CNY Lights At Marina Bay

sjackal

Jul 9, 2008
4360489517_f218f507ec_o.jpg

1. in what area is critique to be sought?

There is something that doesn't feel right about the image. I am frustrated that I donno why. Please tell me if you know. Save the good comments, say something constructively bad instead.

2. what one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?

I want to record the nice CNY lights at Marina Bay during the nice colors of sunset.

3. under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)

Shot at f5.6 ISO200 1/8 handheld braced against a railing, I shot about 6 frames before the red hue in the sky disappeared and the deep blue took over.

4. what the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture

There is something that doesn't feel right about the image. It doesn't feel like its in harmony. I can't exactly tell, maybe you can help me.

i find it too messy. totally lost searching for ur main subject.

if main subject is the lighting decors, than they r way too small.

also, more than 1/2 is the sky, were u trying to show it as part of the composition?

is the 2 ram / bridge part of what u wanted to show? they dont add to the photo.

side note, really hate it, dont know why they cast net over the lotus, making it very difficult to take good photos of them.:angry:

too much going on here, sjackal.

too much coompeting for attention, it is a riot of colors and elements.

The Sky is great .
The Buildings skyline is great .
The Exposure overall is good .
The CNY stuff is OK .
The Power cable above is not good .
Together , it has lost the plot .
Less sky , Slower shutter speed , motion blur the crowd and you may get the CNY atmosphere . . .

Change of view point might make a better picture...

* anything from the left side bridge onwards can be omitted.
* a much forward and lower shooting angle... using those floating lights as foregrd and a much accentuated God of Fortune towering those buildings behind.

Actual shooting situation / condition may have prevent this suggested composition.

Make any adjustment in moderation and saved different version, open all up onscreen for comparision.

Thanx for all the great critiques! Thanx!

I don't like this picture because of the over-saturation of colours for one, and second because it feels over-crowded with too many details and nothing to look at really.

Did you over-saturate this using photoshop?

I don't like this picture because of the over-saturation of colours for one, and second because it feels over-crowded with too many details and nothing to look at really.

Did you over-saturate this using photoshop?

No, in fact had to desaturate the red and yellow to prevent color clipping.

It feels like you superimposed Chinatown in front of the Singapore Skyline. Technically, it's a great photo, nicely exposed sky, but as the others had said, too much going on in the image.

Cheers!
gibss.

Technically, I think it is 'correct'. You have well exposed sky, city and scene. Ok, maybe the forground/scene is a bit too bright, so it looks as if its cut and pasted. I kind of like it just to slowly pick at all that is going on. Too bad its too small. I'd suspect its small because of the camera shake done hand held for 6 exposures, which would be obvious if the image is bigger. Good try at the technique anyway. Composition wise, I feel that its the sky that is major culprit for the loss of focus to the image. It does not really add to the story of the picture, but takes up nearly half the screen.

you could remove the green speck of bright light at the background........find it abit distracting...........maybe you can cut off more of the left side as suggested by cabbySHE..........

Why are there cranes on the building, what is that line running across the sky and what are the light post doing on the left 1/4 and right side? PP them away.

Bec the statue is bigger than the building, that may the reason why it looks weird. But it is sure colorful.

I think this image is covered way too much of everything...maybe the photographer trying to present all scene to the viewers, but I dont think it works. because it is too much things inside and they are too distractive. I rather to see the photographer to take off the lights on the water...or maybe as well as some part of the sky...

if this image has been PS, I think you have just make it too contrast...and the color is too much...everything will be great if they are in independent shot!Nice try tho!keep it up!

Too bad its too small. I'd suspect its small because of the camera shake done hand held for 6 exposures, which would be obvious if the image is bigger. Good try at the technique anyway.

Thanx. You are mistaken though, this is just one exposure, I shot 6 frames and picked the sharpest.

you could remove the green speck of bright light at the background........find it abit distracting...........maybe you can cut off more of the left side as suggested by cabbySHE..........

Thanx. I avoid removing things or changing the scene too much. I might clean it up if its a worthy pic with potential.

Why are there cranes on the building, what is that line running across the sky and what are the light post doing on the left 1/4 and right side? PP them away.

Bec the statue is bigger than the building, that may the reason why it looks weird. But it is sure colorful.

Thanx. I avoid removing things or changing the scene too much. I might clean it up if its a worthy pic with potential.

I think this image is covered way too much of everything...maybe the photographer trying to present all scene to the viewers, but I dont think it works. because it is too much things inside and they are too distractive. I rather to see the photographer to take off the lights on the water...or maybe as well as some part of the sky...

if this image has been PS, I think you have just make it too contrast...and the color is too much...everything will be great if they are in independent shot!Nice try tho!keep it up!

Thanx, next year maybe.

Honestly looks like a bad photochop job. The sky looks too bright for the city building background and yet too dark to cast the kind of illumination on the people and objects in the foreground. Very awkward.

any editing done? seems unnatural to me.

Thanx, recovered highlights and shadow details in the RAW file. Reduced red and blue and improved some clarity.

still nice

Not really. If nice, I won't put up for critics.

Honestly looks like a bad photochop job. The sky looks too bright for the city building background and yet too dark to cast the kind of illumination on the people and objects in the foreground. Very awkward.

Thanx. The foreground is illuminated by manmade lights; the CNY lights and the lighting structure of the floating platform.

i just love the sky :bsmilie: