Cleaning Lens Filter

revidia

Jul 12, 2011
Hello, can anyone advise me on how to clean lens filter properly ? I am using a Hoya 77mm multi coated filter and had tried using a lens pen to wipe some marks off the filter but it doesn work. I don dare to use soap and water method because the soap will erode the multi coat surface.

Last edited:
Hello, can anyone advise me on how to clean lens filter properly ? I am using a Hoya 77mm multi coated filter and had tried using a lens pen to wipe some marks off the filter but it doesn work. I don dare to use soap and water method because the soap will erode the multi coat surface.

Have you tried using a microfibre cloth?

try with Lenspen?

Don't use lenspen, it will make it worse on your hoya filter. Alternatively, use a microfibre cloth and lens solution which can be purchased at some optical stores. I recommend Zeiss, it comes with the cloth and solution.

Hi, This is a very common question and include lens cleaning too.Not many people can give a good answer because they don't have basic knowledge of chemistry.If you can remember your school chemistry 101,then you will know that chemical elements are only stable when their atomic or molecular bonds obey the physical laws of nature.So when they react with other elements means that other elements "want" to establish "stability" according to chemical and physical laws,or else there will be violent reactions like heat and fire or worse explosion.

I'm sure you have experienced buying a household cleaner which warns that you test it's efficiency on a small patch of surface or material before commiting the whole subject to the chemical.This way if if is unsuitable it will have damage only a small area.Cleaners are basically a class of solvents ,a common example is soap,even water is a mild solvent and can make steel rust because of
the oxygen in the water's molecular structure by way of oxidation (reaction with oxygen and iron in steel).

Yes you can use a piece of cloth or fibre but remember that the material have colour dyes on them if they are coloured which can react with the multicoating of the glass.No manufacturer will garauntee that their dies are inert ie. do not react with most other
materials.So you are back to square one or where you started from.Don't forget cloth fibres can also scratch or are abrasive like sandpaper,you may think I'm exagerating but if you rub it hard enough you can scratch multicoating unless it has a coating of hardener applied.

Even if you use a piece of "harmless" cleaning cloth you can't effectively remove oil stains from your fingers or body.You will see
a patch of smear no matter how hard you rub.Now what? You can buy specialty lens cleaning solution but in general they are expensive and difficult to source because it's a matter of demand,it's not like food or toothpaste,people need them everyday.

This long reply is really telling you,no matter what you use or try there will be a "reaction".That's the reality of nature.But there are less offensive way to clean glass/lens and that is by using alcohol the most common being medicinal alcohol for cleaning wounds and the industrial type known as isoprophl alcohol.You can even get away with metholated spirit or "fire wine" in local parlance from hardware shops.Alcohol evaporates very fast unlike water based cleaners that's the beauty of it.So I hope to have enlighten you about this subject.:)

Last edited:
I found that hoya HMC filters are difficult to clean. b+w MRC are much easier.

Thanks ! I guess I will try look for lens cleaning solution

One eye jack: wow interesting information : )

I am using philips spray usually mend for my LED TV.
It does work when my lenspen couldn't clean those stains on my filter or lens.

hmm just a lens pen and mirco fibre cloth is good enough.

Don't need to be an expert in chemistry or having basic in chemistry. Sometime just blower, microfibre cloth will do the trick. At times, I even resort to using a bit of water, of course when doing that, be sure to remove the filter from your lens, spray a bit of water over it, and clean with a microfibre cloth. Then ensure that your lens is fully dried before returning the filter to your lens.

Oh... and btw... if the stain or stuff don't affect the IQ of your pics, no need to clean wat.

Last edited:
Did you try using lens cleaning paper/tissue? I use Tiffen lens tissue to clean my lens, 1 piece can clean for all the lens. Use a blower to blow off dust on it before wiping it.

I use Tiffen lens tissue too. Blow off any dust and then wipe the filter. If got any stubborn strain, just breathe lightly on the filter and then wipe off the strain.

hoya mentioned on their site that soap and warm water is best for their Pro-1D line of filters.. its also easier than alcohol. for me, i use alcohol if i need it cleaned quickly, and soap and water when i have more time to let it dry out.

I also experience stain are especially hard to remove on a Hoya HMC filters. You can't just wipe it off with a micro fibre cloth or lenspen. Need to use lens cleaning solution with micro fibre cloth to remove the stain. I think next time I will go for other brands UV filters instead.