Clueless with Raw pics taken using Canon 300D

Status
Not open for further replies.

neves_atk

Nov 12, 2003
Hi.

Completely clueless on this..
Took some photos using the 300D on Raw format...
Expect the file to be in .raw instead it come out .crw (canon raw format)
Couldn't open using PS 7.0.

Heard abt the following software that are needed to open the files:
1.Adobe Raw
Qns: This is program by itself??

2.PhaseOne CaptureONE DRebel Edition 1.3
Qns: Think this is included in the two cd-roms (Canon Digital Camera Solutions Disk and Adobe Photoshop Elements) that comes with the 300D kit.
But just in case it not anyone know where can i get the above mention software or download??

New to digital photography so totally clueless abt these technical stuffs. :embrass:

1. To open RAW files from the camera, u either need PS7 with the camera raw plugin or PS8 (PS CS). Alternatively, use the canon software that comes free with your camera.

2. Capture One is available for download at c1dslr.com

Don't bother if you have PS7 only as the Adobe Camera Raw Plug-in does not even support 10D let alone the newer 300D. However, the latest version, Photoshop CS comes with Adobe Camera Raw built-in and will support 300D. So get that if you can.

Alternatively, you can use the free Canon raw conversion software, File Viewer Utility that comes with your camera.

A full-featured 15-day trial version of the Capture 1 DRebel can also be downloaded from www.pictureflow.com and is a great raw conversion software to use.

Another popular 3rd-party alternative is Breezebrowser, now in Version 2.8, which also supports the 300D. A trial version can be downloaded at www.breezesys.com

tks a lot guys...
:)

Don't bother if you have PS7 only as the Adobe Camera Raw Plug-in does not even support 10D let alone the newer 300D. However, the latest version, Photoshop CS comes with Adobe Camera Raw built-in and will support 300D. So get that if you can.

^^ the Adobe camera raw plug in can be "hexedited" to read 10D raw and 300D raw files

I've done it before, its extremely easy. check dpreview for instructions.

However, photoshop 8 cs is a much better choice.. I've haven't played with capture one though, so I can't tell which is better.

loupgarou said:
the Adobe camera raw plug in can be "hexedited" to read 10D raw and 300D raw files

I've done it before, its extremely easy. check dpreview for instructions.

However, photoshop 8 cs is a much better choice.. I've haven't played with capture one though, so I can't tell which is better.

Hex-editing ACR1 just make it accept 10D/300D RAW files as if they are D60 RAW files and it would convert them as if they are D60 RAW files as well using algorithms that were actually designed to work with D60 files. It would be llike using D60 ICC profiles to process 10D/300D RAW files in RAW conversion softwares like FVU, Breezebrowser and C1LE. Not quite right, I should think. But if one is not picky about colour accuracy and cannot get hold of PS CS, then anything goes, I suppose. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.