Cleaning of sensor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mercy81

Nov 4, 2008
Hi, just bought an EOS450D , just wondering , how do i clean my sensor in the camera. I read in the forum that it is very delicate, therefore should not anyhow meddle with it.
a) I heard of a static brush which can be used to clean sensor.
b) Is blower a good choice to clean the sensor, or will it make matter worse? since it is blowing the dust all around.

Do you guys have any special ways to mantain ur sensor dust free?

Thank you.:dunno:

Not recommend to clean the sensor yourself unless you know very well how to do it ,if not some time you will get thing worse, it will be better send to the canon work shop to do it for you . :nono::thumbsup:

Blowers are the best choice.

also, reading the newbies guide and the many previous threads about this is a good idea too.

In short, if you are asking this question, you should not be doing sensor cleaning yourself.

Cleaning of sensor is done by very experience photographers who knows what they are doing. You will reach that state after using your equipment much longer and understand what to watch out for during sensor cleaning after reading up more.

There are a lot of resources but can be quite daunting when you know full well that by touching the sensor, you WILL void warranty, and if you scratch the low pass filter, it WILL be a costly replacement. This link I personally think is good enough a guide to sensor cleaning. http://www.cleaningdigitalcameras.com/

One thing for sure is never touch your sensor with anything even if it feel soft to you. You may not damage the sensor with a cotton bug, but chances are you left it with lint or more dust. The sensor after some static built up will attract dust, so any minor particles on your cotton bug or cloth or so forth will stick to it. There is a 200+ static removal that you can purchase from Cathay Photo to help remove dust using static attraction, but it doesn't wipe nor should you even wipe your sensor :) You will risk scratching it :)

I personally use blower because D3 doesn't have those anti dust shaking mechanism. But use with extreme caution. BEfore you spray, ALWAYS TEST IT FIRST.

1) Make sure you didn't shake your can before hand
2) Do one or twice spray out to blast away possible dust or fluid spray through
3) Keep your sensor incline downwards to help dust dropping down.
4) Only tilt your can slightly upwards. Not too much or you risk fluid spraying thru
5) Use hard and fast burst of air to blow the dust away.

Disclaimer: These are only my personal opinion. I am not responsible for any damage that may cause or will cause to your equipment :)

I've used one of those swab things, and somehow they always leave streaks behind.

Get one of those head-mounted adjustable LED lights. Makes inspection a lot easier. From time to time, do a visual inspection. I only clean when necessary, otherwise I leave it well alone.

Two products I use: Speck Grabber by Kinetronics to remove the elephants anywhere on the sensor or mirror chamber.

The second thing I use is SensorKlear by Lenspen. I heard this is the exact same thing Canon Service Centre uses to clean sensors?

I don't use blower for fear that the gush of air may stir up even more dust and/or cause the surfaces inside to be statically charged, thereby attracting even more dust. (Probably of a greater concern in dry, temperate environments lah)

Status
Not open for further replies.