Clubsnapper's review: Olympus E-10

Status
Not open for further replies.

Falcon

Jan 18, 2002
Hi all,

For the interest of those who are interested in the above cam(including mine), can the owners share with us their personal views/opinions. Pls include the types of shots you normally take, what u like/dislike abt the camera. This is purely your own preference. I know many of the owners have shared their views before but they were found all over the place. Good to consolidate them into one so as to allow easy reference in the future. Do not include links to dpreview, or other review site. Tks in advance.

Below is the sample of the format

Types of shots:

Pros:

Cons:

Link to my images:

Cost: Including some of the common accessories that you may need.(Teleconvertor, flash, etc)

:gbounce:

Ehmm... I guess I should reply eh. ;)

Types of shots:

Well, so far, I have used it to take travel photos, architecture, animals, plants, insects, people on the street, people in the studio, people at a party, a fashion show, some fireworks, other stuff in the studio, etc.

Pros:
* Real color reproduction - could be misconstrued as "flat" though. Great for photoshop post-production. Excellent dynamic range. Prefer real colors than any form of applied saturation.
* Great for studio work
* Fast and sharp lens. Adding its special teleconverters won't make you lose a lot of f-stops either. At the widest (35mm), it can go up to 2.0. Adding the tcon14b (making it effective 205mm) can make it go up to 2.4 with no visible image quality loss. And stacking the tcon14b plus the tcon300 gives you abt 600mm/f2.8 with fairly minimal image quality loss.
* Excellent build quality
* Uses AA Nimhs
* Has a standard sync terminal
* Onboard flash has excellent TTL capability
* I love using the viewfinder
* It and the E20 are the only DSLRs that allow LCD composition
* Love the user interface! I feel that the location of the buttons and dials are just right.
* The infrared remote comes with the standard package. :p
* Its shutter lag is faster than any digicam during its time.
* I love the fact that it has a non-interchangeable lens. I don't have to worry about dust on the CCD, or consider buying a multitude of lenses. I learn better this way.
* No mirror slap. It can be very quiet!

Cons:
* Four-shot buffer
* It's quite slow, all-around (writing to the card, previewing on the LCD and starting up)
* low ISO options and fairly high noise in higher ISOs.

Con workarounds:
* Can't help it. Don't shoot sports. :p
* Can't help it. Just adapt.
* Print it out and the noise just... disappears. :p

Link to my images:
I have a pbase gallery, but it's mixed. It has albums taken with my E-10 and my old Sony P1. The image info should tell which ones are shot with the E-10 though. Oh and, alas, I have not updated my pBase gallery recently, so most of the shots posted there were taken during my early E-10 weeks. Here is the link: http://www.pbase.com/jacqueorenza

Cost:
The camera itself is abt 1.6k SGD currently I think?
I bought it off ebay at about the same price some months ago, and it came with 448mb worth in extra compact flash, plus an olympus action bag.
Accessories:
I have a tcon14b which I bought from rueyloon for SGD200.
I also have a mcon, which I got as a gift.
Oh and I protect the lens with a B+W MRC UV Filter which I got for abt 60SGD I think.
I have a bunch of batteries: 4 sets of 1850 Sanyo niMhs (SGD12 for 4)
I have a suntax 9000DT flash which I got for 70SGD

Tks Que Lynn for taking the time to reply to this thread. Hope more E-10 users will join in soon. Btw do you need flash cable and bracket for your suntax 9000DT flash ? Also what is the thread size of E-10? Need any special adapter?

Originally posted by Falcon
Tks Que Lynn for taking the time to reply to this thread. Hope more E-10 users will join in soon. Btw do you need flash cable and bracket for your suntax 9000DT flash ? Also what is the thread size of E-10? Need any special adapter?

No need for flash cable.

Thread size is 62mm. No need for special adapter.

Just bought mine a week ago.

Originally posted by Falcon
Hi all,

For the interest of those who are interested in the above cam(including mine), can the owners share with us their personal views/opinions. Pls include the types of shots you normally take, what u like/dislike abt the camera. This is purely your own preference. I know many of the owners have shared their views before but they were found all over the place. Good to consolidate them into one so as to allow easy reference in the future. Do not include links to dpreview, or other review site. Tks in advance.

Below is the sample of the format

Types of shots:

Have used it for almost anything from portraits to landscape and anyhting in between except sports or action.

Pros:
*As Que Lynn mentioned, I liked the excellent color reproduction. So much so that I direct print it from my printer w/o any post production for most of my shots. Way much better than the Sony DSC-P5 I have.
*Great macro feature.
*All the controls are located in the right area.
*No need to use LCD for composing.
*Great zoom control. Faster and more precise. Liked it much better than those 'tiptronic' (+/-) style zoom.
*Great TTL flash metering. Perfect flash shots all the time.
* Did not think that the slow start up and write times were that noticeably bad.
* Built like a 'tank', feels much better in my hands than one of those filmsy looking digicams that are so prevalent nowadays.
* Multitude of shooting modes makes every photo opp a cinch.
* Slow flash, 2nd curtain synch for interesting flash shots.
* White Balance is spot on. If not, you cna manually set the white balance for different lighting situations.

Cons:
Does not officially support Microdrives.

Link to my images:
Have yet to upload.

Cost: Including some of the common accessories that you may need.(Teleconvertor, flash, etc)
Camera - $1699
B+W UV filter $60
FL-40 flash + Flash bracket + FL-CB03 flash cable (This cable does not support TTL mode in the flash, only supports Auto.) The only cable that does is the FL-CB02, which is out of stock at the moment. - $900.

Hi Falcon

Someone mentioned the E-10 next to 7Hi make the latter seems like a toy, or for that matter any other cam, looking at the camera live I agree, it has superb build quality and 62mm threads (not 49mmm which I originally thought so ).

Koishe

Originally posted by Koishe
Hi Falcon

Someone mentioned the E-10 next to 7Hi make the latter seems like a toy, or for that matter any other cam, looking at the camera live I agree, it has superb build quality and 62mm threads (not 49mmm which I originally thought so ).

Koishe

So what is the final verdict, kioshe?

Verdict was 7Hi, yesterday went to AP with hard cash and hard-On the the Minolta.

Salesman was saying that Nikon 5000 was more superior to 7Hi , did an A/B on his little Sony Monitor......and presto the Nikon 5000 had better colors and sharper than the 7Hi. It was in a flash I did not even see him doing the test shots and both cams connected t thru his selector box ???....... I was skeptical so "belakang Pusing" for now....can't believe tha 7Hi so crappy compared to Nikon 5000.

AP had the best price at S$ 1,700-00, and the 7Hi felt good, easy to handle and fast. But also had a look at the E-10 looks pro despite it's draw back. Do take note the 7Hi was warm on just a few minutes of use.

Very2 tough........to decide, somemore don't know how true a friend mentioned that Fuji having an updated 602 or new mdl, which would kill both the above cam..........but that's an old story always will be like that no matter which cam you buy.

Koishe

Originally posted by Koishe
Verdict was 7Hi, yesterday went to AP with hard cash and hard-On the the Minolta.

Very2 tough........to decide, somemore don't know how true a friend mentioned that Fuji having an updated 602 or new mdl, which would kill both the above cam..........but that's an old story always will be like that no matter which cam you buy.

Koishe

Ic. What do u mean updated fuji? ANother release by fuji or firmware upgrade.

Status
Not open for further replies.