Cleaning of len (internally) affect sharpness?

Status
Not open for further replies.

undergrd

Jun 16, 2007
North-East
Hi People,

Recently I found dust inside one of my tammy len so would like to ask if I send it for cleaning, will it affect the sharpness of my len? Cos this len of my is a sharp copy, worried that if i send it for cleaning, it might affect the sharpness.

Anyone can advise?

Thanks thanks...:)

Is the lens broken and the dust so bad that it affects the photos drastically?

If not, don't fix what isn't broken. :)

I had a lens from a batch which all had quite a bit of dust inside. By quite a lot, think of a lens that sits on an open shelf face up with no cap for a week or two without being disturbed. That was how much dust was inside.

Didn't make a bit of difference to any of the photos or operation of the lens.

Congratulations to your first dust. Be assured that it won't be the last :bsmilie:
Learn to accept it, if it doesn't affect picture quality no point worrying about it.
Btw: it's lens; Plural: lenses

I haven try whether the dust affects the image quality. Will try out tonight. Just felt irritated by it when I saw a 1mm hair line inside it...

I haven try whether the dust affects the image quality. Will try out tonight. Just felt irritated by it when I saw a 1mm hair line inside it...
even it is 1mm thick, it might not show on images, that depends on where it located and what aperture you use.

learn to live with that, our world is not dust free.

Hi People,

Recently I found dust inside one of my tammy len so would like to ask if I send it for cleaning, will it affect the sharpness of my len? Cos this len of my is a sharp copy, worried that if i send it for cleaning, it might affect the sharpness.

Anyone can advise?

Thanks thanks...:)

The lens is not 100% air sealed, so every time we adjust the zoom ring, it sucks in air through the gaps. No amount of cleaning can remove every single speck of dust in the lens. The dust in the lens doesn't have significant impact to the photos. If lens is not spoiled, it is not necessary to send in to service center.

dont bother to clean it.... it only shows that you use the lens and is not kept in the dry cab

it is ok, one dust wouldn't affect anything. As compared, your camera sensor will have a lot more dust than that one dust.

And the only dust free sensor camera is the one that did not get used. Same goes with lenses.

Thanks Ppl. Will just try it out tonight and see how is the result. Probably like what you guys have said, just live with it...

Just make sure that the hairline is a hair and not the onset of fungus. Did you keep the lens in a dry box or dry cabinet?

And don't ever shine a torch through the lens unless you're prepared to be able to live with the tiny dust particles you're going to see which does not affect the picture at all.

Last edited:
Just make sure that the hairline is a hair and not the onset of fungus. Did you keep the lens in a dry box or dry cabinet?

And don't ever shine a torch through the lens unless you're prepared to be able to live with the tiny dust particles you're going to see which does not affect the picture at all.

Yes, i always keep my lens in the dry cabinet everytime straight after using. hmm...hopefully it is not fungus... :(

Yes, i always keep my lens in the dry cabinet everytime straight after using. hmm...hopefully it is not fungus... :(

Then it's unlikely to be fungus if the humidity is set correctly. Might just be a little bit of lint from your cleaning cloth? It's should be fine. Just ignore it, after a while it may be gone also.

Btw, does the camera workshop provides cleaning of lens? If yes, any idea how much they charge?

Btw, does the camera workshop provides cleaning of lens? If yes, any idea how much they charge?

Cleaning for 1 speck of dust? It'll be in there every week then.

I only use Nikon Service Center, prime lens is cheaper, about $100 over, zoom lens is $150 and above,
outside workshop may be 30% lesser..

usually they don't want to take such job as in clearing one speck of dust, as the lens can't be 100% dust free, beside, such people will keep coming back to KPKB about the lens is not 100% clean.

Again... :bsmilie:

I think should make a sticky thread how to spell it correctly

Yeah, it's such an unusual and rarely used word within photographic context, let's give them some pointers.

Status
Not open for further replies.