Cnet Editor Choice for E-500

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can't they get their stories straight? Never trust a computer reviewer to review a camera. Here's what another CNET article has said about the E-500 (taken from a quote on DPReview, http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1022&message=16028278 ):

"Description: The Olympus EVOLT E-500 is an 8-megapixel, point-and-shoot camera. Compared to other point-and-shoot digital cameras on the market, it is expensive at around $800. Includes olympus master software."

Since when is an SLR a point & shoot camera?

"Suitability: A point-and-shoot digital camera, suited for casual use. The largest recommend print size, estimated from the camera's resolution, is 12x16 or larger."

LARGEST recommended print size 12x16 or LARGER???

"Value: Overall, this digital camera's price seems hard to justify, with respect to its features. In fact, you would normally pay nearly 35% less to get a point-and-shoot camera having comparable resolution."

That's becuase it ISN'T a point & shoot camera!

This person obviously doesn't know what a point & shoot camera is. A digital camera is not a computer...if you want a good review, read a photography magazine or go to one of the sites that are dedicated to reviewing cameras, not computer sites like CNET.

Never trust a programmer who carries a screwdriver, and never trust computer people to review cameras!

Mikefellh said:
Can't they get their stories straight? Never trust a computer reviewer to review a camera. Here's what another CNET article has said about the E-500 (taken from a quote on DPReview, http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1022&message=16028278 ):

"Description: The Olympus EVOLT E-500 is an 8-megapixel, point-and-shoot camera. Compared to other point-and-shoot digital cameras on the market, it is expensive at around $800. Includes olympus master software."

Since when is an SLR a point & shoot camera?

"Suitability: A point-and-shoot digital camera, suited for casual use. The largest recommend print size, estimated from the camera's resolution, is 12x16 or larger."

LARGEST recommended print size 12x16 or LARGER???

"Value: Overall, this digital camera's price seems hard to justify, with respect to its features. In fact, you would normally pay nearly 35% less to get a point-and-shoot camera having comparable resolution."

That's becuase it ISN'T a point & shoot camera!

This person obviously doesn't know what a point & shoot camera is. A digital camera is not a computer...if you want a good review, read a photography magazine or go to one of the sites that are dedicated to reviewing cameras, not computer sites like CNET.

Never trust a programmer who carries a screwdriver, and never trust computer people to review cameras!

Yup...E-500 a "point-and-shoot camera" :embrass:

It seems they have two versions of E-500 review...the other one got it right as a 'dSLR'.

Well, in P-mode, E-500 is practically a P&S camera.... albeit a very expensive one at that. :D

I went looking through CNET for the article so I could link directly to it...looks like they've gotten a lot of complaints because they have since updated to a "prosumer" camera rather than a "point & shoot". But I also found the original point & shoot version cached on Google.

Original "point & shoot" version:
http://72.14.203.104/search?q=cache:O4wSkIKt8sYJ:reviews.cnet.com/Olympus_EVOLT_E_500_digital_camera/4545-6501_7-31570633.html+%22A+point-and-shoot+digital+camera,+suited+for+casual+use.%22+e-500&hl=en&client=firefox-a

And the updated "prosumer" version:
http://reviews.cnet.com/Olympus_EVOLT_E_500_digital_camera/4545-6501_7-31570633.html

Still though, I'd rather hear what a photographer has to say about a camera than a computer reviewer. When I went shopping around I was looking for pro photographers who used the camera I wanted to buy.

tao said:
Well, in P-mode, E-500 is practically a P&S camera.... albeit a very expensive one at that. :D

I figured you would have brought up the E-500's SCENE modes or even the AUTO mode.

Status
Not open for further replies.