Clubsnap photo critiques could be better...

Status
Not open for further replies.

marcwang

Jan 9, 2003
East Singapore
www.pbase.com
Hi there,

WARNING: This is a potential flaming, controversial topic. So dont take it to heart people. Its only a forum.

I feel that clubsnappers could do better with more informative comments they make on pictures posted on the photo gallery section. When people post images to be critique, I believe, as much as they want to show the world how good their images are, they would like to improve as well.

ANd the clubsnappers does not seem to provide such constructive comments. I personally feel that comments should contain relevent information, in terms of technicality, composition, etc. , not just loads and loads of "awesome image" kind of comments. Not unless the images are ansel adam class of pictures, I believe all images posted now, have room for improvement.

I have been to various forums, and the comments I receive sometimes, are really good... and they have led me to better pictures.

I'm not saying all comments are not good.... I've got quite a few good ones here from frank people. Just that if people were to comment, I believe a little more effort would be helpful and useful. This will make the forum so much better. And of course, words of encouragement are never wasteful, because confidence can be often shown in your images.

I still love this forum, nothing beats a homely forum. I just hope it gets better and better... :lovegrin:

SO.... here u go! Any thoughts ?

What happens to the beginners who like what they see but have nothing in turn of constructive comments to offer 'cos they are still learning themselves? ;)

Yes, I also have this feeling since I am still a newbie.

I always add in a clause saying "From a newbie viewpoint" or "personally, i feel that..." coz I know that I am not so good with technicalities and can only comment on whether I like or not or whether I think the composition is nice or not.

Not so good for me to say that the photo is underexposed when actually it's not or it's the photographer's intention to make it so maybe for artistic reasons.

Anyway, thought it's good for photographers to hear from layman as well coz photos are meant for all to view and appreciate. And from the comments here, you will know whether experts like it or not and what layman will think of your photo.

So, there's pros and cons I think. ;p

foxtwo said:
What happens to the beginners who like what they see but have nothing in turn of constructive comments to offer 'cos they are still learning themselves? ;)

I agree with you sir, As for me, I'm still a beginner, I don't give good comments but i really wanted to express my feeling, my thoughts on certain photos, how i think about certain post ect. That's why i make a reply to a thread. But people may think that i'm such a nuisance beginner. If starter don't have a chance to make a post on photos, but only eligible to KOPITIAM, then how are we going to improve?

Also, I think reading on certain Thread clearly before you make any replies is significant, i did make some silly comment where it is not relevant to the main topic, So those that are familiarity with this forum may get fed up, as they are asking the best quality that this forum can produce. I do ask for alot in this forum, i ask for, quick and good comments/teaching on this forum ect. So..oh well :sweat:

foxtwo said:

This is a very good point. If you feel/think it is nice, then what is wrong abt letting the poster know abt it. At least, you bother to write something encouraging. Just look at some of the posts here, you have few hundreds of views but 0 comment. I think this is worse. The poster will probably be either guessing his/her work is too perfect or too lousy.

The comment "good shot!" without elaborating on why the shot is GOOD always begs the question, "good for what?". In my opinion, there are 2 possibilities. Either it's a lazy poster not keen on elaborating more or a feel good kind of post. You know what I mean...

If a shot is bad, pray tell the poster that it's bad so that he/she can improve. If you do, make sure you criticise the photo objectively and not bias your views based on other "external" factors. MOST of the people won't criticise much because we do knows that the posters WILL get offended even if the comments are valid.

There will be occasional troublemakers though, who tries to pass off what they wrote as genuine critiques but you can identify one when you read what they wrote so no worries on that. :)

Everyone has a different standard set for themselves but when you critique, use your own standards.

ahh.... this is a topic which is dear to jasphotography's heart! :)

Ok here's my list of pointers for everyone :p

• P mode doesn't stand for Perfect.
  • We do not share the same skin tone as Pink Panther/Incredible Hulk/Jaundice Man.
  • Read up on metering/measuring light! To simplify, your camera sees black as grey and white as grey too!
  • Digital images straight from the camera does not have the wide exposure latitude like print film, do not pretend it does. :D
  • Nice bokehs doesn't only come from big apertures, working distance matters too.
  • Before you shoot, ask yourself why are you shooting.
  • A bounce card is more useful than a Stofen Omnibounce.

CaeSiuM said:
The comment "good shot!" without elaborating on why the shot is GOOD always begs the question, "good for what?". In my opinion, there are 2 possibilities. Either it's a lazy poster not keen on elaborating more or a feel good kind of post. You know what I mean...

If a shot is bad, pray tell the poster that it's bad so that he/she can improve. If you do, make sure you criticise the photo objectively and not bias your views based on other "external" factors. MOST of the people won't criticise much because we do knows that the posters WILL get offended even if the comments are valid.
I think CaeSiuM's theology is a bit untrue (for me)... there are people who look beyond the technicalities and do understand the limitations of the surroundings when the shots were taken, given the fact that these aren't really important and shouldn't be accounted for, what's wrong with saying "good shots"? I'm not being lazy, am I?

Just take a look at anybody's bird shots, understanding the technicality, situation, will make anybody understand that given that kind of range, and to keep the image sharp, sometimes distracting background cannot be avoided. You can't expect the nature photographers to go up close use bounce flash, wide apertures and twist break away branches to get the shot. It's better to have the shot and yet miss out on some technicalities than to lose the shot totally, isn't it?

I do agree with you on the 2nd paragraph, I've recieved very good critiques from many other CSers as well, harsh is good, cos it edges me (a photocopier) to think and evaluate myself further. But of course, stupid comments from stupid oxes & monies can be ignored. ;) If somebody is just out to achieve a "good good good good" and cannot take "bad bad bad bad" for a comment, of course... no point commenting is there? Reminds me of the time I had a fight with somebody "Pro ....." . Oh well... comment to those who truly wants to learn/improve. And yeah, will listen too :)

alot of times i also dun get any comments too. either that or not useful

I think the biggest hindrance to constructive critiques and advice is the level of maturity of members in this forum.

Critiques, opinions, comments, advice, are subjective and personal. People come with different ideas of what works and what do not. Mostly from knowledge gained from experiences and gleaned from serious study. Experiences of others may differ. Theoretical knowledge differs widely. For example I almost do not use incident metering to measure exposure. Some good friends of mine swear by incident metering. So we differ. My friends tell me why they think incident metering is better. I give my counterpoint. There may be, and probably so, gaps in our understanding.At the end, we are more aware of the issues, but may still chose to do the same thing but with better understanding of why we do what we do. But we know how to disagree.

There must be maturity to accept differences in opinion. Differences should be trashed out with logic.

Very often, I see people, when unable to give a coherant answer, resort to childish behaviour and ranting.

If CSers cannot take debates with an adult attitude, then it is better for all to shut up!

Alot of time I dun get a comment. I am not sure is it becos I dun carry much weight here, or my photo sucks.

There are also ppl trying to find small small fault even if the photos look "perfect".

Of cos I expect ppl to give contructive comment if there is anything I can improve on, be it technically or creativity.

But sometime even a simple comment can boost the photographer's confidence, like "good shot!", "great photo" really works. At least it show there are ppl who appreciate your stuff and they bother to type in to encourage you.

So my point is: I dun mind ppl giving simple comment, to me it is an encouragement.

I don't think there is anything wrong with saying good shot or I like the colors or very sharp. I do give these comments sometimes because I know the people who are shooting and I know what they have to go through to get the shot. Does it mean that we have to say good shot but I think this could be better. You are not in the situation as the photographer so may not understand the limitations. This is especially true with nature shots. It's a different ballgame if it is a studio shoot. You are in a controlled environment so things work differently. You can ask the model to retake the shoot. So it all depends on what the shot is about. And you certainly cannot expect a newbie to give constructive criticism as he may not understand the technicalities involved. So his comments would normally be "I like it or nice shot". What is wrong with that?:dunno:

jimtong said:
Alot of time I dun get a comment. I am not sure is it becos I dun carry much weight here, or my photo sucks.

There are also ppl trying to find small small fault even if the photos look "perfect".

Of cos I expect ppl to give contructive comment if there is anything I can improve on, be it technically or creativity.

But sometime even a simple comment can boost the photographer's confidence, like "good shot!", "great photo" really works. At least it show there are ppl who appreciate your stuff and they bother to type in to encourage you.

So my point is: I dun mind ppl giving simple comment, to me it is an encouragement.

I feel the same too.

Honestly if you do feel that it is a good shot, it'll be good to let the poster know what's good abt it. Likewise for a bad shot.

As for technicalities, I think they are important because it should be something that you've learn in the beginning and apply them when shooting. Laziness isn't really an excuse IMHO. :)

Another point in case.

It is difficult to give critique here.

I have been challenged by someone to show that I can do better when I post some critique. The poster of the picture actually wanted me to post pictures before I can even say anything to his pic... I was like... "Huh?!"

Why not you start giving some good critique to start the ball rolling... Afterall the forum is what the member wanted it to be.

very often such critiques turn into discussion that OT and become irrelevant to the photo.

Sometimes a single comment is better than no comment.

Others comment about another's comment rather than the poster photos.

I for one would just give short and simple comment for pics I like. For a good pic, from one look many will able to identify it. :)

Why take it so hard when someone say the photo is no good. There is always something the photographer wants to invoke with his photo and some just do not understand it. IMHO there is no good or bad photo. It is all personal opinion, you like it it is OK, don't like it than not OK. Even if you are a pro does not automatically means your photo is good. Photo is just like art, how many really understand modern art ??.

I've seen Pros shoot like amature and amature shoot like Pro. It's a matter of opinion. The pro will swear that it's his best shot while the amature wil just say "I just shoot lor".

Status
Not open for further replies.