ClubSNAP Photographer of the Year 2008 Competition - Theme 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darren

ClubSNAP Admin
Staff member
Jan 16, 2002
Melbourne
We are extremely pleased to bring to our members (with the generous sponsorship of Nikon Singapore) our very first ClubSNAP Photographer of the Year 2008 photography competition.

First and foremost, the PRIZES!

First place winners for each of the bi-monthly themes will receive a Nikon COOLPIX S51c camera.
Points will be awarded to the Top 10 images as selected by a Panel of Judges.

At the end of the competition, total number of points won for each bi-monthly theme will be tallied and prizes awarded as follows:-

1st Place : Grand Prize of a Nikon D300 Digital SLR camera (or its equivalent).
2nd Place : Second Prize of a Nikon D80 Digital SLR camera (or its equivalent).
3rd Place : Third Prize of a Nikon D40 Digital SLR camera (or its equivalent).
4th - 10th Places : Merit Prize of a Nikon COOLPIX P50 camera (or its equivalent).

Read on for more details!

----------------------------

ClubSNAP Photographer of the Year 2008 Photography Competition

A) General Information
  1. Sole Sponsor - Nikon Singapore
  2. Organizer - ClubSNAP Photography Community
  3. Competition Format - 12 month running total photography competition consisting of 6 bi-monthly themes. Themes and timeframes as follows :-
    • Theme 1 : Festivities - February/March 2008 - Closed
    • Theme 2 : Contemplation - April/May 2008 - Now open for submission
    • Theme 3 : To be advised - June/July 2008
    • Theme 4 : To be advised - August/September 2008
    • Theme 5 : To be advised - October/November 2008
    • Theme 6 : To be advised - December 2008 / January 2009
  4. Points will be awarded to the top 10 entries by a team of Judges comprised of Nikon Singapore, selected individuals of the ClubSNAP Administration team and invited guest/celebrity photographers as follows :-
    • 1st place - 20 points
    • 2nd place - 15 points
    • 3rd place - 10 points
    • 4th - 10th places - 8 points
  5. The 1st Place winner for each bi-monthly theme will receive a Nikon COOLPIX S51c camera.
  6. Grand Finale - At the end of Theme 6, the grand finale winners will be tallied based on their total accumulated points and prizes will be awarded as follows :-
    • 1st Place - Grand Prize of a Nikon D300 DLSR camera (or its equivalent.)
    • 2nd Place - Second Prize of a Nikon D80 DSLR camera (or its equivalent.)
    • 3rd Place - Third Prize of a Nikon D40 DSLR camera (or its equivalent.)
    • 4th - 10th Places - Merit Prize of a Nikon COOLPIX P50 camera (or its equivalent.)
B) Eligibility
  1. The ClubSNAP Photographer of the Year 2008 competition is open to all registered members of ClubSNAP Photography Community, up to and including appointed Moderators.
  2. Nikon Singapore employees, ClubSNAP Administrators and Moderators who are selected as Judges for the competition are not eligible.
  3. Entries for this competition must be taken in the calendar year 2008 onwards (from January 2008 till January 2009).
  4. Images entered into the competition must have been taken by the entrant and possess all the necessary rights belonging to the entrant.
  5. Images that have won prizes in prior competitions, or have been used for commercial purposes and/or been published will not be eligible for entry.
C) Submitting Entries
  1. Beginning February 2008 (and every two months thereafter), a Entry Submission thread will be published inside the ClubSNAP Forums and a corresponding section in the ClubSNAP Gallery will be opened to accept images.
  2. To enter the competition, entrants must upload their entries to the correct section in the ClubSNAP Gallery.
  3. Each photographer is only allowed ONE (1) entry per theme.
  4. Submission and uploading of image(s) to the Competition Gallery indicates that the photographer has agreed to the terms and conditions of the competition.
D) File Format and Required Digital Information
  1. Maximum size per JPEG image accepted is 500KB
  2. All images submitted must have EXIF information intact and showing the following information :-
    • Camera
    • Aperture information
    • Shutter speed information
    • ISO
    • Date
  3. Original image must be from a 3Megapixel camera or better.
  4. Winners (top 10 images) of the bi-monthly themes will be required to submit the original image to ClubSNAP before prize(s) can be collected, failing which the entry will be disqualified and the prize(s) forfeited. Procedure for submission of original images will be announced at a later date.
  5. Film Users - scanned entries at the appropriate size can be uploaded to the Competition Gallery. If a scanned film entry is chosen as a winner, a higher-resolution scan of at least 1200x1800 pixels must be submitted to ClubSNAP prior to award of prize(s). Failure to comply will result in disqualification and forfeit of prize(s).
  6. Only ONE (1) entry per photographer is allowed for each bi-monthly theme. Image must not exceed 500KB in size.
  7. Identifying marks, Watermarks, Signature - No watermarks, identifying marks or signature will be allowed for images entered into the Competition.
E) Image Editing and Enhancement
  1. Image enhancements may be applied to optimize an entry for the Competition.
  2. There must not be any significant removal or addition of elements in the image. To clarify:-
    • Adjustments to color, saturation, contrast, brightness and sharpening are allowed.
    • Cropping of images is allowed.
    • Cloning must be limited to general cleaning work - significant addition or removal of elements in the composition is prohibited.
    • Dodging and burning is permitted.
    • Perspective adjustments for correction of lens distortion is permitted.
F) Judging
  1. A Panel of Judges comprised of the ClubSNAP Administrators, representatives from Nikon Singapore, selected individuals of the Moderator team and independent distinguished photographers invited by ClubSNAP or Nikon Singapore will sit in on every judging.
  2. The decision of the Panel of Judges is final.
  3. The organizers will not enter into any correspondence regarding the judging or organization of the competition.
G) Notification
  1. Bi-Monthly theme winners will be announced in the Forums as well as be notified via an email and Private Message sent approximately 14 days after the close of the bi-monthly theme.
  2. ClubSNAP members are advised to update their particulars (especially their email address) in their profiles to avoid any breakdown in communications.
  3. If there is no response from the winner by a specified date, the status will be revoked and the entry deemed null and void.
H) Copyright
  1. The Entrant
    • The entrant must be the sole author and owner of copyright, intellectual property and all other proprietary rights for the image(s) entered into the Competition.
    • Photographers retain full copyright of all images entered into the Competition.
    • It is the legal responsbility of the Entrant, and not the organizers or sole sponsor, to ensure compliance with all ownership and copyright requirements, and own the rights to reproduce the image(s).
    • Entries which do not fulfil the above criteria will be deemed ineligible and will be disqualified.
  2. The Organizer and Sponsor
    • The Sole Sponsor (Nikon Singapore) and Organizer (ClubSNAP) reserve the non-exclusive right, for a limited period ending 31st December 2009, to publish, reproduce, display, distribute and show on screen, any winning image on associated websites, photo exhibitions, tradeshows, prints or any other media which is under the management of the sponsor and organizer. In all cases where such images are used, the sponsor and organizer reserve the right to do so without obtaining the further prior permission of the winner, and without offering any further compensation of any form. However, where any image is reproduced in print, the photographer will be credited.
I) Prizes
  1. The organizers and sponsor reserve the right to change or add to the prizes and substitute with a comparable alternative. Any changes will be posted on the competition website. Prizes are non-transferable and no cash equivalent will be offered. If the quality of entries falls below the required standard, the organizers and sponsor reserve the right not to award a prize/prizes.
J) Liability
  1. Images are uploaded at the photographer’s own risk and the organizers regret they cannot accept any liability for the unauthorized duplication or use of images submitted to the Competition Gallery.
K) Agreement to Abide By Competitions Rules, Terms & Conditions
  1. Submission and Uploading of an image to the specified Competition Gallery indicates to the Organizer and Sponsor that the Entrant has read and agreed with the Terms & Conditions of this Photography Competition.
The organizer and sponsor reserves the right to amend or modify the above terms and conditions of the Competition as required, wherein adequate notification and announcement on the changes will be made known to the Entrants and members in a reasonable manner.

The second bi-monthly theme for the photography competition will be Contemplation.

Deadline for submission for entries will be 23rd May 2008
(based on timestamp on Gallery server).

Entries are to be uploaded to the following section on the Gallery server :-

Theme 2 : Contemplation Competition Gallery (click to view)

Remember to login before uploading.

woa... the theme seems tough to me though...:dunno:

woa... the theme seems tough to me though...:dunno:

The subject and approach to the theme is for the photographer to interpret.

My advise is not just approach it in a straightforward and conventional manner. Showcase your interpretation thru your image using your creativity and imagination for the judges to see. That's my tip ;) :)

there are a few good ones already in the gallery. :)

problem now is how NOT to repeat the shots. ;p

Hi

I am a new member (came in here to learn from the others) how to take good pictures for our Drumming Community in Singapore. so I'm definetely not ready for this area ...but I think it is highly commendable that ClubSNAP here had done a great job into getting Nikon to sponsor such for the Members here.

Keep up the great job guys (Admin & Moderators & Committee) ...cheers !

PS: - It's always never easy to get sponsorship and I know it - as how we got it for Drum Xchange Singapore...You guys deserve the credibilty for a job well done - for the Community at large here.

Eric Wong
Committee of Drum Xchange Singapore
for
Drums & Percussion Section
Forum Moderator (Soft's Music Singapore)

me also dont understand what's it meaning :( I read it then like all about religion..... Me england private limited.....

Anyone can pm me what's it mean?

to put it very very simply (and simplified) - it just mean deep in thought, or thinking quietly and seriously about an issue.

of course, as chngpe01 said, it is up to you how to interpret it based on the meaning. ;p

me also dont understand what's it meaning :( I read it then like all about religion..... Me england private limited.....

Anyone can pm me what's it mean?

like someone standing at the edge of a tall building contemplating / thinking of jumping down

to put it very very simply (and simplified) - it just mean deep in thought, or thinking quietly and seriously about an issue.

of course, as chngpe01 said, it is up to you how to interpret it based on the meaning. ;p

Thanks ;)

Just checking, if I send in a picture taken on film using my holga. I would not have this

images submitted must have EXIF information intact and showing the following information :-

* Camera
* Aperture information
* Shutter speed information
* ISO
* Date

So can I still submit?

Just checking, if I send in a picture taken on film using my holga. I would not have this

images submitted must have EXIF information intact and showing the following information :-

* Camera
* Aperture information
* Shutter speed information
* ISO
* Date

So can I still submit?

Yes you can, please write your information down in the comments/remarks column esp the date it is taken (please note rules S/no B, 3 )

like someone standing at the edge of a tall building contemplating / thinking of jumping down

great mind think alike :) and i have shot it liao and just saw your post as i want to see the rules again to double confirm can i convert into black and white and even dodge and burning is allow :)

Status
Not open for further replies.