Cloudy Sunrise in Bali

bentanbb

Sep 29, 2009
SG
DSC_9415.JPG

Time and Location: 0530 in Bali, Indonesia, Nusa Dua
Objective: Sunrise (Somewhat failed after a heavy rain through the night, hence the low and dense cloud)

1. In what area is critique to be sought?

Composition and Clarity. Did some cropping by removing some parts of the shore, leaving abit at the bottom right corner. Remove some parts of the sky as well to centralise the horizon.
* Was there too little shore shown? Should I retain more shore?
* Was there too much empty space on the left?

2. What one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?

With the sunrise objective changed to just shooting for the calmness in the morning sea and the dense cloud after a pouring rain, covering the morning sun. The fishing boat is there as a subject, otherwise a sea is just a sea, might appear a 'lil too boring.

3. Under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)

Tripod Setup. Shooting from a Waist Height Profile with my D80 on a 1/3 shutter f5 on ISO200.

This was the first morning in Bali, hence the body lethargic fell in after waking up so early. Dropped my phone into the sea right after this shot.

4. What the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture

Fulfilling the disappointment of unable to shoot a full sunrise, but compensated with the nice cool breeze, coupled with the serenity of the calm sea. The reflection of the sky and a little bit of the orange across the horizon. A good start to the day, despite the demise of the phone.

I welcome all comments and critique...

Thank you very much for the time...

Rgds,
Ben

I like the subject and the tones - gives the picture a very calm feeling. IMO I'd crop the the picture slighly and put the boat at the bottom right intersection following the rule of thirds.

I have no comment on the exposure, colour. In fact it is pretty nice.

However, for composition this is what I may do. I will have more of the photo in the white space. Depending on the foreground and things on the right.
DSC_9415.JPG

you've wasted a fantastic chance for a great photo if only you wld have gave more effort on the composition

generally, i like the reflections. more foreground and perhaps a nice border wld do good?

DSC_9414.JPG

This was the image cropped to have the first critique picture. I sincerely appreciate the comments. Looks like I'll have to focus on the first basic rule - Rule of Third.

you've wasted a fantastic chance for a great photo if only you wld have gave more effort on the composition
This is a love and hate feedback. You made me wanting to book an air ticket back to Bali just for another shot at this spot again.

Below is another perspective of this similar picture but in potrait format - not obliged for you to critique, but feedbacks are part and parcel of improving oneself.
DSC_9416.JPG

From all these 3 pictures, I noticed the rule of third is not being followed. The small tiny boat is pushed too far to the side.

Last edited:
Were you able to move right from this frame?

The first thing that struck me was that there's everything in the photo and everything is everywhere and everything's not working well simply because they are everywhere. There's bits and pieces of interests scattered all over and that's what broke this photo.

The thing to keep in mind is to simplify your compositions. Use minimal sibjects to create maximum impact. I thought the boat, with the reflection was a pretty messy subject, interesting but messy. Perhaps you can explore working with only the boat and the horizon to balance up the composition. Things you see will always be there. Your challenge is to "arrange" these subjects into a coherent composition.

The masters here have given you a lot of feedback.

I thought I would add one more... the horizon is tilted to the right. There is no longer any excuse for tilted horizons now that PP has made it so simple to correct.

Were you able to move right from this frame?
Yes I can. But I will see more of the shore and lose the targeted reflection. Hence, between moving right and staying put, I chose the latter. Perhaps, next time I should give myself the option of moving to see how the picture will pan out. Thanks !

The first thing that struck me was that there's everything in the photo and everything is everywhere and everything's not working well simply because they are everywhere. There's bits and pieces of interests scattered all over and that's what broke this photo.

The thing to keep in mind is to simplify your compositions. Use minimal sibjects to create maximum impact. I thought the boat, with the reflection was a pretty messy subject, interesting but messy. Perhaps you can explore working with only the boat and the horizon to balance up the composition. Things you see will always be there. Your challenge is to "arrange" these subjects into a coherent composition.
Thanks. I will keep that in mind. And I'll have to agree - the picture is too messy. Too many underlying dark patches here and there, perhaps this is due to the low tide as well. But point welcomed - Arrangments =)

I thought I would add one more... the horizon is tilted to the right. There is no longer any excuse for tilted horizons now that PP has made it so simple to correct.
I noticed that as well when I posted. Perhaps I should have done abit more of PP before posting this, but my excuses are rendered invalid. Apologies on this part.

Otherwise thanks all for the feedback... Appreciate you spending your time to look at this picture....

I noticed that as well when I posted. Perhaps I should have done abit more of PP before posting this, but my excuses are rendered invalid. Apologies on this part.

No need to apologize to us. It is your picture, you need to apologize to yourself. ;)

It is only by being disatisfied with our own work, will we work hard and improve. Be your own hardest critique.

Yes I can. But I will see more of the shore and lose the targeted reflection. Hence, between moving right and staying put, I chose the latter. Perhaps, next time I should give myself the option of moving to see how the picture will pan out. Thanks !

sometimes getting the shot may require to move just a few steps left or right. What I suggest is that before setting up the tripod, do some test shots and move around to look for a location that will give you the best angle and framing option.

I have no comment on the exposure, colour. In fact it is pretty nice.

However, for composition this is what I may do. I will have more of the photo in the white space. Depending on the foreground and things on the right.
DSC_9415.JPG

I agree with this.
It would have been an awesome photo if the boat was better positioned as a point of interest.

But regardless, I still think the colours are beautiful.