Cloudy days = less sharp?

Status
Not open for further replies.

noobie

Jan 29, 2007
Do you all notice that the pictures taken on cloudy days are always not as sharp as than on sunny days? Can some guru here explain why is this so?

:sweat:

got such thing one arr, nv hear or see before

Do you all notice that the pictures taken on cloudy days are always not as sharp as than on sunny days? Can some guru here explain why is this so?

No what.. Unless you're talking about IR.

One reason could be when its cloudy, your DSLR (especially DSLR) uses a lower shutter speed and camera shake comes into the equation, whereby "blurring" the shot + poor shooting technique. But assuming the photographer knows what shutter speed to shoot at to minimize shake, there shouldn't be less sharp pictures assuming same other settings on the camera.

errrr ...... less light + hand shake = blurer pic ? = reson to get VR/IS hehehe :lovegrin:

Actually I like cloudy days as it will give better and smooth portrait than harsh lightning (no clouds, only sun). The eyes of your object also will nicely relax not become thin line like in harsh lightning.

Regards,
Arto

Think it's due to the lighting condition. But i do agree with bro Arto that cloudy days will give better and smooth portrait.

on a sunny day, you get more directional light and it makes things look more contrasty (misleads you into thinking it looks sharper). on a cloudy day, you get diffused light which results in less contrast (which you may perceive to be an issue of sharpness)

ic, so cloudy days is good for portrait shots. I started this thread is because I find that my landscape shots taken on cloudy days don't look as good as (same location) those taken on sunny days. thank you.

ic, so cloudy days is good for portrait shots. I started this thread is because I find that my landscape shots taken on cloudy days don't look as good as (same location) those taken on sunny days. thank you.

Cloudy is not good for portraist shoot per se. It's up to individuals to make use of the available light. We need know how different light sources illuminate the subject. Sometimes we want direct light, sometimes diffused light, it all depends on what we want to achieve in our photo. We can also modify the light with diffusers or reflectors.

BC

Can it be that during cloudy day, you used a larger aperture as well, so the coc is affected as well?

I think the grainy effects may be a result of dust particles in the air??

Can it be that during cloudy day, you used a larger aperture as well, so the coc is affected as well?

I think the grainy effects may be a result of dust particles in the air??
CoC is not affected by aperture.

Regards,
Arto.

Status
Not open for further replies.