Close up attachments for Tamron SP AF17-50mm F/2.8 XR Di II LD Aspherical [IF] lens

GhostRecon

Jan 25, 2011
Central
Hi all,

I came across a couple of suggestions for newbies who want to try out macro photography but is not ready to fork out a sum for a proper macro lens.

Hence I'm wondering if there are any suitable close up attachment for the above mention lens available in the market? I went through Tamron's website but it gave no details at all.

Any recommendations and suggestions are welcome from the seniors here. Thanks a bunch in advance. :D

Hi all,

I came across a couple of suggestions for newbies who want to try out macro photography but is not ready to fork out a sum for a proper macro lens.

Hence I'm wondering if there are any suitable close up attachment for the above mention lens available in the market? I went through Tamron's website but it gave no details at all.

Any recommendations and suggestions are welcome from the seniors here. Thanks a bunch in advance. :D

You can look up on Raynox macro adaptors.

These adapters (be it Raynox or other brands) are not specific for a certain lens brand.

also, look up extension tubes and reversing rings.

Avoid cheapo adaptors that fit on the front of the lens. The Raynox is reportedly good (never tried it myself), but some of the cheap ones are really bad.

Hmm, does that mean most of the extensions will fit for my lens?

I'm shooting on a Nikon D300s with the abovementioned Tamron lens by the way.

Hmm, does that mean most of the extensions will fit for my lens?

I'm shooting on a Nikon D300s with the abovementioned Tamron lens by the way.

Depends on what you are talking about here. Raynox and other macro filters are not lens specific, just depends on the size. If you are talking about extension tubes and reverse adaptor rings, they are mount specific and in your case you should get the Nikon mounts

Raynox close-up lens

DSC00012-1.jpg

HOYA close-up lens

DSC00015.jpg

Advantages of reverse ring

Cost-saving. Instead of buying dedicated macro lens, you use the lens that you already have.

Disadvantages of reverse ring

You'll lose the auto-focus capability. This may not be an issue since manual focus is preferred method of focusing for macro photography anyway.

On some cameras, you may lose TTL auto-exposure.

Dusts getting into the lens

Danger of scratching the unprotected rear lens element.

Do not mount the Raynox on the Tamron 17-50 f2.8, I've tried it and it gives severe vignetting even at the 50mm setting. This is because the Raynox was designed for lenses with smaller filter threads. Try it on a 50mm f1.8 lens, I've seen excellent results from that setup. You'll have to spend a little more to get that 50 prime, but it gives much better results.

......Try it on a 50mm f1.8 lens, I've seen excellent results from that setup. You'll have to spend a little more to get that 50 prime, but it gives much better results.

Only set back using the 50mm is:

1. You only get magnification of about 0.6X

2. Your working distance is about 75mm to 80mm; not good for shooting skittish subject.

A 100mm or 135mm prime will be a better option.

Only set back using the 50mm is:

1. You only get magnification of about 0.6X

2. Your working distance is about 75mm to 80mm; not good for shooting skittish subject.

A 100mm or 135mm prime will be a better option.

Ah, TS did not state what type of macro photography he wants to do though. I will agree that a 100 or 135 prime would work better, but TS says he's on a budget so I don't think he will find a 100 or 135 prime quite attractive in terms of price.