Cleaning of Equipment

Status
Not open for further replies.

_BEE_

Apr 1, 2004
Hi! I am an amateur and I woudl like to get my equipment cleaned. Hence, would appreciate if fellow photographers could advise whether I can DIT or better send for servicing.

1. How to remove the speck of dirt from my viewfinder?
2. My telephoto lens lost its sensitivity, i.e. if I put on the polariser, it doesn't work. Should I get it changed or servicing is enough.
3. How often should I get my equipment checked?
4. Any good site on how to do a check on my own?
5. I keep my equipment in an airtight box (with silicon). Is it enough?
6. Are those things in a normal cleaning kit enough? Which ones should I get?

Sorry for being so loh-soh.

Appreciate any response.

Thanks a lot.

Regards,
B

If it is stuck in between the focus glass and the viewfinder, it's pretty difficult to remove it. Try a blower. Might work

2. My telephoto lens lost its sensitivity, i.e. if I put on the polariser, it doesn't work. Should I get it changed or servicing is enough.
What telephone are you using? Polarise make u lose 1-2 stop of light. For some lens/camera combo, there is too little light for the camera to auto focus.

When you think it is giving you inaccurate result. If it's still within warrant, go as and went you have the time and dun need the camera.

What feature you wanna check?

Should be enough. But problem with silicon in box is that it could get too dry. Invest in a electric dry box if you can afford.

Basically, a blower and a lens pen/cloth will be sufficient for general cleaning.

Have fun and keep shooting.

binbeto said:
If it is stuck in between the focus glass and the viewfinder, it's pretty difficult to remove it. Try a blower. Might work

What telephone are you using? Polarise make u lose 1-2 stop of light. For some lens/camera combo, there is too little light for the camera to auto focus.

When you think it is giving you inaccurate result. If it's still within warrant, go as and went you have the time and dun need the camera.

What feature you wanna check?

Should be enough. But problem with silicon in box is that it could get too dry. Invest in a electric dry box if you can afford.

Basically, a blower and a lens pen/cloth will be sufficient for general cleaning.

Have fun and keep shooting.

about the ans for point 5, what will happen if the box get too dry? bad for the cam and lens?

bsplenden said:
about the ans for point 5, what will happen if the box get too dry? bad for the cam and lens?

If too dry, the lubrication in the equipment will dry up. Certain rubber may harden.

What type of blower is considered a good one? Where can I find out how to clean my camera body, i.e. which are the parts I should look out for and how to figure out "checking up those areas"? I read that some use thirsty hippo, is it advisable or worst than silicon?

binbeto said:
If too dry, the lubrication in the equipment will dry up. Certain rubber may harden.

so its nt advisable to get a box and place silica gel in?? and i shld go for one with a hydrometer?

bsplenden said:
so its nt advisable to get a box and place silica gel in?? and i shld go for one with a hydrometer?

Yes.... they aren't expensive especially the small top loading ones..... if u wnat to get a better one, try Am-Pro, u can get from Carrefoure when they have sale, sometimes below $100.... mine is mid sized one I it cost me about $150... I have 2 bodies, 5 lens, 2 flashes, 2 filters, batteries, film, 1 P&S film, 1 P&S digicam plus some disposable cameras..... for a dry cabinet that has 3 shelves, it's pretty good...

_BEE_ said:
What type of blower is considered a good one? Where can I find out how to clean my camera body, i.e. which are the parts I should look out for and how to figure out "checking up those areas"? I read that some use thirsty hippo, is it advisable or worst than silicon?

The black yellow one at ruby(penisular, do a search, dun ask me where it is :D ) is recomended by me. Avoid one with metal tip if you go for other model.

You can get a quote for cleaning at 2nd hand camera shop or the authorised repair center of your camera model. They not only clean. They will lubricate and adjust the camera for you. Make sure you roughly know the price else you might be overcharge by those 2nd hand camera shop.

Thirsty hippo has the same effect as silicon.

bsplenden said:

It really depends on your budget. If you frequently take out the camera, it won't turn too dry that quickly.

Hydrometer is just there to tell you the relative humilty of the air in the box. Those hydrometer that came with the box may not be accurate too.. Some user reported the reading to be off by >10%.

binbeto said:
It really depends on your budget. If you frequently take out the camera, it won't turn too dry that quickly.

Hydrometer is just there to tell you the relative humilty of the air in the box. Those hydrometer that came with the box may not be accurate too.. Some user reported the reading to be off by >10%.

huh... so troublesome... i student oni where got so easy to fork out $100... den how? :(

bsplenden said:
huh... so troublesome... i student oni where got so easy to fork out $100... den how? :(

Buy the top-loading dry boxes with hygrometers lor..... they cost less than $50 for some models... of course they are quite small... but if u are looking to put in just a compact SLR body, 1 or 2 lenses and maybe a flash, it is more than sufficient....

bsplenden said:

Ya.. I agree everyone has a budget. So in the meantime just use the box + silicon method 1st.

A lot of people is still using this method and have so far not read one that have complain abt too dry. Maybe i missed out of those post. :dunno:

Try saving little by little loh. To give yourself a peace of mind on your much more expensive equipment.

Status
Not open for further replies.