clients who bail out on you at the last min

Status
Not open for further replies.

agentmonkey

Jul 10, 2004
www.flickr.com
has this happened to you guys before? and what course of action do you take? if for example it's a wedding job

nah, not to me personally, but i was talking to a friend of mine...don't think there was a deposit or a written contract..just verbal..maybe sms and email...but like no binding contract... friend had a couple of guys working for it doing video and they (the couple) wanted him to go down and just do something really simple during the wedding dinner, which is basically to flick a switch (some technical thing to do with videos which i don't quite understand), which of course he refused to do because anyone could do that (there was supposed to be a live feed going on during the dinner, which two of his guys would be covering)

apparently late last night the organiser smsed him something very vague like "tomorrow you no need come" which he naturally thought meant that he didn't need to turn up at the wedding dinner to flick the switch..but what the organiser meant was the job was cancelled....the videographers turned up at the respective bride and groom houses today only to find that they weren't needed anymore

i think it's quite serious... :angry: i think a deposit shd be paid if client is not someone you know personally.

in this case it's miscommunication..so is there anything that can be done? worth going to small claims court? definitely next time i think they'll consider drafting out a contract and getting the clients to put in a deposit..lesson learnt from this mistake

If you know where the client works, go straight into their office and demand payment. Sometimes the tactic of embarrassment works.

work place don;t know, but church yeah....they know which church...haha..

Think your friend is in the wrong too. If the job required him to flick the switch, why don't he just do it?

Even you don't understand what this switch is about, how can you expect the couple or his family to know.

Sorry to be blunt, but does your friend even know how to run his own business?

Black and white is a basic pre-requisite of every job assignment... SG's laws (fortunately) are pretty effective in ensuring that parties to a contract abide to them. And would have ruled out any such unpleasantries...

i guess when you're too used to working for other people and suddenly make the transition to working for yourself, there will be bound to be mistakes that would be made? granted some people would have foreseen this, but there are others who aren't so business orientated...they might have the skills required (videography..photography..design etc) but unfortunately are lacking in skills required for running their own business (keeping accounts and all that)

Black and white also no F use nowadays, esp for such small jobs like weddings.

Money talks. Only Money talks.

Some people very chao kuan lar. Its very small minority but after you shoot more and more stuff you will see all the available patterns.
Ever come across married couple divorcing within 1 week (and then you paiseh to collect payment). This is why i put down black and white must collect payment on the actual day. For me i do not force them (ie can TT over next day), but i ever heard cases whereby the VG stayed on and dragged/argued with the wedding couple and the couple threatened to sue (coz they are from high society mah - Fullerton One).

You get all kinds one lar. So LL, just move on and count as lesson learnt.

Just recently come across, quotation already stated clearly in terms, No reserve, confirmation based on deposit and first come first served basis. Dickhead still called me to reserve date, i told him first come first served, i could meet anytime in fact to collect deposit. Wife overseas so cannot confirm first wth deposit, earliest meetup is still 1+ weeks later. I fixed meetup.....but true enough another couple confirmed date. So now cannot take his wedding, and he still can blow top accusing me of playing him out? Not sure if this happens only in Singapore? :embrass:

But thinking back, i still have the greatest marvel for 1 couple who spent 1hr 15 mins with me, talking about any VG to recommend, lobangs for all sorts of things from special effects like cannons, ideas on sabo, outdoor location shoots.....but in the end never sign up. Sibeh buay paiseh. So nowadays have to implement "meetup rationing", coz i really do not have time to anyhow meetup, so i confirm verbally through mobile first that they will be paying up deposit before meeting up. :devil: All my styles and pix are online (over 10 galleries), best thing is some do not feel paiseh about wasting over 1hr of your time to view 10 albums, montages and discussion, and then not confirming. And I have to buy them drinks somemore!

aiyah singaporeans are a bunch of horribly buay paiseh chao kuan ugly ppl... of cos there are many pleasent ppl around but those ugly singaporeans are really damn #&@)#^%)#$^@() to deal with. Pay peanuts expect to get gold tap, den last minute cancel here change there... Even in sales it happens all the time so yea... just gotta move on man

Yes, take it as lesson learnt (esp if it does not cost you any money, just time/effort). In fact, this is invaluable, if you learn. Next time it can actually save you from bigger troubles by standing firm. Move and, do bigger things, and HUAT AH! :bsmilie:

Just collect money first, prepare contracts and cover your ass.

Yes, take it as lesson learnt (esp if it does not cost you any money, just time/effort). In fact, this is invaluable, if you learn. Next time it can actually save you from bigger troubles by standing firm. Move and, do bigger things, and HUAT AH! :bsmilie:

wah seow eh...you si bei lao cheow man...i look up to you ! seriously! thanks for sharing bro :)

wah seow eh...you si bei lao cheow man...i look up to you ! seriously! thanks for sharing bro :)

I mean, i used to have gone through all these s*** which couples do man. Nobody is infallible. Actually a few months ago a couple bailed out, and with just a $50 deposit who wouldn't dare? I was too softhearted to stand firm when they said they did not bring enough $$$ (shd have followed them to ATM). Nowadays the trick I was taught is nevermind just accept first, but be wary of them (this is your RIGHT). If another couple asks, call the couple who has booked to confirm that the wedding is still on. Repeat for any additional couple enquiring for the date. Put a small sticker or highlight the slot on your calendar schedule for this special couple. :angel:

So 3 outcomes, either they feel irritated in the end and top up deposit :)angel:), or they will still not bail out in the end, and if they still bail out then i have nothing to say. I think 99% of cases, people want face.

But for special cases, like family members passing away, that one I guess i'd still return the deposit lar. I don't feel good taking the deposit. Sometimes it just happens, few days prior to wedding and an immediate family member dies, and i don't think anybody jokes about such things.

You should ask for a copy of the death certificate if you are prepared to waive your contractual rights. You have no idea what some people will do in the name of money.

You should ask for a copy of the death certificate if you are prepared to waive your contractual rights. You have no idea what some people will do in the name of money.

You want to go shoot the funeral too?
Come on. You want to be kiasu also not like that. Thwy are cursing their family if it is untrue.

Nope, I never said that I want to go shoot a funeral.

As I've said, there are people who may do anything for money - there are so many criminal acts being committed all for money - whats more just a "curse" on the family - some even con their own family to feed their habits.

If you wish to put YOUR own money on the line, the choice really is yours to make. :)

You want to go shoot the funeral too?
Come on. You want to be kiasu also not like that. Thwy are cursing their family if it is untrue.

Nope, I never said that I want to go shoot a funeral.

As I've said, there are people who may do anything for money - there are so many criminal acts being committed all for money - whats more just a "curse" on the family - some even con their own family to feed their habits.

If you wish to put YOUR own money on the line, the choice really is yours to make. :)

When your potential client tell you that someone in the family has passed away. Therefore, the wedding has to be cancel or postphone.

Do you think it is a good practise to say: "Can I have a look at the death cert?"

Status
Not open for further replies.