Close up filter lens


Status
Not open for further replies.

Zenten

Deregistered
Jun 13, 2004
9,845
8
38
#1
Does anyone have idea as to what close up lens I can get for the FZ20 and at what price? Btw is it necessary to get the full set +1, +2 and +4? Or just +4 will suffice? ;) Also what is the magnification of the +4 close up filter? :confused:
 

spiderman

New Member
Oct 28, 2004
308
0
0
Jurong
#2
Zenten said:
Does anyone have idea as to what close up lens I can get for the FZ20 and at what price? Btw is it necessary to get the full set +1, +2 and +4? Or just +4 will suffice? ;) Also what is the magnification of the +4 close up filter? :confused:
You should ask tchuanye, cos his macro shots are amazing!
 

#3
Try +2 and +4.. +4 will allows you to focus at around 25cm away from the subject. Magnification should be greater than life size if you are going to use the full zoom of the fz20 but mind it.. it not going to be stable handhelding it. Not too sure if the theory is correct, my 180mm macro can obtain life size at its minimum focus distance of 40++cm.. with the fz20 and +4 close up filter, it going to be much more than life size.. :bigeyes:
 

spiderman

New Member
Oct 28, 2004
308
0
0
Jurong
#4
majere2sg said:
Try +2 and +4.. +4 will allows you to focus at around 25cm away from the subject. Magnification should be greater than life size if you are going to use the full zoom of the fz20 but mind it.. it not going to be stable handhelding it. Not too sure if the theory is correct, my 180mm macro can obtain life size at its minimum focus distance of 40++cm.. with the fz20 and +4 close up filter, it going to be much more than life size.. :bigeyes:
which brand is your 180mm macro lens? Sigma or other brand? where can we get it and how much? what is the thread? care to post a few pics w/ & w/o macro? :)

btw, can the fz20 be fitted with a normal tele, wide or macro lens from a normal 35mm camera? i dunno cos i am a beginner. is it as long as the thread fits(if it doesn't a step-up or step-down adapter can be used), it can be used with the FZ20 right? or normal lenses can't be applied to the FZ20? anyone any idea? cos if the FZ20 accepts normal lenses too of 35mm camera, then there are a lot of auctions at yahoo auctions(SG).
 

Zenten

Deregistered
Jun 13, 2004
9,845
8
38
#5
Spidey I think Majere is using an SLR. Those interchangeable lenses he is using cannot apply to the FZ10/20. ;)
 

tchuanye

Moderator
Staff member
Mar 4, 2003
5,453
1
38
Visit site
#7
spiderman said:
You should ask tchuanye, cos his macro shots are amazing!
Spiderman, thanks for the compliment.

Did a quick search and came across this website on computing magnification
http://azone.clubsnap.org/insectguide/page02.html (thanks to Hector Niam)

".....you can do a some calculations to find out magnification factor before deciding which close-up filter/lens to purchase. The formula goes like this:

magnification factor = f / ( 1000 / d )

where
f is the maximum focal length of the camera,
d is the diopter rating of the close-up filter/lens....."

So for FZ, with a maximum focal length of 420 mm. If you are getting a +4 close-up filter, your magnification factor will be:
magnification factor = 420 / ( 1000 / 4 ) = 1.68
Magnification of 1 is life size, in SLR terms anyway, which means the size of the subject is exactly the size it appears on the 35mm negative. For digital, I am not so sure, mybe others can advise. So a x1.68 is more than life size.

For close up filters, you can stack a them together and you can just add up the numbers e.g. +4 and a +2 = +6. Trade-off is distortion at the edges, and reduced DOF, so you will have to be more steady in your shots.

Do note that there are different types of close up lenses. The single element type and the double element type. The single element type are cheaper, but the quality of image is not so good at the edges. The double element produce good image and is more expensive. You can see here for a list of 2 element lens: http://www.angelfire.com/ca/erker/closeups.html
But there are many very nice pics taken with single element filters, as you can see in the above website.

Not too sure of cost though....you will have to ask around.
 

spiderman

New Member
Oct 28, 2004
308
0
0
Jurong
#8
Zenten said:
Spidey I think Majere is using an SLR. Those interchangeable lenses he is using cannot apply to the FZ10/20. ;)

I see so normal 35mm SLR lens can't be use. Ok now what about this link for e.g.:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=3853685996&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT

This Phoenix 3X Tele lens can be used for the FZ20 as long as I have a 52mm adapter. Since this is for Fujifilm FinePix S5000...etc The FZ20 can use it too cos both are digital cameras. Am I correct?
 

tchuanye

Moderator
Staff member
Mar 4, 2003
5,453
1
38
Visit site
#9
spiderman said:
I see so normal 35mm SLR lens can't be use. Ok now what about this link for e.g.:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=3853685996&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT

This Phoenix 3X Tele lens can be used for the FZ20 as long as I have a 52mm adapter. Since this is for Fujifilm FinePix S5000...etc The FZ20 can use it too cos both are digital cameras. Am I correct?
This is a telephoto lens and not for macro......
 

Zenten

Deregistered
Jun 13, 2004
9,845
8
38
#10
You are the main man when it comes to macros and close-ups. I suppose that you are using a +4 close-up filter for most of your macro shots. Then again stacking close up filters, won't that lead to image degradation? May I ask what brand of close-up filter you are using and what's the price?
 

tchuanye

Moderator
Staff member
Mar 4, 2003
5,453
1
38
Visit site
#11
Zenten said:
You are the main man when it comes to macros and close-ups. I suppose that you are using a +4 close-up filter for most of your macro shots. Then again stacking close up filters, won't that lead to image degradation? May I ask what brand of close-up filter you are using and what's the price?
I am using a Nikon 6T (+2.9) (about S$78) and sometimes with Sigma (+1.6) (about S$50 afew yrs ago). Both are double element lens. Well, I do stack, and I am happy with the resulting shots....ultimately you must be happy with what you get, whether stack or not, single or double etc.

The details on the magnification can be found here: http://tchuanye.smugmug.com/gallery/270550
 

Zenten

Deregistered
Jun 13, 2004
9,845
8
38
#12
tchuanye said:
I am using a Nikon 6T (+2.9) (about S$78) and sometimes with Sigma (+1.6) (about S$50 afew yrs ago). Both are double element lens. Well, I do stack, and I am happy with the resulting shots....ultimately you must be happy with what you get, whether stack or not, single or double etc.

The details on the magnification can be found here: http://tchuanye.smugmug.com/gallery/270550
Actually I have a 0.5x wide converter with macro lens. Does this mean that I can focus at half the distance, i.e as close as 2.5cm instead of 5cm for the FZ20? What then would the resultant magnification be? (Sorry to bombard you with so many questions). :think:
 

tchuanye

Moderator
Staff member
Mar 4, 2003
5,453
1
38
Visit site
#13
Zenten said:
Actually I have a 0.5x wide converter with macro lens. Does this mean that I can focus at half the distance, i.e as close as 2.5cm instead of 5cm for the FZ20? What then would the resultant magnification be? (Sorry to bombard you with so many questions). :think:
No problem....I am no expert in this....in fact when asked the question, I search the net to see if I can get the answer, and in the process...I learn something new :D

Ok, so based on the formula above, with the 0.5x, the magnification of the subject will be halfed. So instead of 420mm in the formula, you can only get 210mm at 12x and all else being equal, your magnification is halfed. Once you add a close up filter to whatever camera or lens, the distance remains the same....again I learn this from Hector Niam's website:

http://azone.clubsnap.org/insectguide/page02.html
"..............Theoretically, close-up filters and macro lens have a fixed focusing distance (depending on the diopter rating), regardless of what camera you use. How do we know calculate this distance? Mathematically, you can calculate this by dividing 1 metre by the diopter rating and you'll get the focusing distance (in metre).
Take for example I have a +4 close-up filter, my focusing distance should be:
focusing distance = 1 metre / d = 1 metre / 4 = 0.25 metre
where
d is the diopter rating of the close-up filter or macro lens.

But in practice, the actual distance may not be exactly as calculated. For example, when a +4 filter is used on the S602, instead of a focusing distance of 25cm, I get approximately 22cm. With a +2 filter, I'm getting around 35cm instead of the supposedly 50cm (1m divided by 2 = 50cm). You can conduct a quick check by switching to manual focus mode (with the close-up filter mounted on), zoom all the way up, then move the camera to and fro until you see the subject sharp in focus in the LCD. That should be the approximate distance you can focus at.......................... "

Hope this help, and hope I am correct.....anyone pls correct me if I am wrong....
 

Zenten

Deregistered
Jun 13, 2004
9,845
8
38
#14
tchuanye said:
No problem....I am no expert in this....in fact when asked the question, I search the net to see if I can get the answer, and in the process...I learn something new :D

Ok, so based on the formula above, with the 0.5x, the magnification of the subject will be halfed. So instead of 420mm in the formula, you can only get 210mm at 12x and all else being equal, your magnification is halfed. Once you add a close up filter to whatever camera or lens, the distance remains the same....again I learn this from Hector Niam's website:

http://azone.clubsnap.org/insectguide/page02.html
"..............Theoretically, close-up filters and macro lens have a fixed focusing distance (depending on the diopter rating), regardless of what camera you use. How do we know calculate this distance? Mathematically, you can calculate this by dividing 1 metre by the diopter rating and you'll get the focusing distance (in metre).
Take for example I have a +4 close-up filter, my focusing distance should be:
focusing distance = 1 metre / d = 1 metre / 4 = 0.25 metre
where
d is the diopter rating of the close-up filter or macro lens.

But in practice, the actual distance may not be exactly as calculated. For example, when a +4 filter is used on the S602, instead of a focusing distance of 25cm, I get approximately 22cm. With a +2 filter, I'm getting around 35cm instead of the supposedly 50cm (1m divided by 2 = 50cm). You can conduct a quick check by switching to manual focus mode (with the close-up filter mounted on), zoom all the way up, then move the camera to and fro until you see the subject sharp in focus in the LCD. That should be the approximate distance you can focus at.......................... "

Hope this help, and hope I am correct.....anyone pls correct me if I am wrong....
Let me try and digest this......Ugggh cannot tahan ...stomach ache... must go toilet first!!! :confused:
 

gernie

New Member
Aug 20, 2004
233
0
0
#15
Zenten said:
Let me try and digest this......Ugggh cannot tahan ...stomach ache... must go toilet first!!! :confused:

:eek: don't close-up ur cake ya :sweatsm:
 

LifeWorld

Senior Member
Jan 18, 2002
2,324
0
0
East Coast
lifeworld.multiply.com
#16
Good points, tchuanye.

One more advantage with FZ20 is, in macro mode, at wide (5cm) It could still zoom-in to slightly before 3X OZ (i.e 3X6=18mm FL) and it still could focus, be it AF or MF! :thumbsup:
 

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom