Cleaning of Lens...Pls help

Status
Not open for further replies.

wenx

Mar 27, 2004
Hi, I just bought myself a prosumer digi cam. As I am new to photography, I don't really know how to take care of the lens. Besides installing a UV filter, storing in drybox, how should I clean the len, how often should I clean it? Is there other areas which I should take note of??

Thanks a million...in advance! :D

wenx said:
Hi, I just bought myself a prosumer digi cam. As I am new to photography, I don't really know how to take care of the lens. Besides installing a UV filter, storing in drybox, how should I clean the len, how often should I clean it? Is there other areas which I should take note of??

Thanks a million...in advance! :D

i don't clean my lens unless i need to. that is when it is smudged with my fingerprint or some particles on it. i don't really get bothered by dust since it does not really seem to affect the pictures.

get a lens cleaning kit... shld consist of a blower, brush, lens cloth/tissue, lens solution.

some ppl advised to avoid cheap cleaning solution as they remove a layer of coating on the lens. i am not sure how true this is, but i play safe. so i rather spend a few more dollars on it than risk spoiling the lens. anyway, i seldom get to use the lens solution.

buy a lens pen, there tere two sizes, depending on your lens, buy one for wiping fingerprints/ other stains. cleans your viewfinder too if your cam has one.

get a blower to remove most of the dust on your cam. on the lens or anywhere else.

get a microcloth to clean your camera and wipe dirt, sweat, salt off your camera, get 2 one wet one dry. One 'wet' one to clean your cam, the other dry one to wipe off the excess water. You should damp your cloth actually. Should not be drippping, should be just moist.

i never use a cleaning solution all this while cos i never believe in it.

Bsplenden and Belle, Thanks for your replies... Ok, didn't know its that easy... Thanks for the help man...

belle & sebastian - re lenspen - do you find that it leaves a residue on the lens? i got mine last weekend and cleaned my lens and it left a smudgy kind of residue that came off only after i used a kanebo cleaning cloth.

I use the Lenspen, and have never seen any kind of residue on my lenses or filters. It uses a dry cleaning compound that works very well. Try breathing lightly, then using the LP over the surface and see if it removes the 'residue'. Could be just excessive oil on your lens that didn't get removed completely by the Lenspen, hence you see streaky residues?

mikey115 said:
belle & sebastian - re lenspen - do you find that it leaves a residue on the lens? i got mine last weekend and cleaned my lens and it left a smudgy kind of residue that came off only after i used a kanebo cleaning cloth.

if its very new, yes will leave some form of compound but after a few uses more than 3 will not have any more. :D

What I know is that the lenspen uses a carbon powder to clean the surface. The residue you see is most prob caused by having too much carbon powder on the tip. Just dun twist the cap over the tip too much.

gymrat, belle & sebastian n catpuke - thanks for the replies and the suggestions - much appreciated. the residue was sort of streaky and just seemed to move around in circles instead of being lifted off the lens. the pen is very new - needs to be broken in like everything else :)

Always use a lint-free cloth or paper to wipe. You can get the "Pec Pad" at CP. You might also want to try using things like Elipse fluid. Anyway, if you read articles on CCD cleaning, they recommend using Pec Pad and Eclipse.

Status
Not open for further replies.