Cleaning of Mirror in DSLR

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all,

I'm just curious, how often do you guys clean the mirror inside the DSLR? Does the mirror haa a coating like the lens which will be destroyed after using solution or excessive wiping by cloth/lenspen??

ordinaryless said:
Hi all,

I'm just curious, how often do you guys clean the mirror inside the DSLR? Does the mirror haa a coating like the lens which will be destroyed after using solution or excessive wiping by cloth/lenspen??

Wipe it only when it's dirty, that's most logical. Itchy hand you go and touch here, touch there it's only going to increase the risk of damage to the camera parts, especially the focusing screen.

AFAIK, it has no special surface coating but that doesn't mean you should clean it excessively.

mirrors are EXTREMELY prone to scratches, leave it, if need to just blow gently with blower, be careful of your shutter though

may i jus ask another question..

I see minute particles when i place my lens in a front of a light source and look through it. It doesnt seems to be on the surface. Is this normal?
I don't think a lens can be 100% particles free, am i right?

1. SLR mirrors are surface silvered. Cleaning it will wear out the silvering. Avoid.
2. "particles" in the lens when you view a light source through it are probably dust specs on the inner elements. It'll happen sooner or later. Doesnt affect the image, unless it looks like a snow field in there.

ordinaryless said:
may i jus ask another question..

I see minute particles when i place my lens in a front of a light source and look through it. It doesnt seems to be on the surface. Is this normal?
I don't think a lens can be 100% particles free, am i right?

yes, 100% normal
fret not...

headlesschook said:
1. SLR mirrors are surface silvered. Cleaning it will wear out the silvering. Avoid.
2. "particles" in the lens when you view a light source through it are probably dust specs on the inner elements. It'll happen sooner or later. Doesnt affect the image, unless it looks like a snow field in there.

Thanks manz! damn, thought there were unremovable residues on the outer layer, kept wiping repeatedly, damn...

hope u find ya head soon ;)

Hey man, when you say you wipe your lens I hope you meant wiping your filter in front of the lens element. Too hard/much wiping on the lens elements can cause the coatings to wear off too. Take care!!

FiveIronFrenzy said:
Hey man, when you say you wipe your lens I hope you meant wiping your filter in front of the lens element. Too hard/much wiping on the lens elements can cause the coatings to wear off too. Take care!!

I know :( :(

i hope the coating has now worn off... :sweat: :sweat:
:rolleyes:

I have not even bothered to look at the mirror or CCD when changing lenses. Why clean when it is not dirty? I will only take a look at it if I find dust particles appearing on my pictures.

NiVleK said:
I have not even bothered to look at the mirror or CCD when changing lenses. Why clean when it is not dirty? I will only take a look at it if I find dust particles appearing on my pictures.

mirror can be quite dusty easily..as for CCD, i didnt quite bother too..keke

to avoid dust coming into the mirror, still better to turn off the camera when u change lens. Reason because switching off will not cause the camera to attack dust as there is no static electricity. Try it you will have no problems of dust.

tink i wouldnt even dare to touch the mirror in my cam :sweat:

Jason H0 said:
to avoid dust coming into the mirror, still better to turn off the camera when u change lens. Reason because switching off will not cause the camera to attack dust as there is no static electricity. Try it you will have no problems of dust.

Hmmz, i thought we must always off our camera when changing lens? Keke, nope? Anyway i guess its a good practice to off the camera whenever u wanna change lens or take out CF card..

;)

ordinaryless said:
Hmmz, i thought we must always off our camera when changing lens? Keke, nope? Anyway i guess its a good practice to off the camera whenever u wanna change lens or take out CF card..

;)

I'm no pro, but from what i have heard, some pro needs to change lens quickly so they don't off the camera. they dismount > mount > point > SHOT!

Perhaps some pros here can enlighten :cool:

new learning today:

for the 10D, there's a physical shutter underneath the reflex mirror. dust isn't that much of a problem... but doesn't mean that we can change our lenses sssssslowly in presence of dust... ;)

sehsuan said:
new learning today:

for the 10D, there's a physical shutter underneath the reflex mirror. dust isn't that much of a problem... but doesn't mean that we can change our lenses sssssslowly in presence of dust... ;)

Noobie here. So if you activate the "sensor clean" the cam will both lift the mirror and open the shutter?

Status
Not open for further replies.