Close-up filters

Status
Not open for further replies.

makan007

Feb 17, 2002
Singapore
ef_70-200_28issample.jpg

Close-up filter is only use for shooting tiny objects? Do you use it when taking portrait above?

NOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BTW, even for macro shooting, I prefer to use extension tube to close-up filters. And since you did mention quality in another '3rd party lens' thread. I've to tell u that close-up filters degrade quality.

But before someone complaints, this degration may not be noticable on pictures. ;)

Originally posted by Shadus
NOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BTW, even for macro shooting, I prefer to use extension tube to close-up filters. And since you did mention quality in another '3rd party lens' thread. I've to tell u that close-up filters degrade quality.

But before someone complaints, this degration may not be noticable on pictures. ;)
I understand now.

Hey guys! Do u set ur camera to close-up mode when taking close-up shots of flowers, insects, etc. :bwhat: Why close-up filter degrade performance? Then use wat filter for ur macro lens? ISO 100 should be enough for taking close-up shots during the day? Eg, morning. :eek:

Originally posted by makan007
Hey guys! Do u set ur camera to close-up mode when taking close-up shots of flowers, insects, etc
usually I do not use closeup/macro mode

what: Why close-up filter degrade performance? Then use wat filter for ur macro lens?
becoz' additional element always degrade the quality ... best is to get a macro lens and do not use any filter ..

ISO 100 should be enough for taking close-up shots during the day? Eg, morning. :eek:
depend on what are you taking .. if lighting is good , ISO 50 is enough ...

potraiture of human and closeup filter....NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
potraiture of insect and closeup filter......OOOOOOKKKKKKKKKKKK
potraiture of insect and macro lense........BBBEEEETTTTTEEERRRR

Originally posted by Fundee
potraiture of human and closeup filter....NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
potraiture of insect and closeup filter......OOOOOOKKKKKKKKKKKK
potraiture of insect and macro lense........BBBEEEETTTTTEEERRRR
Thanks for the tips.

Originally posted by megaweb

becoz' additional element always degrade the quality ... best is to get a macro lens and do not use any filter ..
You use AV mode? Ya, Fundee mention that too. You are using digital cam? Dun see any ISO50 for print film?

You use AV mode? Ya, Fundee mention that too. You are using digital cam? Dun see any ISO50 for print film?

I use both DC and SLR ... I just posted some of my slides shots and you can see them here . See the pictures taken using Fujifilm Velvia ... ISO50. The quality may not up to your expectation due to "scanned" by using DC + Closeup lens. :)

Ermm...sorry Megaweb I dun get it here.

How come closeup/macro mode is not used? I thought then we will be unable to focus well on the flower? (My C2040Z Macro range: 20cm).

Please enlighten.

Thanks!

Originally posted by Blitz

How come closeup/macro mode is not used? I thought then we will be unable to focus well on the flower? (My C2040Z Macro range: 20cm).

oh sorry ... :D My DC does not have macro mode .. Yes, you need to activate the Macro mode in order to take macro shot ..

for your case , try to use a tripod ...

oh sorry ... :D My DC does not have macro mode .. Yes, you need to activate the Macro mode in order to take macro shot ..

For SLR, which mode u use?

For SLR, which mode u use?

usually Av mode ... for insect shots , usually I will use f5.6 to f8.0 with fill flash ...

usually Av mode ... for insect shots , usually I will use f5.6 to f8.0 with fill flash ...
Using a smaller aperature??? Pls enlighten?

oh ya .. forget to mention .. I am using a macro lens (EF 100mm f2.8 macro) .. with smaller a aperture size , the object will get more focus ...

I see hee ok thanks :)

Hey megaweb, tot you have a discussion thread on some closeup tips and setup? can show me the URL? Cannot find leh...:dunno:

Thanks

really envy u guys.....got such high end camera......me newbie wanna learn more from u guy discussion also........:cool:

Originally posted by Blitz
Ermm...sorry Megaweb I dun get it here.

Please enlighten.

Thanks!

The close-up filter is used to lower your minimal focal distance.

For most consumer digicams, the macro mode lowers the effective focal length of the camera.(i.e less zoom) such that using macro mode will result in a smaller subject compared to full tele + close-up/macro lens.

At large magnifications, there is very little depth of field. For example, a dragonfly's head may be sharp but not its tail, if you don't place yourself parallel to the dragonfly.

If you have a flash you can use even smaller apertures.

BTW Velvia is slide film

Status
Not open for further replies.