Cleaning Lens/ Filter

Status
Not open for further replies.

DonnyDan

Dec 4, 2009
Hi I would like to know what brand of cleaning kits are you using which is good. I have been using R.O.R for years but it is expensive. Anyone using the following brand?

Lenspen LP-1
Zeiss Cleaner
Kinetronics

Btw anyone know where to get original lenspen LP-1 ~$10?

Oh btw i use it with Kodak lens tissue now under Tiffen. Anyone has better alternative? Btw how good is Zeiss/ Pentax Cloth? Oh back to previous post, I do use my breath (free!) quite often.

A 3m microfibre cloth does wonders.

I use the Matin microfibre cloth with ROR. A bottle of ROR can typically last you for a long long time unless otherwise you drench your lenses and filters in it ;)

Oh LOL i used Scotch-Brite lens cleaning cloth few years back. Cant really get it that easily, I saw it at Giant Turf City when Giant just open it which is so many years already. Any idea where to get it and the price?

I saw the ADV, anyone interested to get? We get it together lets make it $10!

Ya i still have a unused R.O.R with me great, but consider changing it once it is used up. =) I clean all my lens after each project and used quite alot actually but the problem of R.O.R is the availability of getting it from shop.

Last edited:
I have 2 x 2 oz bottles left with me. I have to find a way to replenish them as well. In a worst case, we can do a non-profitable mass order if too many people show interest in this.

Hi I would like to know what brand of cleaning kits are you using which is good. I have been using R.O.R for years but it is expensive. Anyone using the following brand?

Lenspen LP-1
Zeiss Cleaner
Kinetronics

Hi May I know what's R.O.R?

And could you kindly elaborate what is a lens pen for?

Lenspen LP-1
Zeiss Cleaner
Kinetronics

for cost effective solution,

get a GOOD MICROFIBRE CLOTH, i use TWO SETS, one for FILTER (more frequent cleaning), one for LENS.

you will also need a BLOWER.

to clean any surface, BLOW it first, then gently wipe the surface. if there are marks that do not come off that are definitely not permanent (it takes quite something to damage lens surface unless the coating is horrible, rare these days).. use something like eclipse solution or E2 (which isn't that expensive if you think about it, my little bottle has lasted me nearly 8 months and going and i clean my lenses regularly with it, along with sensor).. put on the cloth, repeat the gentle circular motion.

lenspen is good, no doubt, but not cost effective because not reusable. also, effectiveness reduced after some time.

microfibre cloth, just throw into washing machine, dry, hey presto, it will be as good as new.♦

Ya been shooting for about 10 years, never tried a lenspen before =( though it is not cost effective I shall get one and try it myself. LOL. Been using Rocket since 06 a good blower indeed. Anyone tried Zeeion Anti Static Blower ? =)

Any recommendations for a disposable lens tissue? I've been using PecPads with Eclipse... but I still find strays of what seems to be oil/residue on my filters even after I tried wiping it off with clean PecPads. I used disposable lens tissues with Eclipse for my lens prior but got better results instead... so I doubt its the Eclipse solution... and my disposable tissues are running out fast!!

for cost effective solution,

get a GOOD MICROFIBRE CLOTH, i use TWO SETS, one for FILTER (more frequent cleaning), one for LENS.

you will also need a BLOWER.

to clean any surface, BLOW it first, then gently wipe the surface. if there are marks that do not come off that are definitely not permanent (it takes quite something to damage lens surface unless the coating is horrible, rare these days).. use something like eclipse solution or E2 (which isn't that expensive if you think about it, my little bottle has lasted me nearly 8 months and going and i clean my lenses regularly with it, along with sensor).. put on the cloth, repeat the gentle circular motion.

lenspen is good, no doubt, but not cost effective because not reusable. also, effectiveness reduced after some time.

microfibre cloth, just throw into washing machine, dry, hey presto, it will be as good as new.♦

Good suggestion night86mare! However I'd like to add one more step before wiping sand or any other noticeable dust spec by brushing off gently using a high quality camel hair brush or high quality nylon bristled brushes. Sometimes, wiping off using a cloth before removing these specs can leave a scratch and these might not be blown off completely by a blower either.

Any recommendations for a disposable lens tissue? I've been using PecPads with Eclipse... but I still find strays of what seems to be oil/residue on my filters even after I tried wiping it off with clean PecPads. I used disposable lens tissues with Eclipse for my lens prior but got better results instead... so I doubt its the Eclipse solution... and my disposable tissues are running out fast!!

You can try the tissue from Tiffen (Formerly Kodak) and they are pretty good. I'm still happy with my Pec Pad and ROR though ;)

I usually spray the ROR on one area of the Pec Pad and fold it multiple times making the sprayed area exposed. Then I'll wipe the lens or filter starting from the center in a circular motion slowly towards outside. This will leave some streaks during this process. The next step is to unfold the Pec Pad and fold it in a way that those unused / dry areas are exposed this time. Follow the process by starting in the center and move slowly towards outside in a circular manner. This should clear off all the streaks left in the previous process ;)

I quite like the lens pen for its convenience especially when outside shooting.
It doesn't come close to a microfibre cloth for cleaning off more stubborn streaks, and yes, certainly it would not last.
But for what it's worth, I love to have it along.

I quite like the lens pen for its convenience especially when outside shooting.
It doesn't come close to a microfibre cloth for cleaning off more stubborn streaks, and yes, certainly it would not last.
But for what it's worth, I love to have it along.

I do keep one handy with me. But my biggest problem with it is keeping it clean :(

Status
Not open for further replies.