cleaning gunk/glue off camera?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pai

Nov 24, 2004
Lala Land
www.flickr.com
hi guys, need some help here...

recently got hold of a secondhand camera. it's in pretty good condition, except previous owner stuck some cheap protective film on the lcd display. the film is now peeling off at the edges, and worse, the semi-dried glue has formed a layer of gunk around the film.

what's the best way of cleaning all this stuff off? will probably get rid of it and replace the film with a better lcd protector...

eow

Jun 22, 2004
hi guys, need some help here...

recently got hold of a secondhand camera. it's in pretty good condition, except previous owner stuck some cheap protective film on the lcd display. the film is now peeling off at the edges, and worse, the semi-dried glue has formed a layer of gunk around the film.

what's the best way of cleaning all this stuff off? will probably get rid of it and replace the film with a better lcd protector...
use oil.....

catchlights

Staff member
Sep 27, 2004
Punggol, Singapore
www.foto-u.com
try Rosonol (naptha) lighter fluid, use it on a small corner to see, should be very safe on plastic.[SIZE=-1]

no tinner oil, no nail polish removal.
[/SIZE]

zac08

Feb 21, 2005
East
You may want to try some solvent type. There are super-glue removers available from Hardware stores but not sure if that will do the trick.

Alternatively, I would try petroleum distallates like Zippo lighter fluids to see if I can get the gunk off... Do note that some of these may cause reactions with certain plastics. So use with caution.

ipin

Nov 21, 2005
Can also try lens cleaning solution as some of them contain either Methanol, IPA or Ethanol/Alcohol as their solvent(s).

Do try on a small area first.

deckard

Oct 13, 2006
use kerosene trust me works on my F80 like a charm. :)

mingkor

Dec 18, 2006
just use masking tape to lift off the stuff and you need not worry about solvents/liquids damaging your lcd

user12343

May 15, 2005
get from pharmacies. ask for isopropyl rubbing alchohol. not tat expensive for a big bottle. :)

ipin

Nov 21, 2005
get from pharmacies. ask for isopropyl rubbing alchohol. not tat expensive for a big bottle. :)
But that isn't pure IPA. There're additives which will leave some sort of residue. :sweat:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom