Clubsnap Exclusive! Fuji S2 Pro Hands On + Sample Pics

Status
Not open for further replies.

ckiang

Jan 17, 2002
Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
www.ckphoto.net
Hi,

Just managed to try the camera today. Response is pretty good, focussing is pretty fast too (with both the new Nikkor AF-S 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5D ED G and Sigma 15-30). Best of all, it can use regular SB-xx series flashes, not just the DX series.

Uses both AA and CR-123 batteries. Interface is rather intuitive, I was able to figure out most of the stuff there. Has a PC connector for external flashes too.

Based on an F80 body, it obviously feels like an F80. Viewfinder is rather small, smaller than a F80's (most likely becoz of the 1.5x magnification factor). Cost is around $3800, just a bit more than the D100. I have not tried the D100 yet, so don't ask me how it compares.

One thing to note: No vertical grip, not even as an option! :(

Full Size Sample images: Both at ISO 1600. Pretty clean.

http://ckng.clubsnap.org/photos/S2Pro/DSCF0009.JPG

http://ckng.clubsnap.org/photos/S2Pro/DSCF0012.JPG

Regards
CK

whats the stock situation?

oh yeah, CR123 optional... if not use, pop-up flash doesn't operate...

haaaaaa !!!!!!!! i need that pc connection if not gotta throw few bucks for adaptor.....more info pls.........

Originally posted by Fundee
haaaaaa !!!!!!!! i need that pc connection if not gotta throw few bucks for adaptor.....more info pls.........

the entire s2 pro manual can be downloaded from the fuji website...

Originally posted by ckiang
yah that's a major bummer for me... i'm so very used to having a vertical shutter release... sigh.

Great Pictures... I especially like the first one.. Many that lady is hot.. Oh wait.. Thats my wife ;-) My wife and me where in the shop at the same time as Ck.. I guess he snapped a few of the other customers. I was going to post a couple of her as well but she snarled at me and said no... Don't worry CK I won't tell her ;-)

As for the D100/S2 comparison...

I tried out the D100 on Tuesday and the S2 on Wednesday. No side by side comparison, but first thoughts would be something like this..

Build Quality: D100 feels more solid. Has a very tight body and in general seems to be a better build. The S2 USB/power cover is a very cheap plastic that I am confident would break off very quickly. The firewire port has a nice rubber cover.

Ergonomics: The S2 feels better in the hand. They have molded in a thumb grip on the back of the camera that helps the camera sit
quite nice in the hand

Easy of Use: I found the S2 a lot easier to adjust and work with. Out of the box a couple button presses and it is ready to shoot. The D100 I had to fiddle with for sometime to figure out how shoot/adjust in manual or Shutter/Apprature priority. This maybe slightly bias in that I used the D100 first, and I am sure some of the learning I did on the D100 made the S2 easier

Picture Quality: Unfortunatly I cannot put a clear answer here. Somone used the S2 before me and changed some of the settings. A custom white balance was selected which has thrown off a lot of the pics colours. I did not notice until I got home. The D100 shots appeared a bit sharper to my eye. The S2 was set to Std sharpening I believe, not sure about the D100.

AF: Both seemed very quick to me. Tested D100 only with the Nikkor AF-S 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5D ED G, and the S2 with the Nikkor AF-S 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5D ED G and the Sigma 15-30. The S2 seemed to hunt a little bit more in that it would extend all the way to infinity and then come back and lock. It did not do this all the time but enough that I noticed. The D100 did not seem to hunt at all. Lock on fast...

Not sure what else to add. I was VERY close to purchasing the S2 last night. I am still second guessing myself and have not come to a decision yet. I think have the optional battery/vertical grip and firewire is something I would miss if I went with the D100. Tought choice!

Sorry for any typo's... No time to edit right now ;-)

Mike!

Hi,

Just managed to try the camera today. Response is pretty good, focussing is pretty fast too (with both the new Nikkor AF-S 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5D ED G and Sigma 15-30). Best of all, it can use regular SB-xx series flashes, not just the DX series.

Uses both AA and CR-123 batteries. Interface is rather intuitive, I was able to figure out most of the stuff there. Has a PC connector for external flashes too.

Based on an F80 body, it obviously feels like an F80. Viewfinder is rather small, smaller than a F80's (most likely becoz of the 1.5x magnification factor). Cost is around $3800, just a bit more than the D100. I have not tried the D100 yet, so don't ask me how it compares.

Full Size Sample images: Both at ISO 1600. Pretty clean.

http://ckng.clubsnap.org/photos/S2Pro/DSCF0009.JPG

http://ckng.clubsnap.org/photos/S2Pro/DSCF0012.JPG

Regards
CK

wahh, you mean theres actual stock of S2? thought all would've been grabbed long ago....

Originally posted by Bedpan
Not sure what else to add. I was VERY close to purchasing the S2 last night. I am still second guessing myself and have not come to a decision yet. I think have the optional battery/vertical grip and firewire is something I would miss if I went with the D100. Tought choice!

Mike!

[/B]

Great Pictures... I especially like the first one.. Many that lady is hot.. Oh wait.. Thats my wife ;-) My wife and me where in the shop at the same time as Ck.. I guess he snapped a few of the other customers. I was going to post a couple of her as well but she snarled at me and said no... Don't worry CK I won't tell her ;-)

As for the D100/S2 comparison...

I tried out the D100 on Tuesday and the S2 on Wednesday. No side by side comparison, but first thoughts would be something like this..

Build Quality: D100 feels more solid. Has a very tight body and in general seems to be a better build. The S2 USB/power cover is a very cheap plastic that I am confident would break off very quickly. The firewire port has a nice rubber cover.

Ergonomics: The S2 feels better in the hand. They have molded in a thumb grip on the back of the camera that helps the camera sit
quite nice in the hand

Easy of Use: I found the S2 a lot easier to adjust and work with. Out of the box a couple button presses and it is ready to shoot. The D100 I had to fiddle with for sometime to figure out how shoot/adjust in manual or Shutter/Apprature priority. This maybe slightly bias in that I used the D100 first, and I am sure some of the learning I did on the D100 made the S2 easier

Picture Quality: Unfortunatly I cannot put a clear answer here. Somone used the S2 before me and changed some of the settings. A custom white balance was selected which has thrown off a lot of the pics colours. I did not notice until I got home. The D100 shots appeared a bit sharper to my eye. The S2 was set to Std sharpening I believe, not sure about the D100.

AF: Both seemed very quick to me. Tested D100 only with the Nikkor AF-S 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5D ED G, and the S2 with the Nikkor AF-S 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5D ED G and the Sigma 15-30. The S2 seemed to hunt a little bit more in that it would extend all the way to infinity and then come back and lock. It did not do this all the time but enough that I noticed. The D100 did not seem to hunt at all. Lock on fast...

Mike!

Wow! I didn't know those 2 foreigners were you and your wife! I got a pic of Sam's girlfriend as well - but he/she will probably kill me if I post.

Somehow some of the pics taken with the 15-30 has the flourescent green cast. Don't know why, the AWB probably got thrown off. :(

Regards
CK

Originally posted by erwinx
wahh, you mean theres actual stock of S2? thought all would've been grabbed long ago....

As of 10pm yesterday, there's still ONE set of Fuji S2 Pro at John 3:16 Photo Supplies. :D Grab it before it's gone.

Regards
CK

If you are serious about buying you maybe able to find one somewhere. They where delivered yesterday afternoon/evening. Not sure if John3:16 has any left.. But you may want to start there.

Mike

I am sure Sam would not mind ;-)

I did not notice a green cast in my pics.. Will have to look again.

As I don't have any glass right now I need to do some research on the best starting point. I was quite happy with the Nikkor 24-85mm but that is with NO basis of comparison. I would have bought the S2 last night if I where more confident with the selection of glass. Now I am second guessing myself on the S2...

Spending this type of money makes me real nervous...

Mike

Wow! I didn't know those 2 foreigners were you and your wife! I got a pic of Sam's girlfriend as well - but he/she will probably kill me if I post.

Somehow some of the pics taken with the 15-30 has the flourescent green cast. Don't know why, the AWB probably got thrown off. :(

Regards
CK

I am sure Sam would not mind ;-)

I did not notice a green cast in my pics.. Will have to look again.

As I don't have any glass right now I need to do some research on the best starting point. I was quite happy with the Nikkor 24-85mm but that is with NO basis of comparison. I would have bought the S2 last night if I where more confident with the selection of glass. Now I am second guessing myself on the S2...

Spending this type of money makes me real nervous...

Mike

Oh well, anyway, the pics exhibit some camera shake, so they are not critically sharp. ;p

I left the same time as the shop closed, and the S2 Pro is still there. So if anyone wants to buy it, go now, before it's too late. :) That 24-85's output looks pretty decent though. And the best thing is that it's cheaper than my 28-105.....

Alternatively, you can always wait for the "next best thing" to appear. ;)

Regards
CK

Am I the only one that find the pics very NOISY?

Bear in mind this is at ISO 1600. It's already not bad, considering that ISO 400 on con/prosumer cameras is much worse than this already.

Regards
CK

I see...I didn't read the post probably. I thought it is at normal ISO.

Hi,

Best of all, it can use regular SB-xx series flashes, not just the DX series.
CK

Any idea why Nikon introduce the D-TTL for their digital cam.
Any advantage over the old one ?
Thanks

Originally posted by hpong

Any idea why Nikon introduce the D-TTL for their digital cam.
Any advantage over the old one ?
Thanks

To make more money? ;p

Well, the reason given was that TTL works by having a sensor reading the reflected light from the flash, through the lens off the film itself. CCDs have a different reflectivity than that of a film surface, so regular would not work. How Fuji manage to do it without resorting to D-TTL remains a mystery to me....

Regards
CK

aiyoh, most flashes would work in ttl mode (auto) with the D100. It it with DX series of speed light that would switch to DTTL lah eg with SB-80DX connected, DTTL will appear along the type of metering at the flash.

advantages? got this off Nikon website

"KEY FEATURES :

New Innovative Design -- Focus-area, selector-style input controller lets you control most functions of SB-80DX

New Incremental Auto-Zoom Head -- Automatic power zoom changes the zoom-head position incrementally to match the lens focal length from 24mm to 105mm

Powerful -- Guide Number of 125 (ISO 100/feet) at 35mm position

New 14mm Wide Flash adapter -- Wide flash adapter for use with lenses as wide as 114 degrees angle of view

New Diffusion Dome accessory -- Included Softlight Dome diffuses the light from the flash to soften shadows

New Built-in Wireless Flash -- Wireless TTL to 23 feet, Auto or Manual to 131 feet.

New Custom Settings -- 8 Built-in Custom Settings lets you customize SB-80DX to your way of shooting

New Standby function -- Adjust settings from 40 seconds to 300 seconds, providing power-saving control during multiple-flash photography

New Safety Lock System -- Locking hot-shoe system assures positive contact between SB-80DX and SLR in use

3D Multi-Sensor Balanced Fill-Flash -- With D1X, D1H, D100, F5, F100, N90s and N80 35mm AF SLR cameras. Matrix Balanced Fill-Flash with N65

New Expanded Flash Compensation -- Additional flash compensation control from +3EV to -3EV in 1/3 EV steps

New Built-in Modeling Flash -- Provides a visual confirmation that lets you preview shadows before photo is taken "

hope this clears things up!

\

To make more money? ;p

Well, the reason given was that TTL works by having a sensor reading the reflected light from the flash, through the lens off the film itself. CCDs have a different reflectivity than that of a film surface, so regular would not work. How Fuji manage to do it without resorting to D-TTL remains a mystery to me....

Regards
CK

aiyoh, where you got that idea from. Non-DX flashes DO NOT work in TTL mode with Nikon D-series cameras.

From the Nikonusa website:

"Flash Control: 1) D-TTL (Automatic Balanced Fill-Flash controlled by five-segment TTL Multi Sensor) with built-in Speedlight and external Speedlight such as SB-80DX/28DX/50DX: three modes available; 2) Non-TTL Auto Flash with an external Speedlight "

Originally posted by jimmyc
aiyoh, most flashes would work in ttl mode (auto) with the D100. It it with DX series of speed light that would switch to DTTL lah eg with SB-80DX connected, DTTL will appear along the type of metering at the flash.

advantages? got this off Nikon website

"KEY FEATURES :

New Innovative Design -- Focus-area, selector-style input controller lets you control most functions of SB-80DX

New Incremental Auto-Zoom Head -- Automatic power zoom changes the zoom-head position incrementally to match the lens focal length from 24mm to 105mm

Powerful -- Guide Number of 125 (ISO 100/feet) at 35mm position

New 14mm Wide Flash adapter -- Wide flash adapter for use with lenses as wide as 114 degrees angle of view

New Diffusion Dome accessory -- Included Softlight Dome diffuses the light from the flash to soften shadows

New Built-in Wireless Flash -- Wireless TTL to 23 feet, Auto or Manual to 131 feet.

New Custom Settings -- 8 Built-in Custom Settings lets you customize SB-80DX to your way of shooting

New Standby function -- Adjust settings from 40 seconds to 300 seconds, providing power-saving control during multiple-flash photography

New Safety Lock System -- Locking hot-shoe system assures positive contact between SB-80DX and SLR in use

3D Multi-Sensor Balanced Fill-Flash -- With D1X, D1H, D100, F5, F100, N90s and N80 35mm AF SLR cameras. Matrix Balanced Fill-Flash with N65

New Expanded Flash Compensation -- Additional flash compensation control from +3EV to -3EV in 1/3 EV steps

New Built-in Modeling Flash -- Provides a visual confirmation that lets you preview shadows before photo is taken "

hope this clears things up!

\

ooooh ..... will test it out! let you guys know later.

...... mumble ....... getting old ....... never see that ...... mumble .....

aiyoh, where you got that idea from. Non-DX flashes DO NOT work in TTL mode with Nikon D-series cameras.

From the Nikonusa website:

"Flash Control: 1) D-TTL (Automatic Balanced Fill-Flash controlled by five-segment TTL Multi Sensor) with built-in Speedlight and external Speedlight such as SB-80DX/28DX/50DX: three modes available; 2) Non-TTL Auto Flash with an external Speedlight "

Status
Not open for further replies.