CMYK setting before printing

Status
Not open for further replies.

louhan

Jun 7, 2006
Hi All, I have a question on CMKY setting, I am currently preparing pictures for product brochure. How I can ensure that the photo I have taken will appear the same as what I see on screen when I send it to the printing company for printing?

Please advise if I use photoshop how can I liase with printing company on the CMYK setting

I'm definitely not an expert when it comes to these things, but I think you would have to first calibrate your monitor using the profiles that the particular printer uses so that both would match. I may be wrong though.

Hi All, I have a question on CMKY setting, I am currently preparing pictures for product brochure. How I can ensure that the photo I have taken will appear the same as what I see on screen when I send it to the printing company for printing?

Please advise if I use photoshop how can I liase with printing company on the CMYK setting
In Photoshop, convert the image color space to CMYK and the resolution to 300dpi. Then, print a copy of the photo and pass it to the printing company to match the colors during proofing stage. Just a note, you won't get 'exactly' the same but you can get pretty close (depending on the printing company).

Hope that helps. Cheers!

things that will affect the final print

colour of paper used
type of paper used
screen line used for colour separation
type of printing machine used

these you can control
this you cannot control

mood of printing machine operator
taste of printing machine operator

btw you will need to profile your input device, profile your screen, profile your output device
including inks, paper and any other variables

and after all that you can only get 80% accurate.
if anyone tell you more, they are not telling the truth

Hi Guys thanks for the reply... may I know how can I calibrate the
monitor accurately as the first step? Thanks

if you are not sure of what you are doing, do NOT convert the file to CMYK... pass the file to the printer in RGB, along with a proof printed by yourself using an RGB file (desktop printers work best with RGB files), and let the printer convert for you...

if possible, get the printer to do a test on their machine to make sure that you like what you see before they go ahead with the print... some may charge you for this service, but usually negotiable...

in any case, 100% colour matching would probably not be possible... be prepared for that, but also make sure the printers do their best to try to match the colour...

I would suggest you go to one of those quick printers in Bras Basah Complex or Selegie and get them to print "proofs" for you... cause most inkjet desktop printers uses more than the standard CMYK inks. Those inkjet prints are too "rich" in colors to be replicated in offset press. Just ask them to print your "RGB" files with CMYK proofing turn "ON" (Most if not all digital printers and color sep companies can work with RGB files). And offset press in SG either use "SWOP" or "Euroscale" colorspace. Ask your offset guy which profile to simulate. You may even bring the actual paper stock for them to print on to get a better simulation. Then bring those digital "Proofs" with your files to them...

Hi All, thanks for your advise. I spoke with the printing company before and they say they
only take TIFF file using CMYK format. To create a proof copy for this printing company, will it be better if i create CMYK + TIFF file for ""quick printers in Bras Basah Complex or Selegie and get them to print "proofs" for you""? Thanks

Hi there,

To make your life easier, just pass the image file to the printing company and ask them to make the color proof for you. From there you can check whether you're ok with the colors and also ask them to make the necessary amendments. How much settings you make on your end doesn't really affect the final outcome because different company will have different 'standards'. The reason why they ask you for TIFF and CMYK format is because that's the basic requirement when submitting images for offset printing. (I am assuming this will be the desired choice of mass printing.)

You can also make your own color proof (some call it digital print proof) at any printing shops at Bras Basah or like I mentioned earlier, make your own color print at home and ask the printing company to match the colors.

Hope that helps. Cheers!

don't believe the shops at bras besah, get the ppl who make the printing plate to do the digital proofs
as the RIP is the same for both the plate and digital proof.

just talk to printer about it

the point of printing your own proofs to your own satifaction is not to match the proofs to the CMYK inks your printer is going to use... it is for the printer to try to match the colour of your proofs... no point doing it at a "Bras Basar" or any printer just to try to "simulate" CMYK ink; defeats the whole purpose right?... sure the printer is not going to be able to match 100%, but they are providing the service and are familiar (hopefully:think:) with their machines and supplies so they should be able to better advice (you would hope;p) what can or cannot be produced rather than guessing it out before hand...

if colour is important, get the printer to match the proofs printed by you... I do not have much faith in digital proofing (if by that is meant providing you with a profile and then viewing an image on a screen) from local printers as most don't really calibrate and profile their presses (and this is from my working relationship with two of the major printers in Singapore... they would rather adjust colour from the print off their machine than profile everything:dunno:)... if possible get them to print actual proofs from their actual printer or from their proofing printer before the actual run of prints...

and even if they insist on getting CMYK files, print your images on your printer in RGB format please... desktop printers are RGB devices...

Just go to Simple Digital (2nd floor) and they can make wonderful prints for you. Their monitors are calibrated so what you see on their screen is very close to what you'll get from their prints. This would certainly help you in getting the colors you desire. If you can make your own print from home, even better. This is to be done before submitting the image file and proof to the offset printing company.

Anyway, hopefully you don't get confused by all this technical process. Its pretty straight forward I must say. You send in your photos in the manner they (the offset printer) want you. Just make sure you have your own color print on your end for the printing company to match with. Other than that, don't get too worked up.

Follow these steps if you're still confused:

1. Make your necessary adjustments in RGB color mode.
2. Once you're done, flatten your file, convert it to CMYK color mode. (You'll notice some colors will become slightly muted but its ok since they are out of gamut for printing.)
3. Save as a copy but keep your original working file unflattened.
4. Make your own proof. You can either opt to print at home or go to any good printing shops e.g. Simple Digital. Print your images in RGB color mode.
5. Send your digital file (in a CD preferably) and your own proof to the offset printer. Send only your CMYK images because they will ignore the RGB files. If possible, pack all of them in clear plastic bag and label them accordingly with the proper instructions.
6. Proofing stage. Printer will send the proof to your doorstep. Check colors, once satisfied, sign off, send back to the printer.
7. Smile and go treat yourself to a nice cup of coffee. ;)

All the best and hope that helps.

PS: From my experience, the only time I need to be 'anal' about colors is usually matching company corporate Pantone colors. But that's another story for another day.

After writing all that, I am just curious... why are you so concerned about the how the colors should turn out? Shouldn't that be the designer's or art directors problem? If you're the designer, you should probably know how things work and wouldn't be posting this. Anyway, if you're doing this for the client, the client should be one signing off the proof. Or it could be you're doing own photography, design, (i.e. everything under one roof) for yourself, then it all makes sense.

Hope no offence taken.

After writing all that, I am just curious... why are you so concerned about the how the colors should turn out? Shouldn't that be the designer's or art directors problem? If you're the designer, you should probably know how things work and wouldn't be posting this. Anyway, if you're doing this for the client, the client should be one signing off the proof. Or it could be you're doing own photography, design, (i.e. everything under one roof) for yourself, then it all makes sense.

Hope no offence taken.

Just helping my friend to do some photography work, so it going to be like "under one roof". Thanks all for your advise.

just one last comment...

if you don't like any part of the colour of the print at any stage, like if you decide to print a proof in Bras Basah or somewhere, or at your final printer, don't be shy to ask them to change it... don't let them convince you that that is what the image colour is from the file and they are just printing what is in the file... if you don't like the colour, get them to adjust it :)

Status
Not open for further replies.