Close-up Filters/Lenses or Diopters

tehcbing

Jun 23, 2011
Bukit Panjang
Hi all, needed help on these. What are the no.1,2,3 or 4 meant for close-up lenses?? Thinking of getting one but dunno what should i look for.
So needed some enlightenment from fellow CSers.

But a proper 1:1 macro lens is a better choice than those close-up glass.

This is great help.. Thanx Stanycjw, Sinned and SkyStrike!! Appreciate it
:thumbsup::thumbsup:

I had the Tammy 90mm.. But was kinda curious what result would those close-ups lenses produce..

(IIRC) If you use the close up filters on a real macro lens, you will get a bigger magnification (2:1 or possibly more). But most of the time, people are quite satisfied with what 1:1 gives them.

*btw, I've yet to really dump $ into a macro lens yet....all these are just based on readings*

(IIRC) If you use the close up filters on a real macro lens, you will get a bigger magnification (2:1 or possibly more). But most of the time, people are quite satisfied with what 1:1 gives them.

*btw, I've yet to really dump $ into a macro lens yet....all these are just based on readings*

No worries SkyStrike.. The more we talk and discuss, the more we gain..
The Tammy 90mm is a good and sharp lens. The only blip is that its AF a bit slow and the motor quite noisy.

No worries SkyStrike.. The more we talk and discuss, the more we gain..
The Tammy 90mm is a good and sharp lens. The only blip is that its AF a bit slow and the motor quite noisy.

I scared the temptation to get a macro lens is just BBB..Thou I have a tendency to shoot flora. For now, Raynox 250 on my 18-55 matches quite well for flora close up (still can AF quite well). but Raynox 250 on 55-250 is much much tougher with that kind of magnification (also have to MF all the time, AF can't get a lock on).

Hi all, needed help on these. What are the no.1,2,3 or 4 meant for close-up lenses?? Thinking of getting one but dunno what should i look for.
So needed some enlightenment from fellow CSers.

Those numbers are the diopter strength of the closeup filters/lens, and affects both the magnification and working distance.

Working distance = 1000mm / diopter strength, (measured from the "optical center" of your lens)

So a weaker closeup filter (those with lower diopter number, e.g. +2 or +3) will give you more working distance.

E.g. with the Raynox 250 (+8 diopter), the working distance = 1000 / 8 = 125mm, whereas with the Raynox 150 (4.8 diopter) the working distance becomes longer at 1000 / 4.8 = 208.3mm.

The focal length of your lens and the diopter strength of the close-up lens affects the magnification you get. To calculate magnification from diopter strength,

Magnification = (diopter strength x lens focal length) / 1000

So, for example you put the Raynox 250 on the 50mm lens,

Magnification = (8 x 50) / 1000 = 0.4x, or 1:2.5 life-size ratio (smaller then life size).

If you now use the Raynox 250 on the 200mm lens,

Magnification = (8 x 200) / 1000 = 1.6x, or 1:0.625 life-size ratio (larger then life size).

Here is a thread I did some time ago on this :
http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/threads/837953-Various-macro-setups-and-performance

personally, I like extension tubes more than close up filters

Hoya closeup filters are cmi. There are better ones e.g. the Canon 250D/500D.

Btw, can I seek your permission to store your above article in the article section? I will leave a permanent link in the Pentax subforum.

Hoya closeup filters are cmi. There are better ones e.g. the Canon 250D/500D.

Btw, can I seek your permission to store your above article in the article section? I will leave a permanent link in the Pentax subforum.

Sure thing. I'd be glad if its helpful to those looking at the same question again. Thanks :)

Yeah, the Hoya close-up filter CMI, Raynox is much better. Heard good things about the Canon ones as well.

Those numbers are the diopter strength of the closeup filters/lens, and affects both the magnification and working distance.

Working distance = 1000mm / diopter strength, (measured from the "optical center" of your lens)

So a weaker closeup filter (those with lower diopter number, e.g. +2 or +3) will give you more working distance.

E.g. with the Raynox 250 (+8 diopter), the working distance = 1000 / 8 = 125mm, whereas with the Raynox 150 (4.8 diopter) the working distance becomes longer at 1000 / 4.8 = 208.3mm.

The focal length of your lens and the diopter strength of the close-up lens affects the magnification you get. To calculate magnification from diopter strength,

Magnification = (diopter strength x lens focal length) / 1000

So, for example you put the Raynox 250 on the 50mm lens,

Magnification = (8 x 50) / 1000 = 0.4x, or 1:2.5 life-size ratio (smaller then life size).

If you now use the Raynox 250 on the 200mm lens,

Magnification = (8 x 200) / 1000 = 1.6x, or 1:0.625 life-size ratio (larger then life size).

Thanx for all the definitions and calculations (though it kinda gives me headache as i hated maths. haha.. jus kidding)
Nonetheless, Im more enlightened and know what to get for myself..
Thanx Ziploc!!!
:thumbsup::thumbsup: