Clubsnap National Day Parade Rehearsal (CR3) Outing 29 Jun 2019

thoongeng

Jan 26, 2010
Starting this thread to share our shots during the outing (outing thread: https://www.clubsnap.com/threads/na...ined-rehearsal-3-outing-29-june-2019.1765046/ )

Thanks to everyone for joining me, hope you had an as enjoyable time as me. I also hope I have answered your questions, feel free to ask here if you have any more, maybe other seniors in the forum can chip in too.

The guide to posting images in Clubsnap is here: https://www.clubsnap.com/threads/guide-to-posting-images.1721401/
I used the method in post #4

Posting my fireworks shot first, it was an edit from a single exposure, I adjusted the image contrast and corrected the fisheye distortion:

full

Thanks for viewing and awaiting to enjoy shots from fellow shooters soon :)
Seniors do feel free to give your critique and comments so everyone can learn!

Thanks for organizing.

I have done little editing on this.

DSC01473.jpg

Thanks dunkdevils, a very nice capture! You got both the low and the high fireworks, and with good exposure for both the fireworks and background to show context.

I've edited your shot a bit to show some of the things which I was sharing for you to consider:

full

I used the Basic and Tone Curve panels in Lightroom to adjust the contrast and recover a bit of the highlights so the fireworks colours are more obvious. Also used the Adjustment brush to selectively darken and adjust contrast in the sky / fireworks so they stand out more and make the smoke a little less obvious.

I then used the Transform tools to correct the verticals. Note that the bottom left corner has a hole after correcting the verticals, that's why if you're planning to do that you have to leave more space at the sides when shooting (though for this year the fireworks are really spread wide so you're already at the widest for your lens). You can see that after correction the top fireworks get stretched, that's normal as the perspective get stretched for stuff at the corners of a very wide angle of view, I sometimes correct it to make it look more normal for the eye however you probably have to use Photoshop as Lightroom is unable to do selective warping for parts of the image.

Hope this helps :)

Just share some other images from the outing:

thoongeng-2
full

thoongeng-3 - didn't know the eagle had a prey till I was reviewing my images
full

thoongeng-4
full

thoongeng-5 - the F15SG did not do a bomb burst on CR3, only a flypast in formation
full

thoongeng-6
full

thoongeng-7
full

thoongeng-8
full

Thanks for viewing, C&C welcome :)

Nicely done, looks like you have layered the fireworks on top of the cityscape during blue hour. The fireworks exposure is also very good.

Just a suggestion, since you are blending in the fireworks, you can add a 'mask' and paint black (to cover up) areas where there's too much smoke, so the smoke does not show up in the final image.

I did some edits for your consideration, brightening up the image overall while recovering the highlights so they are not blown out

full

You may also want to consider if you want to correct the verticals. Hope this helps :)