Close up sharp, but Scenery not sharp

Status
Not open for further replies.

thomaschan

Dec 30, 2002
Visit site
Hi guys.

how come whenever i take close up shots of objects, or peopple with flash, the image is always crisp and sharp and clear..

Even i take a LARGE mode (i use canon g3)
its always SHARP and CLEAR..

but whenever i take of scenery, it always looks a bit blurry and not as sharp and clear..

BTW image taken at day time in full sunlight,:

i made sure to use:

1. TRIPOD
2. F8 aperture..
3. ISO 50-400 all tried liao
4. shutter speed i allow the camera to decide

still not as sharp..

is it because i am doing i wrongly?

or because it is not possible for the hardware to capture long distance shots as sharp as close up?

Thanks~!!

Don't know about the G3 lens.

You shoot RAW or Compressed?

if Compressed what is the setting set at?

It would be easier for us to spot your mistake if you could post the pics.

One possibility is that there isn't any clear contrasting lines in the the focusing area of the frame.

Is this what you wanted?

sharpened.jpg

Original:
original.jpg

Originally posted by roon2c
ERr...... USM ar?

Yup. 'coz he said he wanted his photo to look sharp; was gonna advise him to set his in-camera sharpening to one step higher or use USM.

Originally posted by thomaschan
hmm thanks.. but what is usm?

UnSharp Mask. It's a tool for sharpening soft images in Photoshop.

Btw, if you prefer sharper images, you can actually set your in camera sharpening to a step higher.

Originally posted by kindred

hi...thomas... do u mind to post a sample image up here ? so that we might try to solve ya problem...:D i will post a sample image too...:)

He has posted a link liao... you missed it? ;p

Originally posted by imaginary_number

He has posted a link liao... you missed it? ;p

yeah... too tired maybe...jus got back from sheares bridge:D anyway i deleted my post liao

hmm... how come its un sharp for Scenic shots, but for portrait its sharp ha?

NOT SHARP PHOTO:
http://www.pbase.com/image/11637670/original

as you can see, at the top of the trees, they are just a blur..

compare this with:
http://www.pbase.com/image/11638097/original

this close up shot is sharp and clear!
(it is not me in the photo =) )

why is the camera not able to achieve the sharpness of the portrait shot, with the top of the trees in the scenic shot?

If u ask me, it is very bad quality at the top of the scenic shot.. i cannot even see the trees branches properly..

Im still a newbie.. i hope someone could teach me whats wrong..

Thanks!!!

Originally posted by imaginary_number

UnSharp Mask. It's a tool for sharpening soft images in Photoshop.

Btw, if you prefer sharper images, you can actually set your in camera sharpening to a step higher.

is there a 'in camera sharpening' function?:dunno:

NOT SHARP PHOTO:
http://www.pbase.com/image/11637670/original

as you can see, at the top of the trees, they are just a blur..

compare this with:
http://www.pbase.com/image/11638097/original

this close up shot is sharp and clear!
(it is not me in the photo =) )

why is the camera not able to achieve the sharpness of the portrait shot, with the top of the trees in the scenic shot?

If u ask me, it is very bad quality at the top of the scenic shot.. i cannot even see the trees branches properly..

Im still a newbie.. i hope someone could teach me whats wrong..

Thanks!!!

The close-up shot is sharp simply because you used flash. Assume you were on auto or aperture-priority mode, the cam would meter a relatively slow shutter speed of say, maybe 1/25s, since it seemed quite dark in the coffeeshop. If you did not use flash, the picture would more than likely be blurred due to handshake. But the flash appears for a very short duration of time, maybe 1/640s. So this short moment of flashlight help to 'freeze' the moment, and the CCD captures mainly this.

As for the scenery shot, I think it could be cos you didnt use a small enough aperture to obtain maximum depth of field. Looking at your shot at original size, it seems that the whole picture is in less than perfect focus, but just that because its darker at the top where the branches are, it seems worse there.

Hi guys.

how come whenever i take close up shots of objects, or peopple with flash, the image is always crisp and sharp and clear..

Even i take a LARGE mode (i use canon g3)
its always SHARP and CLEAR..

but whenever i take of scenery, it always looks a bit blurry and not as sharp and clear..

BTW image taken at day time in full sunlight,:

i made sure to use:

1. TRIPOD
2. F8 aperture..
3. ISO 50-400 all tried liao
4. shutter speed i allow the camera to decide

still not as sharp..

is it because i am doing i wrongly?

or because it is not possible for the hardware to capture long distance shots as sharp as close up?

Thanks~!!

Try to focus lock three quarter into the scene, re compose and take the shot. Reason : cos of hyper focal distance or something like this n hope this help.

Status
Not open for further replies.