cleaning lens, smears?

Status
Not open for further replies.

alantkh

Deregistered
Jun 16, 2009
hi people,

after I clean the lens with eclipse solution, there is always some smears (when u look at the surface on an angle) left behind which is impossible to remove.

Is this normal? or is there better lens cleaning solution around?

I use lens tissue to wipe them off.

no matter how I wipe it is impossible to wipe the smears off. I don't want to wipe too hard in case I damage the coating. The smears are not visible when you look at it perpendicularly. but it is visible when you look at it at and angle to the light.

what lens cleaning fluid do you use?

Does it affect your image quality?
Maybe you can try using a lenspen.

no matter how I wipe it is impossible to wipe the smears off. I don't want to wipe too hard in case I damage the coating. The smears are not visible when you look at it perpendicularly. but it is visible when you look at it at and angle to the light.

what lens cleaning fluid do you use?

I don't use any fluid, just lens tissue.

hi people,

after I clean the lens with eclipse solution, there is always some smears (when u look at the surface on an angle) left behind which is impossible to remove.

Is this normal? or is there better lens cleaning solution around?

no such problem unless whatever i put the eclipse solution on is dirty.

what are you using it with?

besides, even if it's there, it doesn't affect your picture to be honest. i wonder why people are always so anal about things that don't matter.

no such problem unless whatever i put the eclipse solution on is dirty.

what are you using it with?

besides, even if it's there, it doesn't affect your picture to be honest. i wonder why people are always so anal about things that don't matter.

I am using eclipse with lens tissue.

ya... it doesn't really affect the picture. Actually the lens 14-24mm was ok except one tiny speck. then I itchy finger decided to use eclipse and now it looks even dirtier than before with the smears. It looks like oil stains, maybe from my hand after holding the tissue.

I'll say lenspen too, works great for me.Abt $15

I am using eclipse with lens tissue.

ya... it doesn't really affect the picture. Actually the lens 14-24mm was ok except one tiny speck. then I itchy finger decided to use eclipse and now it looks even dirtier than before with the smears. It looks like oil stains, maybe from my hand after holding the tissue.

you can remove the stains with an relatively clean microfibre cloth. :)

Breath on the lens and wipe with a clean section of microfiber cloth or chamois.

i did a bit of research n asked around too, and i hear that lenspen is good.. is it true that it creates smears etc, like TS mentions? im looking to get one for myself, coz i just got a new cam n want to keep the lens clean

I used to be so paranoid abt smears & dusts like the TS until the day I messed up my $170 brand-new CPL filter with a lenspen... After that I learned how to focus more on composing pictures rather than searching for dust, etc

I used to be so paranoid abt smears & dusts like the TS until the day I messed up my $170 brand-new CPL filter with a lenspen... After that I learned how to focus more on composing pictures rather than searching for dust, etc

Hi, may I know what's 'messed up'?
I used abt a yr fine leh..Thks.

I read with interest how a few of our fellow CSers found that lens pens caused problems for their lenses.
I myself have positive experiences with lens pens.
I would usually blow off the bust first, followed by using any lens solution then clean w lens tissue. After that I will do a last pass if need be with lens pens.
This is my method. I guess many would have various ways of doing that. And I agree that it is often inevitable to have some left over smears to be there.

im not familiar with lens smudges n stuff.. will it affect picture quality? do the smudges clear up, similar to smudges on other types of glass?

i'm using Eclipse with Pec Pads also... i noticed that if drop too many drops on the pec pads and wipe on lens, it would be very tough to make it clean without smears... i now drop one drop on the pad and wipe on lens... clean with another piece of clean pad till it dry totally... clean with microfiber cloth at last... no smears now...

i'm using Eclipse with Pec Pads also... i noticed that if drop too many drops on the pec pads and wipe on lens, it would be very tough to make it clean without smears... i now drop one drop on the pad and wipe on lens... clean with another piece of clean pad till it dry totally... clean with microfiber cloth at last... no smears now...

thanks. going to try this.

agree. Breath on lens, should able to wipe off.

nikon specifically advise against using your breath to clean lens....

reason is that there are acids in your breath that are harmful to the lens coating.

I tried using my breath to clean the lens because I remember reading about this method on CS. But that did not work so I went to Nikon website to check on what is the recommended method.... and I found the warning about using breath.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.