clients who bail out on you at the last min

Status
Not open for further replies.
You should ask for a copy of the death certificate if you are prepared to waive your contractual rights. You have no idea what some people will do in the name of money.

wah lau.... neber hear this kind of stuff. BTW, happened to me. My father died and I had to postponed my wedding for like 6+ months I think.

BTW, NOBODY and I mean NOBODY asked for death cert when I requested for extension. hotel never ask, photographer never ask, wedding boutique never ask...... all of them gave me extension and kept the original pricing somemore.

In such a situation, it would then be up to the photographer in question to decide whether he's willing to make economic loss, or try to retain goodwill. That is a question that would be unique to each photographer's personality, business model, client profile, and particular experience with that client, amounts involved, sunk costs etc.

If for example, the photographer knows this client is a difficult/flippant client, and/or if the photographer has sunk costs to rent equipment, and/or if the photographer has turned away an equally if not more lucrative deal, and/or if the deal value is worth S$20,000 for example. I would not immediately rule out asking for a death certificate. In fact, even with a death certificate, it is doubtful that a death certificate would provide a good defense to a breach of contract.

Of course if the amount is small, if the client is a good client with long business relationship (and potential for more), or if no sunk costs were made, of course you won't be asking for a death certificate as that is bad PR.

The key question is to be alive to the fact that reasons for breach may sometimes be manufactured.

When your potential client tell you that someone in the family has passed away. Therefore, the wedding has to be cancel or postphone.

Do you think it is a good practise to say: "Can I have a look at the death cert?"

That is because they probably still want to keep your business? It could also be because there is no loss to them by the extension.

If you try the death in a family thing, for someone who say, has no commercial interest to retain goodwill, say for example, to postpone ICT. It is not unconceivable that the officer in charge would request for some evidentiary proof before letting you go. That is just an example for illustration only - I have no idea if they want to ask.

As stated in the post earlier, if you wish to suck it up and absorb the costs, sure you can forgo asking.

As an aside, if for example, the couple breaches the contract, and the photographer decides to sue (whether death or not). When the case goes to court, and if the couple wants to bring death as a defence (the merits of which is still doubtful), they would have to submit the death certificate as proof of their defence or claim.

wah lau.... neber hear this kind of stuff. BTW, happened to me. My father died and I had to postponed my wedding for like 6+ months I think.

BTW, NOBODY and I mean NOBODY asked for death cert when I requested for extension. hotel never ask, photographer never ask, wedding boutique never ask...... all of them gave me extension and kept the original pricing somemore.

Actually, I have known of couples who PURPOSELY bail out at last minute bcos they:
1. found a better deal
2. got someone to shoot for FREE (eg. friend, colleague, etc)

And why LAST MINUTE? Cos paiseh to cancel and dun wanna deal with the PG/VG bugging them non-stop before their wedding. Cancel at last minute, enjoy their day and forget about you.

Simple way to go about this, pay a lawyer to draft a proper contract for you which you can easily fill up customer's details and the package details. The phrasing and all has to be correct, if not people can challenge (for those really eng n rich ones la). Probably have to pay a small fee to the lawyer for his help, but it is a good investment to cover ur arse.

I signed a contract for my own wedding. And as a customer, I never regretted, cos I felt assured that my PG/VG are professional enough. In the agreement, they even state that spare/backup cameras will be available, model no of equipment tt will be used, etc etc. Very pro.

Status
Not open for further replies.