Close up filters

Status
Not open for further replies.

currahee

Jun 6, 2002
Bishan
Visit site
How does the above works? Is it useful? What are the pros n cons?

Originally posted by currahee
How does the above works? Is it useful? What are the pros n cons?

The filter is mounted infront of your cam lens to provide additional magnification. They come in an assortment of +1, +2, +3, +4, +10.

so wat magnification is recommended? is there any techniques to be used when using such filters to take close-up shots?

if it's a +4 magnification, so how close can i take a picture if i'm using a 28mm lens, and how closeup is the picture?

if it's a +4 magnification, so how close can i take a picture if i'm using a 28mm lens, and how closeup is the picture?

How close depends on how much zoom you have. If you're using a 28mm lens, the magnification will not be too significant. The magnification goes higher with increase in zoom.

found some info here: http://www.angelfire.com/ca/erker/closeups.html

Lens FL refers to the focal length of the camera lens that the close up lens is designed for. Use with a different lens FL may cause sharpness to suffer.
Diopters are the optical strength of the CU lens. Its focal length can be calculated by using FL = 1000/Diopters. This is also the distance that will now be in focus when the lens is focused at infinity. (A +2 diopter will bring a subject at 1/2 metre {500mm} away into focus.)

To estimate minimum focus distance convert the camera lens minimum distance to diopters and add it to the CU lens strength. So a +2 CU lens used with a lens that focuses to 1 metre will act (approximately) like a +3 CU lens and bring a subject at 1/3 metre into focus.

Another approach is to calculate magnification. Convert the diopter strength to millimeters focal length (CU FL = 1000/Diopters). Then divide the camera lens FL by the CU lens FL to get the magnification when the lens is focused at infinity. Thus a +2 CU is 500mm FL. If you use it on a 50mm lens you will get 1:10 life size. The same +2 on a 300mm lens will give you 0.6 of lifesize (1:1.66).

thanx for all the info...
so closeup lens actually helps to reduce the focussing distance so that u can take closer shots rite?

thanx for all the info...
so closeup lens actually helps to reduce the focussing distance so that u can take closer shots rite?

yup!

Status
Not open for further replies.