Close-up filters

Status
Not open for further replies.

allsmilez

Jul 11, 2006
Bukit Timah
Hi,

hope this is not too silly a question. I have a tamron 17-50 2.8; was thinking of getting a hoya +4 close up. However, my closest focusing distance is already...0.27m if i'm not wrong. So with a +4 my focusing distance will become 0.25m. Am I right to say that essentially there is no point getting a close up filter +4 or less? Because the magnification ultimately is due to the lens zoom and the filter only allows me to focus closer?

thanks!

Are you thinking of doing macros? Get a macro lens lar ... the more glasses, the lower the quality ...

I ever done macro w reverse lens, close up filters (+4, +4, +4 stacked up), tele-convertor, macro lens. Still think tt Macro lens gives the best results.

Hi,

hope this is not too silly a question. I have a tamron 17-50 2.8; was thinking of getting a hoya +4 close up. However, my closest focusing distance is already...0.27m if i'm not wrong. So with a +4 my focusing distance will become 0.25m. Am I right to say that essentially there is no point getting a close up filter +4 or less? Because the magnification ultimately is due to the lens zoom and the filter only allows me to focus closer?

thanks!
25cm is maximum working distance when the lens is set to infinity. It will go nearer if you set the lens' distance to nearer distance.

Go with macro lens if you think you are interesting in macro photography. Its a good investment for you.

Find out which focal length of macro lens suit you better. If you like to take insect macro, go for 105mm macro. If you like still life macro, 60mm may suit you. Errr..., I am talking about Nikon Macro/micro lenses.

Regards,
Arto.

25cm is maximum working distance when the lens is set to infinity. It will go nearer if you set the lens' distance to nearer distance.

Go with macro lens if you think you are interesting in macro photography. Its a good investment for you.

Find out which focal length of macro lens suit you better. If you like to take insect macro, go for 105mm macro. If you like still life macro, 60mm may suit you. Errr..., I am talking about Nikon Macro/micro lenses.

Regards,
Arto.

Thanks bros for all the advice! So just to confirm, i think i understood the reverse way. The 25cm is the "furthest away" i can possibly focus. But i can still focus at a distance of less than that e.g. 10cm?

Would love to get a dedicated macro. But still not so sure I want to get seriously into macro yet. So if can play around with some filters that are easy on the pocket $$$ then can decide ;p

Thanks again!

Thanks bros for all the advice! So just to confirm, i think i understood the reverse way. The 25cm is the "furthest away" i can possibly focus. But i can still focus at a distance of less than that e.g. 10cm?

Would love to get a dedicated macro. But still not so sure I want to get seriously into macro yet. So if can play around with some filters that are easy on the pocket $$$ then can decide ;p

Thanks again!
Yes, it is possible. It is depend on your closest distance of your lens too.

If my memory about optic serve me well, the combined distance will be like:
For example Close up +4 = 25cm. Min closest distance of lens is 50cm.
D = 1 / (1/d1 + 1/d2).
D = 1 / (1/25cm + 1/50cm) = 1 / (2/50cm+1/50cm) = 1 / (3/50cm).
==> D = 50/3cm = 16.667cm.

So, the distance will be vary from 25cm (when lens' distance at infinity) to 16.667cm (when lens' distance at closest distance).

Regards,
Arto.

Yes, it is possible. It is depend on your closest distance of your lens too.

If my memory about optic serve me well, the combined distance will be like:
For example Close up +4 = 25cm. Min closest distance of lens is 50cm.
D = 1 / (1/d1 + 1/d2).
D = 1 / (1/25cm + 1/50cm) = 1 / (2/50cm+1/50cm) = 1 / (3/50cm).
==> D = 50/3cm = 16.667cm.

So, the distance will be vary from 25cm (when lens' distance at infinity) to 16.667cm (when lens' distance at closest distance).

Regards,
Arto.

Ok i roughly understand, will go look up my physics books ;p gonna head down soon to MS to get a filter to try. Thanks a lot Arto and the other bro's for your advice!

Hi,

thanks!

If u really want to use close up filters, i recommend using it on a prime lens rather than a zoom one.

If u really want to use close up filters, i recommend using it on a prime lens rather than a zoom one.

I decided to try it on my trusty 50mm 1.8 first. ;) 52mm thread cheaper also. Thanks for the advice!

I decided to try it on my trusty 50mm 1.8 first. ;) 52mm thread cheaper also. Thanks for the advice!

I'm doing the exact same thing on my 50mm with two +4 close up filters. Closeness is approx 1:2 or a little more but pics become slightly soft.

Status
Not open for further replies.