CMOS cleaning

Status
Not open for further replies.

denniskee

Oct 26, 2003
bukit batok
Visit site
not for those with weak heart.

my d60 cmos was very dirty (nothing new, for those who knows)

so last night, in my living room, with only the lights from corridoor.

i put in newly charged batteries, plug in the cable release.

set to bulb mode and fire.

used 2 cotton bud to clean the cmos with a few blow to have some moisture.

tested today, very clean now.:bsmilie: :bsmilie: :thumbsup:

i hope you did not use those normal cotton buds you buy from watsons. :)

i used those cheapo cotton bud. not sure if cotton bud also got different class/grade.

oh! i spent $21 for cleaning today. how much do you charge for cotton bud cleaning? ;)

i believe in teaching a man to fish, not give him/her a fish. :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

thats why i start this thread. but pls, this exercise is not for the weak hearted, i write again.:sweat: :nono:

personally, i wouldnt use those type of cotton buds. first off, they are more than ilkely contaminated with dust. secondly, even though you might think they wont scratch the cmos glass, you wont see the microscopic scratches that they can cause. thats why people dont use cotton cloths to clean lenses.

hi Dennis
haven't seen you in action before!
you mentioned a few blows.. i guess it's the blow from your breathe too? =)

yes, direct from the mouth.;)

hardness of the cotton is enough to scratch surface of a glass:think: . that may be possible if it is a hard particles on the cotton bud. but if straight out of the pack have particles hard enough to scratch glass, who can garentee those lint free cleaning paper dont? those lens pen, lint free cloth that most used to clean their lens, dont you think it is full of dust after using afew times?:dunno:

i use blower to blow away "dust" 1st. i didnt press hard, just lightly "clean" the low pass. those cotton bud i used are of cause straight from the pack. i wouldnt want to use a cotton bud which has been used to clean the ear or something yah.:eek:

anyway, if you dont feel comfortable, than just spend $21 lor.;)

denniskee said:
not for those with weak heart.

my d60 cmos was very dirty (nothing new, for those who knows)

so last night, in my living room, with only the lights from corridoor.

i put in newly charged batteries, plug in the cable release.

set to bulb mode and fire.

used 2 cotton bud to clean the cmos with a few blow to have some moisture.

tested today, very clean now.:bsmilie: :bsmilie: :thumbsup:
If you have air-blower, use it first.

IMHO, air blower (low risk) --> sensor cleaning swap (high risk) --> service centre (someone else risk).

Regards,
Arto.

If the service centre is not crowded......waiting for Q-number- 15 minutes, sensor cleaning- 3 minutes. Should be out of there in 20++ minutes during off-peak hours.:thumbsup:

how do we know the CMOS needs to be cleaned?;p

blithevincent said:
how do we know the CMOS needs to be cleaned?;p
When you are disturbed by dust(s) on the sensor. It will be shown on the photo.
When you don't see or disturbed by any dust(s), no need to clean the sensor. Make your life easy.

Regards,
Arto.

imo,

1) if photo dont have unknown dark spots, dont clean.

2) if photo have abit of unknown dark spots, but you dont find it disturbing, dont clean.

3) if photo have abit of unknown dark spots, but you dont mind doing a little ps-sing, dont clean.

4) if photo have abit of unknown dark spots, but you find it is a hassle to do ps-sing, than it is time to clean the cmos.

i reached stage (4), but my knowledge in engineering tells me i can do the job and save me $21 + a trip to service centre. so i DIY lor.

Status
Not open for further replies.