Cloud only, by subscription - Adobe to stop selling boxed copies of Creative Suite

yes. old news.

Apparently it is still installation based but will need intermittent online authentication + subscription for usage

From a business point of view it makes alot of monetary sense. As a casual user I would still prefer to own the software , there will be extended periods where I virtually not touch it. In the long run it doesn't seem to benefit me or any budget conscious user. Surely there are newer updates and functionalities updated on the go, but I am sure an old copy of CS 3 will still have the right tools ( at least for me ) .

Not thrilled but lets hope the cloud system matures with better payment pricing/options

Ryan

This is a fairly interesting turn of events, which can be analysed from a couple of perspectives.

First, as a paying consumer, this presents an intriguing way of valuing our use of Adobe products.

As mentioned, working professionals is likely to be just as well of either way. However, the subscription-based system tacitly forces the professional to:
- Adopt every update (Previously, you may choose to save cost by stay with an older product. I know of pros who still use Adobe Photoshop CS2 and CS3)
- Stick with the software for a year (It is mentioned that users are to make an annual commitment, but billed monthly.)

Tacitly entrenching their products into every user... Pretty neat from Adobe's perspective, really.

As a casual user, the high cost, even for standalone software, may lead to users seeking other solutions for the image editing needs. But of course, this isn't always an easy decision. Adobe Photoshop is very good at what it does, and folks who enhance the capabilities of Photoshop with plug-ins may be similarly entrenched.

So if the user does not renew his subscription after expiry? Does it mean his Adobe software will be crippled and useless?

Extracted from Scott blog.

Q. So what happens if I can’t pay my subscription one month?
A. The same thing that happens if you can’t make your car payment. Two big burly guys come to your house in the middle of the night and take back your copy of Photoshop.

Q. Really?!
A. Well, they don’t come to your house per se (they do it digitally), but why chance it?

Q. I read that the Creative Cloud apps run in a Browser. Is that true?
A. I can’t believe I keep reading this, but no. No, no, no. They don’t run in your browser. All the Adobe desktop apps in the Creative Cloud (like Photoshop, InDesign, Illustrator, etc.) run like they always did — on your desktop. But instead of getting a box shipped to you, you just download the software from “The Cloud.”

Q. I also read you always have to be online because it checks every day to see if your subscription is current. What if I’m not online when they check each day?
A. It’s my understanding that if you’re an annual subscriber, it only checks once-a-month to confirm your registration — not every day, all day, and annual subscribers can actually be off-line for up to 99 days straight and it still keep their subscription active (but I can’t remember ever meeting anyone who was offline for 99 days. I did hear stories of a Grandmother in Wyoming once though). For monthly subscribers, I think you can be offline for around 37 days, but still — I don’t know where this whole “check every day” thing came from either, but my advice would be; when they come to check, quickly turn out the lights and hide behind the couch.

Last edited:
So if the user does not renew his subscription after expiry? Does it mean his Adobe software will be crippled and useless?

Extracted from Scott blog.

Q. So what happens if I can’t pay my subscription one month?
A. The same thing that happens if you can’t make your car payment. Two big burly guys come to your house in the middle of the night and take back your copy of Photoshop.

Q. I also read you always have to be online because it checks every day to see if your subscription is current. What if I’m not online when they check each day?
A. It’s my understanding that if you’re an annual subscriber, it only checks once-a-month to confirm your registration — not every day, all day, and annual subscribers can actually be off-line for up to 99 days straight and it still keep their subscription active (but I can’t remember ever meeting anyone who was offline for 99 days. I did hear stories of a Grandmother in Wyoming once though). For monthly subscribers, I think you can be offline for around 37 days, but still — I don’t know where this whole “check every day” thing came from either, but my advice would be; when they come to check, quickly turn out the lights and hide behind the couch.

YES YES YES YES YES YES.

I think there are several issues at play here.

Adobe believes photoshop is so valuable that no pro can do without it. Subscription-based use is like free-hold property, only difference is that your image is now their property, each time you will be needing that psd file you will have to a paying subscriber! Just think about that - you no longer own the creative bits of your image and adjustment/manipulation bit until you pay your subscription. Especially true if you have gone CC (si si or die die) there is no return. If you have not and using CS3, 4, 5, 6 then hang on until the computers can no longer support it.

Adobe is leaving non-pro user in the dust. If you can't pay US$50 per month for subscription we don't want your business. US$600 per year for 3-4 years equal US$1800-$2400 ~ equal price of a good FX DSLR. Now our cost is doubled (if your upgrade cycle is every 3-4 years). Note: saw this figure in US posting... Seems there is different pricing for SG.

I am already pretty upset that my older Elements and CS versions can't support D800 and forced into getting a newer version. Granted there are new features, but I don't think many of us use the new features... It is like Adobe tax, each time you upgrade, you pay Nikon (or Canon, or ...) then you must stop by the Adobe booth and pay your tax. Shame shame shame.

And by the way, if you decides to take a year off work and track the Silk Route from China to Europe via Central Asia, buy a solar charging back-pack to charge your batteries for your laptop, phones, cameras, you better plan on a monthly stopover in some place where your laptop can hook onto the internet in the middle of Gobi Desert.

I am a professional working to feed my photography hobby, not a photography professional feeding my family using my camera. Seriously, it is time for me to rethink and scout for alternative software.

I was thinking about getting LR; one of my buddies kept touting how good it is. Re-thinking that...

Looks like it is time to review seriously how to use Nikon View NX or whatever they call it. At least it feeds Nikon (or Canon or ... whatever your camera brand is) and do that little bit to keep my camera brand alive!

Last edited:
YES YES YES YES YES YES.

I think there are several issues at play here.

Adobe believes photoshop is so valuable that no pro can do without it. Subscription-based use is like free-hold property, only difference is that your image is now their property, each time you will be needing that psd file you will have to a paying subscriber! Just think about that - you no longer own the creative bits of your image and adjustment/manipulation bit until you pay your subscription. Especially true if you have gone CC (si si or die die) there is no return. If you have not and using CS3, 4, 5, 6 then hang on until the computers can no longer support it.

Adobe is leaving non-pro user in the dust. If you can't pay US$50 per month for subscription we don't want your business. US$600 per year for 3-4 years equal US$1800-$2400 ~ equal price of a good FX DSLR. Now our cost is doubled (if your upgrade cycle is every 3-4 years).

I am already pretty upset that my older Elements and CS versions can't support D800 and forced into getting a newer version. Granted there are new features, but I don't think many of us use the new features... It is like Adobe tax, each time you upgrade, you pay Nikon (or Canon, or ...) then you must stop by the Adobe booth and pay your tax. Shame shame shame.

And by the way, if you decides to take a year off work and track the Silk Route from China to Europe via Central Asia, buy a solar charging back-pack to charge your batteries for your laptop, phones, cameras, you better plan on a monthly stopover in some place where your laptop can hook onto the internet in the middle of Gobi Desert.

I am a professional working to feed my photography hobby, not a photography professional feeding my family using my camera. Seriously, it is time for me to rethink and scout for alternative software.

I was thinking about getting LR; one of my buddies kept touting how good it is. Re-thinking that...

Looks like it is time to review seriously how to use Nikon View NX or whatever they call it. At least it feeds Nikon (or Canon or ... whatever your camera brand is) and do that little bit to keep my camera brand alive!
to be fair, Photoshop users don't own their copy of photoshop software even they buy the box set.

photoshop users just purchase a licence allow them to use the version that they paid for, use until they decide not to use it any more.

and AFAIK, no one add new features to old version of software, Nikon don't that also, Canon don't that also also, not just Adobe.

If you have the Photoshop 5 or 6, it is enough, even in the next 5-10 years if all you do is fixing quick things. Most of new features in newer Photoshop are not useful to me as a photographer who do portraiture. For advertising field, the new tool might help them, but if it helps them saving the time, well, it is cheap to have it. Paying monthly gives business operator some sort of leverage especially for the start up so they don't have to invest the money in lump sum. On the flip side, they are force to pay every month. With the current one, you can just buy and use it till you think your computer don't support it anymore.

RAW converter, you can certainly use Capture 1 Pro or similar software.

Also, this prevent you to buy new camera all the time... better for the pocket isn't it?

Regards,

Hart

Good for adobe also as this way they can standardize global prices. This also means this will be the last version of cs to have standalone educational price.

Hopefully this should open up a new demand for alternative software....

Good for adobe also as this way they can standardize global prices. This also means this will be the last version of cs to have standalone educational price.

Meaning there won't be a 'student' price anymore?

From my favorite photography related comic strip

WTD1382.gif

Subscription-based use is like free-hold property,

I would have thought that when u buy a set of CS6 ,that is your freehold property. You own it, and you can resell it ( with appropriate license transfer )
Subscription is like a rental plan. You can pay 3 monthly, but when you stop you have nothing to hold on to.
Surely that could not be much of a difference anyway for many.

Probably a paradigm shift in business model that existing customers need to used to.
But in the meantime if I have been using say 5 basic functions of Adobe CS that has seen little iterations over the various versions, I would not be enticed to hop
onto the subscription..

Ryan

I would have thought that when u buy a set of CS6 ,that is your freehold property. You own it, and you can resell it ( with appropriate license transfer )
Subscription is like a rental plan. You can pay 3 monthly, but when you stop you have nothing to hold on to.
Surely that could not be much of a difference anyway for many.

Probably a paradigm shift in business model that existing customers need to used to.
But in the meantime if I have been using say 5 basic functions of Adobe CS that has seen little iterations over the various versions, I would not be enticed to hop
onto the subscription..

Ryan

What I meant, really, is that you use the Adobe software to do some adjustment in some photograph and saved the entire process in a psd file. Then the cartoon bit above comes into play, if you don't pay subscription, then you cannot access your psd files anymore. You must continue to subscribe if you want to reuse a psd file.

to be fair, Photoshop users don't own their copy of photoshop software even they buy the box set.

photoshop users just purchase a licence allow them to use the version that they paid for, use until they decide not to use it any more.

and AFAIK, no one add new features to old version of software, Nikon don't that also, Canon don't that also also, not just Adobe.

If you buy the box software, you can use the software anytime thereafter so long as there is a hardware that will support it. But if you subscribe and terminate the subscription, then you lose the use of any psd file forever.

And to be fair, each time you buy a new camera you willingly pay for a new version of Photoshop, even if you don't need the new features? Just looking for support for new camera, not new feature. And by buying box software one can skip generation, not constant upgrade.

But my biggest grouse is still I will lose my psd the moment I stop paying. Or when I am hiking in some remote place and the computer cannot access the internet...