Cleaning Lens

Status
Not open for further replies.

ohmymy

Sep 14, 2004
CCK
www.flickr.com
cleaning lens is a very fustrating task for me. b'cos sometimes, u just can't get some dust particles off ur lens/filter using a blower. what do u guys do in such a case?

just bought a microfiber cloth ($5). tot it's not suppose to leave particles but then still left particles on the lens. any good cloth to recommend?

currently i am using those sell in one pack cleaning solution. issit not good to use cleaning solution often to clean the lens?

ohmymy said:
cleaning lens is a very fustrating task for me. b'cos sometimes, u just can't get some dust particles off ur lens/filter using a blower. what do u guys do in such a case?

just bought a microfiber cloth ($5). tot it's not suppose to leave particles but then still left particles on the lens. any good cloth to recommend?

currently i am using those sell in one pack cleaning solution. issit not good to use cleaning solution often to clean the lens?

Same here. The blower doesn't do good job. Thought of sucking instead! :think: Suck is better than blow. So far didn't hear anyone suck le! Is there such thing as sucker?

Got advised before, never use lotion while cleaning. It will affect the skin and coating.... Is it true?
For fingerprint, I use lens tissue. Is it ok too? :dunno:
Hate maintenance! Dust, dust, dust. DSLR is even worst!

I will usually use a blower. If it does not work, I will use the bursh.

I have a lenspen, and one tip is the brush, and the other is a material to clean lens. Just "hahhhhh" on your lens (u know form the vapour on the glass?) and use the lens pen to clean it......anyway, been doing that since SLR days.....hope this is helpful.

You can see my lens pen in my 'kit' pic....
My-kit2.jpg

The pen looking thing on the bottom left?

i use a lens pen too...easy to bring out...and the brush works better than the blower :D

How about trying those battery operated vacuum cleaner for PC keyboard. It sucks. ;)

dotti said:
i use a lens pen too...easy to bring out...and the brush works better than the blower :D

okie. will go & buy a lens pen to try. since buying fz20, been spending so much on it. almost broke liao. :(

ohmymy said:
okie. will go & buy a lens pen to try. since buying fz20, been spending so much on it. almost broke liao. :(

Me too. Will minimise or buy cheaper accessories. It's buy and buy. Still got dry cabinet! :think:

use compress air blow or some call it dust blower ;) works well

To clean lens, it is important to use lint-free cloth or tissue. Other than lint-free, it should ideally also be free of sand or any particles. The problem with re-usable lint-free cloth is that you are never quite sure if there are sandy particles attached to it (that is transfered from whatever cloth-holder you use). So should try to use disposable.

Why don't you try PEC Pads and Eclipse Fluid? They are available in CP. This is what people use to clean their CCD:
http://www.pbase.com/copperhill/image/32569476

jumbocrab said:
To clean lens, it is important to use lint-free cloth or tissue. Other than lint-free, it should ideally also be free of sand or any particles. The problem with re-usable lint-free cloth is that you are never quite sure if there are sandy particles attached to it (that is transfered from whatever cloth-holder you use). So should try to use disposable.

Why don't you try PEC Pads and Eclipse Fluid? They are available in CP. This is what people use to clean their CCD:
http://www.pbase.com/copperhill/image/32569476

Thanks for your tips. It's getting tougher now. So many things to note.
Btw, do we have to clean CCD? Thought only DSLR needs to clean. Getting quite scary! :think:

Yes, only DSLR needs CCD cleaning. For non-DSLR, everything is sealed so hopefully no dust can get in. Anyway, even if dust gets in, everything is sealed so cannot even get the cleaning done by yourself - only way is to send in for servicing.

LifeWorld said:
Me too. Will minimise or buy cheaper accessories. It's buy and buy. Still got dry cabinet! :think:

Dunno if it's advisable... I wanted to get a dry cabinet too. But ended up buying a bottle of silicon($5) and an airtight container($10). Someone ever told me that the camera shouldn't be TOO dry. But heck, no money... Buy what I can afford. :bsmilie:

happytikus said:
Dunno if it's advisable... I wanted to get a dry cabinet too. But ended up buying a bottle of silicon($5) and an airtight container($10). Someone ever told me that the camera shouldn't be TOO dry. But heck, no money... Buy what I can afford. :bsmilie:

You should buy a dry cabinet to protect your investment. I have been using it for about 3 yrs from now. You can get a small one which cost less than 100.
The cabinet comes with adjustable dehumifier and reading as well. Therefore, shouldnt afraid of too dry.

donkuok said:
You should buy a dry cabinet to protect your investment. I have been using it for about 3 yrs from now. You can get a small one which cost less than 100.
The cabinet comes with adjustable dehumifier and reading as well. Therefore, shouldnt afraid of too dry.

Sigh... More money going out... :bsmilie: But yeah, should protect this investment. Thanks for the advise! Cheers! :)

happytikus said:
Sigh... More money going out... :bsmilie: But yeah, should protect this investment. Thanks for the advise! Cheers! :)

Hope this info about dry cabinets is useful to you. So far the cheapest I can find.

Dry cabinet (20L) = $79
(30L) = $99
Where to buy = Carrafour (B2), Plaza Singapore

Happy shopping...

Cheers

For me, after using lens tissue wetted with cleaning lotion, I use micro fibre cloth, and then my 1400w household vacuum cleaner to remove dust particles. My lenses are spick and span. Works every time. ;)

Why can't SLR users try using a power vacuum to suck dust off their CCDs. They can use it in combination with a brush. Don't see why this shouldn't work? :cool:

I did the same thing, using the vacuum cleaner. very effective man

donkuok said:
I did the same thing, using the vacuum cleaner. very effective man

Maybe they also use vacuum cleaners to clean dslr's and charge $80 for it. :bsmilie:

How do you use your vacuum cleaner on it?
Show me how!!!

I'm scared that it sucks up my lens, and sucks the insides out, and also breaks the glass when it sucks pulls the lens towards it and smashes against the vacuum cleaner, or I scratch the lens when I start rubbing the vacuum cleaner head on it :(

Status
Not open for further replies.