Status
Not open for further replies.

Simon

ClubSNAP Admin
Staff member
Jan 17, 2002
ClubSNAP
simon.clubsnap.org
This is just a preview of the upcoming Kodak Pro 14n DSLR. Due to the fact that this is still a pre-production unit, a more detailed review of the production unit will be done at a later stage when Kodak Pro 14n is officially released.

10 points demonstrations (cut and paste from Kodak)

1. Lens

This camera is compatible with the majority of users existing Nikon lens. Due to the fact that the sensor is THE SAME SIZE AS FILM, there is no magnification factor therefore a 18mm lens is equal to a 18mm lens.

This means that a photographer can use digital in the same way as film. Note the D100, S1 and D1x all have a small sensor thus multiplying the lens by a factor of @1.5, so with these cameras a 18mm lens=27mm lens.

2. Digital Design

The camera is based on the best features from the F/N80 and F5 film camera combined with a new metal bladed shutter.

a. Nikon compatible release port from the F5
b. Screw n flash sync from F5
c. Nikon multi zone Metering from F/N80/F5
d. D-TTL system compatibility from the Nikon series.

This shows a different approach to converting a film camera to shoot digital. Due to the need to build around the larger sensor, this is a digital camera that utilizes the best features from its film predecessors.

3. Speed

The firewire connection on the Pro14n is 4 times faster than the quickest connection speed of any other digital camera on the market. 128Mb per second connections are possible. Combined with a new firmware feature called “Priority Preview” which allows on screen viewing of thumbnails faster than ever before.

4. Battery power

The camera uses the latest cellphone lithium-ion battery technology, this gives a 300-600 images capacity with a 1.5 hour recharge in a ultra light compact housing. The camera comes with a battery and charger and mains power supply.

5. Durability

The camera is build around a magnesium body to give the maximum strength with the minimum of extra weight. A feature only found on the most expensive range of professional cameras.

6. Display / firmware

The camera comes with a bigger brighter screen and user upgradeable firmware – this means that the camera is upgradeable by the user after downloading new firmware from the web. Note the camera comes with a FULL range of software for raw image access, Updates for firmware and software are available to the user via the Kodak web site.

7. Dual Mode function

Basic Digital mode – The camera is shipped in basic mode allowing the 1st time user to deal only with the most important features (ISO, File size, etc.)

Later as the user becomes more conversant with the camera, they can switch to advanced mode and customize the camera to an incredible degree.

8. On Screen Help

On Screen help – the “bitmap” display can show on screen help on any menu items “a built in manual inside the camera available at the touch of a button”

9. Smart Storage

The camera has 2 slots – a CF compact flash and a MMC slot.

Kodak has taken the concept of dual storage a step further than any digital camera manufacturers. The systems also allows different resolutions of the same image so a 14, 6 or 3 Mb raw file to the compact flash and a 14, 6, 3 or 1MB ERI jpeg to the MMC slot.

So for example for the insurance, the systems allows the user to store the same image 14Mb twice – once as a raw file to the compact flash and a 2nd as a ERI jpeg to the mmc card.

Or the user can shoot a 14Mb Raw and be storing a 1Mb ERI jpegs to be sent to a art director in another location.

10. Portrait Release

The portrait release incorporates a orientation sensor – this means that all portrait images are automatically tagged with their orientation and rotated when the images are viewed in software.

aab.jpg

aaa.thumb.jpg
aac.thumb.jpg
aad.thumb.jpg
aae.thumb.jpg

The excuse I am waiting for to upgrade from the S1...
1. Lens

This camera is compatible with the majority of users existing Nikon lens. Due to the fact that the sensor is THE SAME SIZE AS FILM, there is no magnification factor therefore a 18mm lens is equal to a 18mm lens.

;)

I think one big point a lot of people don't realise or miss out as it's very hard to find is that it's still using the F80/D100's CAM900 autofocus module as opposed to the F5/F100's CAM1300! Someone please correct me if i'm wrong! :eek:

Just a minor quibble on my part but speedy autofocus is important to me.:D But it's a one heckuva sexy body!:devil:

Please post all your Kodak DCS 14n Digital Camera Technical Related question here, and ClubSNAP will try to get Kodak Professional Division Engineer to answer them.

some questions -
1. What modifications were made to the F80-based body?
2. What AF motor module? CAM900 or CAM1300?
3. Physical dimensions (size, weight, handling)?
4. Does it use the Matrix Metering of the F80/F100 or the Colour Matrix Metering of F5?
5. Flash sync speed?
6. What settings are featured in the Basic Mode?
7. Is a full listing of specifications available?
8. Why the decision to use the F80 body instead of F100 or F5 (e.g. the F5-based DCS760)

by the way, there's a Pre-Order for Kodak DCS 14n going on now, anyone intersted? ;p

Originally posted by willyfoo
Estimated Price???

Willy... :D :devil:

I'll be the first in line for your D100. ;)
Anyhow's, i'm pretty curious aout the price myself. ;)

PS: I thought i'm the only one up @ this ungodly hour. Et tu Willy? :D

Status
Not open for further replies.