Cleaning and restoration of antique cameras.

Status
Not open for further replies.

scarlet68

Aug 19, 2005
Hi All,

I'm a newbie here. I have an old Voigtlander Bessa I fold-out lens camera which I inherited from my father, and I'm thinking of selling it. I was wondering if someone can tell me where I can get such an antique camera appraised and/or cleaned and restored to working condition in Singapore. Any helpful advice would be most appreciated. Thanks a lot. :)

keep it, belongs to your father.....then past down all the way.;)

smurfman said:
keep it, belongs to your father.....then past down all the way.;)

Thanks, but no thanks to your unhelpful "advice," smurfman! :(

you can try The Camera Workshop (TCW) at peninsular. there are a couple of other shops as well there, just that TCW is a popular choice.

write out the lens description to us
since you are on line now

scarlet68 said:
Hi All,

I'm a newbie here. I have an old Voigtlander Bessa I fold-out lens camera which I inherited from my father, and I'm thinking of selling it. I was wondering if someone can tell me where I can get such an antique camera appraised and/or cleaned and restored to working condition in Singapore. Any helpful advice would be most appreciated. Thanks a lot. :)
You may want to visit David of PG camera repair at the basement of adelphi .He can certainly help restrore old and unusual antique camera back to life.

ricohflex said:
write out the lens description to us
since you are on line now

As far as I know, this Voigtlander Bessa I was made in the 1950's, and it uses a Prontor-S shutter. The following text is printed on the inside of the adjustment ring protruding above the lens: VASKAR 1:4.5 / 105. Can anybody tell me what this means?

Following my own efforts to polish its outer metal parts, the camera body is now in fairly good condition, save for some slight rust spots on the body directly beneath a leather handle strap attached vertically to its left side, and some slight peeling of its black vinyl coating in certain edges. The focus lens is intact, not scratched and not cracked, but has some fungal spotting. The shutter release mechanism (which comes with a timer switch) doesn't seem to work as it should. The camera comes with a brown leather case that has a broken flap-lid. Included also is a detachable adjustable flash mount.

Additional accessories include a still-working, near-mint, made-in-Japan Lyon pocket B-type retractable aluminium fan-type flash. This flash comes in a light green coloured card box with circular and triangular patterns in white. The box has dog-eared flaps and slightly torn edges. The flash is missing its bulb, but it comes with a dog-eared instruction sheet in English.

Another accessory is what I think (I'm a newbie to photography after all) is a detachable stereoscopic view-finder made by Suehiro Photo Industry Corporation of Japan -- probably in the 1960's. I wish I could attach a photo of this accessory for someone to correctly identify it, but of course I can't do this in this forum. Anyway, I think this detachable viewfinder (or whatever it is) is about 65 mm long and 25 mm wide and 25 mm high. It has two small rectangular lenses on both right and left corners of the front, and a viewing lens on the left side in the the back. Apart from the spotty lenses, it's in fairly good condition and comes with an adjustment knob (on the back part) which can used to adjust the image of the scene you're viewing on the horizontal plane as you look through its viewing lens, so that the image -- as seen through this lens -- can be made to line up perfectly as a stereoscopic 3D image. Am I making any sense? This viewing thingy also comes with a dark brown leather case with the logo "Rondo" branded into it, and this case is in fairly good condition.

Anyway, thanks to all those who gave helpful replies. If you can offer more tips (or even a rough appraisal) based on the additional info I've provided here, I'd really appreciate it. I shall follow up on all the good tips that you guys have given me so far. Much thanks especially to melv, ricohflex and zeiss planar. As for smurfman, I wish the moderators of this site can ban him permanently for continuing to post such totally irrelevant, flippant and useless comments! Peace to all! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.