CNY Flower - Beautiful even after full bloom

Status
Not open for further replies.

Justintime

Apr 28, 2008
1.in what area is critique to be sought?

I would like feedback on composition.
I have composed the picture to make the flower stand out. Feel 2 points of distractions, the leaf on the left side which remains sharp and another yellow flower on the top right. Although it is out of focus.

Was thinking if it would be a good choice to blur the leaf on the left side to remove the distraction.

Also like feedback on the colour saturation, I like the bright deep yellow colour of the flower and the overall feel of the pic but honestly, it is less so in reality and more of the in camera saturation and minor PP.

EXIF :
1/125 secs
F/7.1
ISO 200

Attempted to create a bokeh effect with F/7.1 and would like comments on how it turned out.
Used F/7.1 hoping to keep whole flower in focus.

2.what one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?

Wished to emphasized on the 'peeling' effect on this flower as it just began to wither after full bloom. Beautiful even after its full bloom prime.

3.under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)

Took this picture in a outdoor tentage around 2pm in a hot afternoon while shopping for CNY stuffs and flowers. Liked the ample lightnings as it enabled high shutter speeds for handheld shots, smaller apertures and low ISO.

Welcome all C&C :)

The first thing that caught my eye was the flower on the top right. It draws my attention from the central flower to that flower and leads the eye out of the picture. Next time do take note of other objects in your frame other than your main subject.

And the white balance seems a little too "cool".

I personally find the colors are brilliant! I am still trying to make pictures look just like yours (in colors, I mean).

Hihi

Thanks for all the C&C ! :D

Only used the normal UV filters for this shot.

Colours are probably because using tamron 17-50, previously using kit lens, quite difficult capture such colours :)
(But some veterans managed to capture fantastic shots with kit lens too! Its probably my lack of skills... :sweat: )

Also increased contrast very slightly for the in camera JPG settings

As tkbonz had pointed out, I was also being distracted by the other yellow flower. IMHO, I would try to tighten the composition by slanting the main object diagonally spreading across the full frame. Then you will have only one main flower.

Since you wanted to achieve the 'peeling' effect, perhaps you can also try to shoot from side. With that, I suppose you can use larger aperture to cover the main flower with better bokeh.

As tkbonz had pointed out, I was also being distracted by the other yellow flower. IMHO, I would try to tighten the composition by slanting the main object diagonally spreading across the full frame. Then you will have only one main flower.

Since you wanted to achieve the 'peeling' effect, perhaps you can also try to shoot from side. With that, I suppose you can use larger aperture to cover the main flower with better bokeh.

ya hor. the other yellow flower distracted

with regards to point 2, sorry doesn't work for me. it is very hard to notice the "'peeling' effect on this flower as it just began to wither after full bloom". a picture is supposed to speak a thousand words. if you have to explain your intentions then it has failed.

i was also distracted by the leaf at the left part of the flower. Can you make it blurred instead? So the focus is only on the flower.

Status
Not open for further replies.