Close up photos of fishing lures

drunkenchivas

Nov 9, 2010
Would like to check if anyone has any experience in photographing fishing lures?

Need to bring out the best out of the lures.

Please advise if I should use yellow lighting and black background to bring out the details?

drunkenchivas

Before I'm into photography, I actually love fishing and still keep the fishing lures. Saw this thread so thought why not dig out my fishing lures and do some product shoots. Nothing fancy on the set up just use external flash on camera and tilt head to bounce off from ceiling. Using Pentax K5 + DA*55mm + AF 540 Flash and room using daylight lamp. I feel black as background might not be that suitable on some shiny lures as it might leave a little black shadow at the edge. Hope this helps.

IMGP8630_zpscde64353.jpg

IMGP8642_zps4aa589b5.jpg

IMGP8664_zpsb14c0ca8.jpg

IMGP8660_zps63404e6d.jpg

nice work, Desmond. so we can add fishing to bicycle with our comm here? ;)

p/s: where is TS?

I am here!!!
What's up!!!

Before I'm into photography, I actually love fishing and still keep the fishing lures. Saw this thread so thought why not dig out my fishing lures and do some product shoots. Nothing fancy on the set up just use external flash on camera and tilt head to bounce off from ceiling. Using Pentax K5 + DA*55mm + AF 540 Flash and room using daylight lamp. I feel black as background might not be that suitable on some shiny lures as it might leave a little black shadow at the edge. Hope this helps.

IMGP8660_zps63404e6d.jpg

I got one of these as well.
Your post made me dig it up from my store room. :)

Maybe take a product shot of it too when I have some time in the next few days.

I like your nice clean presentation.
Simple lighting setup too.
Also very nice bkgnds.

I am here!!!
What's up!!!

Well.........?
Say something, Man! :D

Since your query has been answered, please pay the consultation fee by posting your photo of your fishing lure here :D

Last edited:
I got one of these as well.
Your post made me dig it up from my store room. :)

Maybe take a product shot of it too when I have some time in the next few days.

I like your nice clean presentation.
Simple lighting setup too.
Also very nice bkgnds.

Thanks JK, I kept everything simple, even those materials for backgrounds are just papers, mouse pad and PVC file on my table. I thought of using old branches, unpolished wood, pebbles as well but don't have time to go find them and set up.:)

Hmm... How about a fishing outing and shoot what we catch? LOL!

Guys, my lures are otw from overseas. Would be taking photos once they arrive. I don't mind a fishing trip but which you guys prefer lure or baiting?

From now to nov probably going to prepare for my exams. But may find time to fish hopefully. Anyway didnt know quite a few guys fish here. Wonderful, might need some help in taking photos of lure.

Having said all these am still waiting for my bonus before going for K30. Currently using a Fuji Exr200. Pretty old but good digicam.

Thanks all and please post more lure pictures!!!

My lures are in!!! How do I upload pictures? Use Flickr?

Thanks!!!

Had a hard time taking photos and uploading...
Newbie me.
Any advice on how to improve?
Anyone?

wow nice, quite cool! i didnt know fishing lures have so many different designs and they look nice!

Thanks!!!

Had a hard time taking photos and uploading...
Newbie me.
Any advice on how to improve?
Anyone?

My few cents,
1. Bkgnd -keep it simple, or make it complementary
2. Subject -be a bit more clear on what, which is the subject.
3. Use DOF to help on #2. Eg. Less dof to concentrate on one lured; more DOF to get all lures sharp.
4. Use/look for lighting that helps give your lures the look you need. (Eg. Side light for more dimension)
5. Copy fishing mags.

Can always get some lures from me. Use as your subjects...

Don worry they are not pricey...