishan
This year is very quiet, I didnt hear a lot of lion dance or mahjong tiles. Will next year be worse? During the 80's, CNY was very enjoyable but seems that it getting more and more boring.

This year some Chinese stalls are even opened for food business during "Chu Yi" at the hawker center. Maybe one day we will reach a state where all those who wants or need to work on Lunar new year can do so others will just take it as a rest day.

This year is very quiet, I didnt hear a lot of lion dance or mahjong tiles. Will next year be worse? During the 80's, CNY was very enjoyable but seems that it getting more and more boring.

This year some Chinese stalls are even opened for food business during "Chu Yi" at the hawker center. Maybe one day we will reach a state where all those who wants or need to work on Lunar new year can do so others will just take it as a rest day.

Maybe 7% GST coming ma! People no mood to celebrate ma! Got to shallow the bitter pills soon!

smaller families means less people to visit, plus the passing of the elders also means less anchor for people to return to. :(

agreed. It seem more quiet nowdays. Most of my relatives run to overseas liao. lol

Well, if you must know, from what I gather a lot of the primary school kids and secondary school kids happen to have tests right after CNY.. =D

Maybe it's because of that, just the timing this year.

Any occasion is what the people make out of it! =) There are people who are able to find their happiness even in times of desperation, and there are those who will never be content.

CNY is a time to rest and take pixs.......practice practice practice...:bsmilie:

Have to agree with you... the festive seasons have been getting quieter by the year.

Things just seem to be winding down, just like the number of people hanging SG flag around National Day.

from Chinese > Singnese, so no more Chinese NY, only Singnese NY. :bsmilie: :sweat:

ya lor... so quiet.... my ang pao money also drop by 12%....

Noticed some stalls opened today too. Very amazed. Years back, all shops will be closed.

Less "atmosphere" cos think these days, we are more Westernized. Think most kids these days know or care little about tradition. Also, of all the races here, we Chinese have probably the least adherence to tradition. Just look at the clothes they wear in the streets and MRTs. I don't see any much difference in dressing from this festive season and on other normal days.

Also, rising cost of living in Singapore is worrying some people. So perhaps they got to open shop. Scary to hear from my friends how after marriage, they are now so cash strapped. No wonder people are marrying later or not married. Let alone wanna have kids. Fine, bring in the foreigners!

Noticed some stalls opened today too. Very amazed. Years back, all shops will be closed.

Less "atmosphere" cos think these days, we are more Westernized. Think most kids these days know or care little about tradition. Also, of all the races here, we Chinese have probably the least adherence to tradition. Just look at the clothes they wear in the streets and MRTs. I don't see any much difference in dressing from this festive season and on other normal days.

Also, rising cost of living in Singapore is worrying some people. So perhaps they got to open shop. Scary to hear from my friends how after marriage, they are now so cash strapped. No wonder people are marrying later or not married. Let alone wanna have kids. Fine, bring in the foreigners!

I have been going to River Hongbao to shoot fireworks since Sat nite.. most of the crowd are chinese nationals and tourists. The only Singaporeans easier to be seen are the photographers... i guess the local chinese are busy visiting relatives...

Today went Toa Payoh Fortune Rest... finally see local chinese eating tim sum like no tomm. :lovegrin:

I dun notice the lack of CNY spirit in my nephew. It is because we are so accustomed to CNY that we thought it lack the spirit of CNY in the past. Times changes. I noticed my nephew enjoying CNY like the way I enjoyed it in the past.

This year more tiring for me,after visiting 2 families,i feel like hitting the bed immediately.
Even the usual "lai ah,tai dee,ban luck!!!!" also cannot keep me up.:bsmilie:

So many stalls and shops still closed...

Been eating instant noodles and fast food for past 2 days if not home cooked.:sweat:

Malay and Indian food still open. They also got chicken rice and hor fun. :sweatsm:

This year more tiring for me,after visiting 2 families,i feel like hitting the bed immediately.
Even the usual "lai ah,tai dee,ban luck!!!!" also cannot keep me up.:bsmilie:

my neighbours different... can hear their mahjong sounds till 4am.. morever their relatives lived in the same block.. :sweat:

Malay and Indian food still open. They also got chicken rice and hor fun. :sweatsm:
My house below the indian food no open,else can eat the delicious roti prata.

For me, the older ones have passed on, the middle aged ones have migrated, the below middle aged ones went for holidays, the teens prefer to go out with friends, the young ones with their parents away on holidays. It has been a trend which i can see from the last few years.

This year, one cousin bought a new super big house, his parents how lian want to show off house, so never go on holidays, a few babies are born, causing the parents to be stranded in Singapore, the teens prefer ang bao over friends, and all these chain reactions causing me a more lively new year this time round.

Things might change, you never know...

Status
Not open for further replies.