Clubsnapper's review: Fuji 602z

Status
Not open for further replies.

Falcon

Jan 18, 2002
Hi all,

For the interest of those who are interested in the above cam(including mine), can the owners share with us their personal views/opinions. Pls include the types of shots you normally take, what u like/dislike abt the camera. This is purely your own preference. I know many of the owners have shared their views before but they were found all over the place. Good to consolidate them into one so as to allow easy reference in the future. Do not include links to dpreview, or other review site. Tks in advance. :)

Below is the sample of the format

Types of shots:

Pros:

Cons:

Link to my images:

P.S: for the pros and cons pls include what you like and dislike based on your personal taste. If you can live with a certain flaw of the cam, you can exclude them.

Types of shots:

I've done macro, nightscapes, portraits, street, abstract and misc shots with the S602Z and i must say i am very satisfied & happy with the over-all capabilities of this camera. :)

Pros:

Fast AF (for a DC)
Flash hotshot.
Decent Batt life (2.5 hours on 4 AA 1850 Sanyo Recharge-ables)
Low noise/graininess up to ISO 800 (@ 1MP)
Able to shoot @ 6MP (Interpolation)
Auto mood is intuitive (Good as a P&S camera)

Cons:

Low light AF issue (can be over come in a few diff ways)
Yellow cast when external flash is employed (can be over comed by using custom WB)

Link to my images:
There is a link below to my S602Z gallery

Over-all:
For it's cost. ($1300) for a brand new set, i would say that it's pretty worthy, in terms of functionality, as well as capabilities.

PS: Falcon, selling your UZI and looking ard for a new camera ah? ;) CP 5700, Minolta Dimage, Sony 717 and this camera being considered i see. :D Well, you know which one my heart is with. ;)

I shall welcome you to the S602 club first. (Talk abt predicting ahead huh?) ;)

Types of shots:Action/Sports, Macro, Landscape/Architecture/, Portraits

Pros:Relatively fast AF for a digicam, versatility (6X Zoom, great macro capability, flash hotshoe, wide availability and compatibility with lens/filter attachments.) Relatively low noise at ISO400 and usable ISO1600(1MP) images. Shutter speeds from 15-1/10000 and Apertures from f2.8 to f11, wider range than most digicams. Useful VGA quality movie mode limited only by storage.

Accurate exposure metering, doesn't suffer from contrasty images or blown highlights.
Good battery life (~170 shots on Microdrive /set of Sanyo 1850)

It's strongest virtue is a whole host of features with no glaring weakness.

Cons:
No AF illuminator.

Link to my images:
My Pbase
Photosig
Openlens

Originally posted by Wolfgang
Types of shots:

PS: Falcon, selling your UZI and looking ard for a new camera ah? ;) CP 5700, Minolta Dimage, Sony 717 and this camera being considered i see. :D Well, you know which one my heart is with. ;)

I shall welcome you to the S602 club first. (Talk abt predicting ahead huh?) ;)

Tks in advance for your warm welcome. :) I bet this thread will be the hottest among the 4. Where is darkness, azone, chenwei, imaginary_number, and many more? Hope they will come in soon.

Types of shots: Travel, fashion shows, macros, nature (zoo and birdparks)

Pros:
Fast AF for a digicam,
low noise even at high ISO (400 and 800),
hotshoe for external flash,
lasts very long on cheap and easily available AA batteries,
dual storage (buffer in case the main storage runs out, just need to select the other media and continue shooting),
flash sync at up to 1/1000s,
low cost now ($1100?-1200),
good placement of buttons for fast access to settings,
fast lens at full zoom (F3.1 as opposed),
cheap and easily available adaptors for filters and lenses,
5fps burst mode,
friendly and helpful owners!!! ;p

Cons:
Low-light AF is a problem some times,
lack of flip-out LCD/swivel lens,
no remote control

Link to my images:
http://mpenza.clubsnap.org/albums.php
http://www.photo.net/photodb/user?user_id=425960 (not very updated)

who want to volunteer to write a full review of Fujifilm finefix 602 for ClubSNAP ?

Originally posted by megaweb
who want to volunteer to write a full review of Fujifilm finefix 602 for ClubSNAP ?

think Wolfgang will gladly do so, he has been the unofficial 602z promoter in clubsnap. :D

Originally posted by Tweek

think Wolfgang will glad do so, he has been the unofficial 602z promoter in clubsnap. :D

:) You could do it too based on the experience you had with it.

Originally posted by mpenza

:) You could do it too based on the experience you had with it.

if we go by experience, u'd be one of the best candidates, one of the pioneers to have this baby and u def spent lots of time utilising it! Me, ashamed to say, haven't made full use of it. I don't even have a good gallery of sample pics to show. :embrass:

think Wolfgang will glad do so, he has been the unofficial 602z promoter in clubsnap. :D

Me?

I wouldn't dare even start. Too inexperienced with this camera. Need to use it even more intensively before i would even dare to say i'm comfortable around it. :)

But just out of curiousity, what are the sections/fields required in the review? :dunno:

(Anyway, i promised to write another article and i have not gotten round to it yet. Sorry Darren) :embrass:

:)

:bsmilie: :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

Hi Falcon,

PMed you b4 abt this; so let me just cut and paste + add a little bit more :D

First of all, I've no regrets getting the 602Z. Here're couple of reasons why I chose it in the first place (in order of priority):
- impressive video capture mode for a digi still cam
- 6 MP o/p (I know it's over-hyped but I'll talk abt it later)
- 6 X zoom
- SuperCCD (check this out)
- Dual media (a max 128 MB + 1 GB in the cam anytime)
- AA batts
- good batt life
- fastest autofocus among cams in its league
- SLR-like body
- Best value for money prosumer dc

Abt 6 MP o/p: Ok, I know straight out of the cam, the images don't look that good. But the pt is, when it is resized for displaying on the web or printed, it looks great (that's the purpose of a dc, isn't it?). And of course, who would need to display a 6 MP or even a 3 MP image on the web? I believe Fuji considered when they came up with this cam. Additionally, 3 MP mode is just as good (if not better) than other 3MP cams out there.

Having said all these, it can't really stand out when you compare its images to those from cams like the 717. But the 602Z does put up a good fight considering the large price difference. But this is not really an issue 'coz some post-processing could always be done to sharpen and enhance the image (note: this is subjective).

Bottom line is, if you're looking at prosumer dcs and you're budget conscious, then welcome to the 602Z club :D :bsmilie: :devil:

As expected, this has been the most popular of the 5 thread i posted. Keep them coming. I do appreciate it very much.

wau, dun miss out me... ;p not fully familiar with it but can point out my views!

Types of shots: Macro, nightscape, street & nature

Pros:
  1. Easy access to function using Shift button (this is the one i like most!)
  2. Preview b4 saving (i did make lots of mistake)
  3. 6X zoom! (after my roynax 1.8x... heheee...)
  4. VERY helpful owners (mpenza, wolf etc)
  5. external flash (when used really different...)
  6. AA batteries (save my money!)
  7. fast AF
  8. looks pro (at least i feel, though can't really compare... :embrass: )
    [/list=1]

Cons:
    1. No AF illuminator
    2. No swivel LCD
      [/list=1]

Link to my images:
      cw213.net galleries

Overall, I really love this cam so much, the only weakness i very mind is that there is no AF illuminator... :cry: the AF when i tried in street shoots really amazing... :thumbsup:

My only experience with the S602Z so far is... AA batts are great!! I went for a photo shoot last Sat and forgot to bring my spare set of NiMH batts. No problem! I bought the Duracell Ultra M3, which lasted me as long as a fresh set of NiMH. Simply cool... :cool:

I think I'll need at least a few more months to get acquainted with this camera.

We have more 602 users than we think ! :p

Pros:
-user friendly controls
-quick access to functions, easy to change settings
-uses AA batteries with very long/good battery life !
-manual focus a plus
-1min 320x240 video recording with CF, unlimited with SM or MD
-not sure if possible with other DCs, but u can plug into the TV and use it as an LCD (great for parties !)
- tripod screw thread in the middle of the lens barrel (heavy part) instead of middle of the camera (less likely to tilt offbalanced on a tripod)
- 52mm filters (and other accessories) are still considered very affordable !

Cons:
- no swivel LCD
- poor low batt indicator - often shows too late !
- no TTL
- no cable release
- a little trouble with dimly lit places like inside auditoriums etc..

Originally posted by shawntim
We have more 602 users than we think ! :p

U r more than welcome. Keep them coming. :gbounce:

What kind of accessories do you guys have? Must know how much more I have to invest other than the cam itself. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.