Clubsnap Culture

Status
Not open for further replies.

fisheye

May 26, 2004
Melbourne, Australia
www.massrapid.org
Hi Guys,

This thread might not go well with some of you, it's going to sound a tad offensive, but before I go on, I'm just going to mention, as a disclaimer, that i'm not here to attack clubsnappers. In fact, i'm hoping to understand the culture of this forum and the people a little more.

I've been in this forum for some time already, and I post pictures occasionally, and sometimes comment on them. Very honestly, I'm a raw photographer - so perhaps some of the technicalities are not very apparent to me. I believe there are some of the same caliber as me, and of course a whole lot of you who are professionals. I notice how there are some clubsnappers trying to develop a photography style, and so they upload a photograph with an intention of receiving critique. In my opinion, I feel we shouldn't just focus on technique and the rules of photography, but also to be able to understand a person' behind the lens. I'm sure we all see things differently, so what I'd love to understand is, does this forum give space for the development of raw photography? To be very honest, I sometimes want to hear more in depth critique of a picture, apart from the deconstruction of the technique.

What do you think?

That being said, I feel really indebted to clubsnap becuase i've learnt alot from this information rich portal. And i'm encouraged by the passion of you photographers and your willingness to share ideas. More than being photographers, i'm sure you guys are also artists and sportsmen :)

keep shooting, peeps!

I totally agree with you... its an artform.. appreciate the message.. techniques are just a guide to helping you make a "better" photo.. Lets not be so "textbook" in appreciating the work done here.

Well keep posting pics for us to see. There are a lot of nice chaps around here who are more than willing to comment and critique. I do get tired of seeing the model shoots every now and then. :S I really dont mind seeing something creative and artistic.

I think when we post images perhaps a better way to let people see what we're trying to achieve is to explain firstly why we took the image, perhaps that would help.

i now post my photos for everyone to enjoy more than 'how to improve' and share what I've taken.. I don't really get much feedback on how to improve much most of the time anyway.

But there are some who would point out how to improve though. Mostly in macros :D

fisheye said:
In my opinion, I feel we shouldn't just focus on technique and the rules of photography, but also to be able to understand a person' behind the lens. I'm sure we all see things differently, so what I'd love to understand is, does this forum give space for the development of raw photography? To be very honest, I sometimes want to hear more in depth critique of a picture, apart from the deconstruction of the technique.

What do you think?

Absolutely agree! But what do you feel is the problem?

I feel the problem is the lack of knowhow to offer critique. Do the people offering critiques have "depth" within them? To one is empty, what can one offer? To offer a meaningful critique, one should be conversant with art in general and photography in particular. Craft and art are irrevocably linked together and cannot be separated. People conversant in such are rare.

Yes, one can always offer an opinion. And these opinions are useful. But "depth" of critique?

In the absence of such knowhow, how could critiques be "indepth". There must be depth in the one offering critique.

It always bugs me when a photo is posted and someone ask for critiques without saying anything about that shot.

Photography is subjective and you should really be more specific.Is it the composition, colors, angles. Most importantly 'what were you trying to capture in the first place!'

Any photographer could post a blurry out of focus photo which is over-exposed and it'll sure be great if it fits the story and theme...

To some people the 'rule of third' is important. To me it doesn't matter much. If the photo shows the image or meaning that you are trying to project then you've made it. We follow too many rules and guidelines. It's time to 'think out of the box'. What is art to you may not be art to someone else. So be it! Just make sure you enjoy yourself doing photography. Self satisfaction is more important. Since you spend so much money on equipment and effort then you should be happy and satisfied and not worry too much on what others think.

Fisheye, Thanks for bringing this up, I think that there could be some constructive advice that comes out of this.

When posting photos for review/critique would it be helpful for the poster to ask for:

1) Looking for a technical feedback (exposure, dof, focus, etc...)

or

2) Looking for artistic feedback (expression, feeling, etc...)

Forgive me if I'm way off base here.

Just my .02 :embrass:

Agree on all of the above. Another thing is to be courteous and graceful. Not just because of someone new and don't know much knowhow, tried but got "slapped" and "slammed" left right center for the posting. This is not fair for the poster.

Be professional. Comment or criticize to the point. Focus on the issue and not the people.

* togu bring in a pail of cold water...

Not to disappoint you, however, such issues have being raised 1001 times, and the conclusion? Most of the members who are asking for critiques, or expecting how critiques should be done blah blah are not posting critiques themselves. Everyone is expecting everyone except himself to put in more effort on the wordings.

It's pretty sad tho.

togu said:

Not to disappoint you, however, such issues have being raised 1001 times, and the conclusion? Most of the members who are asking for critiques, or expecting how critiques should be done blah blah are not posting critiques themselves. Everyone is expecting everyone except himself to put in more effort on the wordings.

It's pretty sad tho.

What you said is true... but I've also observed something else, once we had some good critiques, but it ended up with CS people saying "we are not so arty, we just want to take photos" etc etc... basically, people aren't open to listening.

rueyloon said:
What you said is true... but I've also observed something else, once we had some good critiques, but it ended up with CS people saying "we are not so arty, we just want to take photos" etc etc... basically, people aren't open to listening.

This reminds me of the CLASS 95's tv commerical... the tennis playing boy's daddy... "..he holds the racket no where like agassi.."

togu said:

It's pretty sad tho.

Agreed. Sad but that the truth. :cry:

icarus said:
This reminds me of the CLASS 95's tv commerical... the tennis playing boy's daddy... "..he holds the racket no where like agassi.."

:bsmilie: 'only listen to the 'best' ' ... was it class 95? i tot was another station :think:

fisheye said:
Hi Guys,

This thread might not go well with some of you, it's going to sound a tad offensive, but before I go on, I'm just going to mention, as a disclaimer, that i'm not here to attack clubsnappers. In fact, i'm hoping to understand the culture of this forum and the people a little more.

I've been in this forum for some time already, and I post pictures occasionally, and sometimes comment on them. Very honestly, I'm a raw photographer - so perhaps some of the technicalities are not very apparent to me. I believe there are some of the same caliber as me, and of course a whole lot of you who are professionals. I notice how there are some clubsnappers trying to develop a photography style, and so they upload a photograph with an intention of receiving critique. In my opinion, I feel we shouldn't just focus on technique and the rules of photography, but also to be able to understand a person' behind the lens. I'm sure we all see things differently, so what I'd love to understand is, does this forum give space for the development of raw photography? To be very honest, I sometimes want to hear more in depth critique of a picture, apart from the deconstruction of the technique.

What do you think?

That being said, I feel really indebted to clubsnap becuase i've learnt alot from this information rich portal. And i'm encouraged by the passion of you photographers and your willingness to share ideas. More than being photographers, i'm sure you guys are also artists and sportsmen :)

keep shooting, peeps!

my feeling is that there are probably more technical photographers here than those that shoot from the heart...this is true of any field, there are many more painters than there are artists.......which is probably why u are feeling the way you do

only you yourself will know whether a particular shot of yours works for you (be brutally honest) in the emotive sense..seeking self actualization through the affirmation of your peers is a recipie for mediocrity. i belive CS can continue to mature but evolution is dead without biodiversity. So continue to shoot and continue to post, I'm sure you'll find that CS is a very appreciative audience, if not, let them eat cake! :)

if on the other hand you are looking purely for technical feedback, you will have no shortage of critques here...its up to you how much credence you want to place on them and how important these are to you...

I think it also depends on how people view photography as. Whether one sees photography as a science or an art? Or does one put balance in both? :)

Or does others impose what they think is right onto others to achieve the same status?

I have to agree with FishEye, there is more emphasis here on technicals than artistry.It's often techincals-->intention-->artistry, in terms of critiques i've seen.

Well, each fellow has his/her own intention in photography.Some are out to perfect their shots,some are out to catch the moment and some are out to make a living.Not to compare forums..but I'm mainly on DA because I feel I'm more of a person that shoots from the heart and use my eye more than my knowledge of techniques.I think backwards from the endresult when i shoot.

To each his own I suppose.

My two cents.

Status
Not open for further replies.