Close up filter vs Macro lens

Status
Not open for further replies.

hobbes187

Apr 3, 2007
Singapore
www.flickr.com
Hi guys,

newbie here needs some help... I'm using a Panasonic FZ50 and usually take macros of insects and flowers. I'm looking to get something to improve the results from my cam...

Currently I have 2 choices - Hoya close up filter ($35 2nd hand) vs Raynox DCR250 macro lens ($110 brand new).

Can anyone advise what is the difference between them? Which is more suited to my purpose and more value for money?

Thanks!!

Both are filters

Hoya filter is single element
- distortion at corners
- quality is moderate

Raynox filter is double elements
- distortion is lesser at corners
- quality is very good

can someone tell mi wat do close-up filters do? do they cut down on the focusing distance and allow u to really get up close wif a normal lens? if so how does it work?:confused:

if you just want to test it out, can try Hoya +4 close up... iirc 50+mm size are available at about 20bucks @ CP.

can someone tell mi wat do close-up filters do? do they cut down on the focusing distance and allow u to really get up close wif a normal lens? if so how does it work?:confused:

Hi Friend,

Maybe this page would be informative to you. Try to read the FAQ section also which contains more in-depth info:
http://www.mcgill.com.sg/shop/produ...id=78&osCsid=ebae41ca06762fb6ccc60172a439a370

Cheers,
Jim, McGill.

Hi Friend,

Maybe this page would be informative to you. Try to read the FAQ section also which contains more in-depth info:
http://www.mcgill.com.sg/shop/produ...id=78&osCsid=ebae41ca06762fb6ccc60172a439a370

Cheers,
Jim, McGill.

hey thks mate! will peruse later...the raynor looks like an excellent lens to use...i m using bth a D70 (kit lens) and a Pana FZ-5. i hope its compatible wif both. Gd to noe i read somewhere in ur article dat the raynor works veri well wif the Pana FZ series...

I stacked 2 Hoya +4 on my 50mm. Each costs $18, should be a bit cheaper now.

Close up filters give rather good image quality but sadly, once they're on yr lens, can only use for close up takes.

i want to convert my Sigma APO lens 80-300mm Macro lens which is capable of 1:2 magnification at 200mm or 300mm to 1:1 magnification

which close filter i should go for?

I stacked 2 Hoya +4 on my 50mm. Each costs $18, should be a bit cheaper now.

Close up filters give rather good image quality but sadly, once they're on yr lens, can only use for close up takes.

possible to get 1:1 mag??

newbie here needs some help... I'm using a Panasonic FZ50 and usually take macros of insects and flowers. I'm looking to get something to improve the results from my cam...

I have a Canon 250D close-up filter to give away. The image quality from this filter will blow away most of the competition. Ask megaweb if you don't believe me (he uses the Canon 500D). :bsmilie: I used it all the time for macro when I had a compact digicam (Canon S1 IS and Sony F717). Now that I've moved onto a DSLR and have a dedicated macro lens, this filter has no more use for me.

I believe the filter size on the FZ50 is 55 mm. Mine is 58 mm. All you need is a step-up adapter. PM me if you're interested.

PS: You may also want to get a separate flash and softbox.

i want to convert my Sigma APO lens 80-300mm Macro lens which is capable of 1:2 magnification at 200mm or 300mm to 1:1 magnification

which close filter i should go for?

Hi totoro17,

Your Sigma has a filter size of 58mm right? If so, Raynox macro lenses DCR-250, CM-3500A and DCR-5320PRO are suitable for you to hit 1:1 or beyond. ;p

For more details, please refer to:
www.mcgill.com.sg

Thanks,
Jim, McGill.

Hi totoro17,

Your Sigma has a filter size of 58mm right? If so, Raynox macro lenses DCR-250, CM-3500A and DCR-5320PRO are suitable for you to hit 1:1 or beyond. ;p

For more details, please refer to:
www.mcgill.com.sg

Thanks,
Jim, McGill.

can you rank them first is the best and y etc...too many details at ur site...very complicated

hmm yea... erm after upgrading to a dslr, i still use the dcr250.

my macro set up is a 50mm f/1.4 prime + hoya macro +4 + dcr250
i can get pretty decent macros cept for the camera shake once in a while.

i also use the dcr250/macro+4 on my sigma 70-300mm however, you shouldn't try it out at 200-300mm focal range for i find it rather hard to focus. at the 70 range its just nice.

Status
Not open for further replies.