ClubSnap Photobook Plan!

Status
Not open for further replies.

jsbn

Jul 24, 2002
Planet Eropagnis
Hi guyz, here it is. Da plans for my photobook. Hope to see some more ideas on how to improve it!

======= START =======
MAIN THEME: GROWING UP, SINGAPORE

This photobook, endorsed by Clubsnap, will consist of 4 parts:
- Child
- Teenager/NSMan
- Young Working Adult
- Retirement

Each particular series shows the development of a person in the particular phase in Singapore. Each part would have their unique theme relating to the main theme.

=== Q&A ===

QUESTION: HOW DOES IT REVOLVE AROUND THE INITIAL IDEA OF MRT STATIONS?

ANSWER: With the exception of owning a private transport, every Singaporean, as a child, teenager, adult or ah pek, would definitely take the MRT at least once in their lifetime. In this case, since we are portraying the heartlander, all Singaporeans would probably have been to all the 64 MRT stations already without realising this fact! As such, portraits and scenery photos would probably have an MRT station in the background!

QUESTION: WHAT IS THE GENERAL PHOTOGRAPHY STYLE THAT REVOLVES AROUND EACH PHASE?

ANSWER: The general guideline is to ensure that photos reflect on what a person sees in each phase of their lives.

For example, in the case of the 1st phase, childhood. A child from the age of 3 probably learns how to walk and since they are not studying, parents would probably bring them to places of interests like Zoo, Birdpark, Orchard Road, the Supermarket downstairs, playgrounds, the Fountain at Bugis Junction, picnics, the Wet Market, etc.

Whilst these places may seem like your usual gathering shoot, the biggest challenge in the first phase of the shoot would be that the photographer MUST be able to lower his camera to hip or waist level (which is the approximate height of a child) in order to capture moments that are seen through the height of a child.

Of cos, I dun want to tekan all of you, so there will be times in the story where the child would be picked up by an adult, so u guys can shoot from normal eye level.

Of course, its a fact that some children develop pretty late physically, so there's a degree of acceptance for OOF shots. :)

QUESTION: YOU MENTIONED A STORY?

ANSWER: Yes, a story. The idea of this photobook is to let the story flow in terms of a diary form, deceipting the life of a person, living in a HDB flat growing up in Singapore.

QUESTION: WHAT IS THE NAME, RACE, GENDER IS THE CHILD?

ANSWER: It has to be a male! Sorry girls, whilst you are invited to get involved in this project, due to the fact that Singapore is prolly the only South-East Asia country to introduce compulsory military conscription and guys are unfortunate enuff to experience the rush of military life, which girls are missing out in this part of the world.

As for Race, I'll be putting up a poll to decide what race is the child gonna be.

For the name, I'm not revealing! :sticktong Oh well, the fact is that, I haven't thought of a name yet. Why don't you help me? :D

QUESTION: SO, BACK TO BUSINESS. ARE U GONNA TURN THIS INTO A COMMERCIAL VENTURE?

ANSWER: The answer is "NO". Unless the admins are gonna turn it into a commercial venture, for which they have the muscle for it. I'm juz your normal civilian with no contacts, small network and stuff like that. It all will depend on the Bosses.

QUESTION: I WANT MY PHOTO TO BE IN!!! I DON'T CARE!!!

ANSWER: The medium for this photoshoot would be entirely up to the photographer. But those using regular 35mm, MF or even LF cameras would prolly have to fork out the development and scanning cost for the photos. Logic appeals: Digital would be a cheaper way. hehehe...

I'm not a true-blue qualified professional photographer, but just like all of you, I'm an enthusiast. The ones selecting your photos would be the admins and moderators. So much as all of us shoot and shoot, there isn't even a guarantee for myself that my own photos would appear if its crapped out.

QUESTION: NO COMMERCIAL VENTURE? SO HOW ARE YOU GONNA START OUT?

ANSWER: Thanks to the generousity and support of Clubsnap bosses, Darren had thought of making this into an editorial kind of thing in Clubsnap. So for phase 1, we will be making it into one of the editorial articles in Clubsnap, guage the response to it before deciding whether its feasible to go onto Phase 2 (the Teenager/NSMen part). I don't want to start it all off only to terminate it midway and leave everyone hanging. To divide it into 4 parts would ensure that whilst everyone's efforts are being counted and appreciated, it can also serve as a response guage and to be fair to everyone.

QUESTION: OK, PHASE 1. SO WHAT ARE YOU PROPOSING FOR THIS SHOOT?

ANSWER: I'll be working on the rough storyline for now, so it'll be out when the trial shoot would begin next week. All I ask is for all of u to shoot-shoot-shoot! I'll tell all of you before the trial shoot, what to look out for. :)

QUESTION: 'TRIAL SHOOT'? THAT MEANS CHIN CHAI SHOOT OSO CAN? :D

ANSWER: I call it 'trial shoot' as I'm not sure of the response guage everyone will have to phase 1. Thus, until I move onto the 2nd phase of the project, I will refer all photo shoots in phase 1 as 'trial shoots'.

QUESTION: ENUFF OF THE TOK-TOK-TOK, EXACTLY WHEN ARE YOU PLANNING TO SHOOT?

ANSWER: I understand that all of you are busy people, so shoots would only be conducted on either Friday nights, Saturday morning, afternoon or evening. Of cos, if you're one of those who never leaves your house without a camera, we welcome your weekday contribution as well if it falls in line with what we're looking out for the week!

======= END ========

That's basically end of my plan. We will start off with phase 1 - Child. So any ideas or input guys?

You mentioned mrt in the background? If you are shooting a kid in the zoo, how to get the mrt in the background?

Old photos acceptable?

Going by the plot of revolving around one person, the stations involved in phase 1 should be very localised, cos a child cant possibly been to all the MRT stations.

Only when he's a little more grown up then he will travel more right? Thats when the other stations come into play. It's good at this stage as it keep the scope small and simple.

He must definately be staying nearer one of the stations, so most of the pictures would be of some MRT station in residential estates right? so where is he staying?

Of course some other stations would come into the story, but it all depends on the storyline, but they have to be consistent and not too exageratted, such as he has relatives staying near all 50 MRT stations and he visits every one of them.

Just keep things simple and decide on which MRT stations to use for phase 1. A little planning at the start will cut down on unnecessary wastage.

Hehehe... Sorry, old photos are not accepted. I'd prefer newer ones. :D Anyway, if we're talking abt the child going out on a trip, he would have to take the bus or MRT right? So what will u (assuming if you are the child) look at?

I'm not forcing everyone to meet and den make everyone shoot together. I feel it'll kinda restrict u guyz to 1 particular area.

I'll designate a photo or two for a single MRT station background shot for phase 1. The neighbourhood in which Phase 1 is to be shot at would be decided pretty soon, I'll give u guyz the basic theme for the neighbourhood shoot and u all Own Time Own Target.

But assuming if the child's parents bring him out for family gatherings and stuff like dat, we would have to meet up and coordinate the shoot.

For now, to maintain the flexibility, I'll post up details of the neighbourhood shoot soon. Organised shoot to come at a later stage. :)

I do think the creative construct of the theme is a little too restrictive and may be difficult to execute. However, it is your initiative and I am happy to go along with it. So, dkw at your service! :)

Cheers,

Sorry for the lack of updates, been very busy these past few dayz, slept very little. :(

It seems that there are not many ppl protesting or wad even though there are a couple of hundred views? Kinda strange.

Anyway, I'll do up a sample page ASAP (I do hope I can get it done up fast), and post up samples of it here. I dun want to say something, all of you guyz rush out to shoot and eventually the idea gets rejected and all your efforts gets wasted.

The next update might be a little long as I do up the pictures and a sample page for you guyz. Of cos, my photography skills are NOT honed to perfection, so dun expect professional grade style. :)

Peace. Do check this thread back by next week or so.

jsbn said:
ANSWER: The general guideline is to ensure that photos reflect on what a person sees in each phase of their lives.

Would that mean if I'm shooting the "Teenager/NSMan" phase, I'll be mostly taking pictures of pretty, sexy, scantily dressed teenage girls? ;p

Personally, I find the regulations too limiting. It's almost like someone telling me what to shoot, how to shoot it. It sounds like you want everything to shoot in your style... e.g. "the photographer MUST be able to lower his camera to hip or waist level". I've nothing against this theme or idea, in fact I'm all for it! Just that the implementation could have more freedom to allow personal expression.

Hmm... Like dis har? I'm sure a lot of people might be in disagreement. I'm pretty much a noob at this kinda projects though.

I guess my plan leaves very much to be desired. Thanks for your feedbacks! I'll make more changes to it. :)

Peace. No grudges guys. I really appreciate that people are willing to give me such honest feedbacks to improve. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.