Close up filter

Status
Not open for further replies.

undergrd

Jun 16, 2007
North-East
Hi Ppl, Heard that there is sthing known as the close up filter for doing macro photography, how much is this selling in the market and how is the feedback? :)

Hi Ppl, Heard that there is sthing known as the close up filter for doing macro photography, how much is this selling in the market and how is the feedback? :)

There are a few types. Simple ones like for Nikon Close-up filter are single element filters and 3T to 6T are two element lenses.

No 0, 1 and 2 are reccomended for lenses with a focal lenght to 55mm focal length lenses. (52mm thread)
3T and 4T works best with lenses from 85mm to 200mm (52mm thread)
5T and 6T works best with lenses from 70mm to 210mm (62mm thread)

Then there are more complex ones like the Raynox-250. That will give you a much higher magnification. It comes with a universal mount which allows a choice from 52mm to 67mm.

As for pricing, do a search for a more updated price. I do not have it.

Sadly Nikon had stop production on their close-up filter.

Basic single element you can go for Hoya. Cannon & B+W still have double element close-up filter but it is not cheap. The later one you must order from oversea.

For Raynox-250, you can check the pricing at Mass Order Section.

thanks guys for the info...im using a tamron 90mm, wondering is there any close up filter for this ?

thanks guys for the info...im using a tamron 90mm, wondering is there any close up filter for this ?

Yes, just get one with 55mm thread size that fit to your Tamron 90mm. As mention by others, Raynox-250 come with a adapter that can use from thread size 52mm to 67mm.

closeup filters are just exactly what they are called. they allow your non-macro lens and even macro lens to have a closer than the minimum focusing distance capability.

extension tubes on the other hand increases the distance of your camera focal point with the lens element thereby reducing the minimum focusing distance allowing you to get closer to your subject.

though both does the same job, the end result is different.

for the purist, closeup filters add an additional optical element to your setup while tubes don't.

try out both and see which you prefer. hope this helps.

hi guys, if i want to get a close up filter, any recommendations on the brand of the filter? something good and acceptable pricing...

hi guys, if i want to get a close up filter, any recommendations on the brand of the filter? something good and acceptable pricing...

You might want to try Hoya, they have different strength, +1, +2, +4 and i think up to +10.
At least it is not that expensive, canon close-up filter cost around S$150-S$200+. Of course the quality is different.

ok..thanks. will go and take a look at hoya....

sorry, not answering your question instead ask you one :)
how much (more) magnification do you get by using marco lens + close-up filter?
any compromise in quality? how bad if any? hope you can share your macro shot with and without the filter.

sorry, not answering your question instead ask you one :)
how much (more) magnification do you get by using marco lens + close-up filter?
any compromise in quality? how bad if any? hope you can share your macro shot with and without the filter.

The amount depends on the diopter of the close-up filter.

Yes, I know that, you have any max magnification number? and I believe the working distance must be decreased drastically after puting on the filter.

Yes, I know that, you have any max magnification number? and I believe the working distance must be decreased drastically after puting on the filter.

Sorry no idea on that, it also depends on the focal lenght of the lens used. Yes, working distance is reduced. ;)

i just got my +4 macro today.. is manual focusing a must? not complaining.. just wondering because my camera's af seems to have problem doing its job.. even after i switched to macro mode..

manual focusing not mandatory. you can set it to the nearest focusing distance and move your camera back and forth to determine how close you can get with the +4 attached.

lighting conditions and subject contrast do play a part in focusing speed.

have fun.

i just got my +4 macro today.. is manual focusing a must? not complaining.. just wondering because my camera's af seems to have problem doing its job.. even after i switched to macro mode..

very simple to test the effects:

1. at 28mm (your FZ18), put to macro and shoot an object at its minimum focusing distance (which is 1cm). Next you attach the filter and see if can focus at 1 cm. If can, congrats! If cannot, move camera back and auto focus to sharp image and shoot. Later u preview the image to see the size.

2. zoom to max, set to macro and focus on an object and shoot. Best is to use tripod. Next, attach the filter, focus and shoot. At this point, don change zoom or any settings. If can focus, congrats. If not zoom back until can auto focus then shoot. Preview and compare the size.

Hi everyone, this is a nice thread. I am new to photography and I really like to do macro. I have a Sigma 18-200 mm OS HSM lens. Is there a close up filter that I can use for this lens? When it is mentioned as thread, does it mean the diameter size of the lens (the end part where we put the filter)?

Appreciate any inputs from you guys. Cheers!

Hi everyone, this is a nice thread. I am new to photography and I really like to do macro. I have a Sigma 18-200 mm OS HSM lens. Is there a close up filter that I can use for this lens? When it is mentioned as thread, does it mean the diameter size of the lens (the end part where we put the filter)?

Appreciate any inputs from you guys. Cheers!

Yes, the thread size of your 18-200mm should be 72mm.

Please read the Close-ups and Macros FAQ for close-up filter info

So far there is no simple formula to calculate magnification. You can try my simple method :
take a shot of the ruler. If full frame shot occupies the length of 3.6cm or 36mm, that is 1:1 for 35mm format.

What is your budget ?
Basic close-up filter will give more distortion at corners. Better one are costly but give lesser distortion, thus better quality.

Please read the Close-ups and Macros FAQ for close-up filter info

So far there is no simple formula to calculate magnification. You can try my simple method :
take a shot of the ruler. If full frame shot occupies the length of 3.6cm or 36mm, that is 1:1 for 35mm format.

What is your budget ?
Basic close-up filter will give more distortion at corners. Better one are costly but give lesser distortion, thus better quality.

Hi Megaweb,

What are the brands that are having the better quality close up filter and approximately how much ?

Status
Not open for further replies.