Cleaning A55 Sensor

MachCurve

Oct 26, 2011
Hi,

I noticed that some of my photos I took recently with my new A55 while on a vacation have a dark grey dot on the upper left corner. I'd presume it's due to dust/dirt on the sensor? So, I understand a couple of solutions I could take to remove it (correct me if I'm wrong):

1. Use Sony's Auto Cleaning Mode to clean the image sensor.
2. Use a blower.
3. Pay $$ for a shop to clean it (safer and done by experienced personnel)

Is Option 1 viable? I read a couple of posts from some forums and there are people saying the Auto Cleaning Mode doesn't work well and whatnot. For Option 2, there are others who say that a blower blows dust down and might accumulate on the bottom (can't remember exact details).

Please advise. Thanks in advance!

Hi,

I noticed that some of my photos I took recently with my new A55 while on a vacation have a dark grey dot on the upper left corner. I'd presume it's due to dust/dirt on the sensor? So, I understand a couple of solutions I could take to remove it (correct me if I'm wrong):

1. Use Sony's Auto Cleaning Mode to clean the image sensor.
2. Use a blower.
3. Pay $$ for a shop to clean it (safer and done by experienced personnel)

Is Option 1 viable? I read a couple of posts from some forums and there are people saying the Auto Cleaning Mode doesn't work well and whatnot. For Option 2, there are others who say that a blower blows dust down and might accumulate on the bottom (can't remember exact details).

Please advise. Thanks in advance!

Step 1:

Use Sony's auto cleaning mode. Then set your camera on a tripod, point to a relatively white or pale surface and shoot at a small aperture (f/11 and above), see if you can see those dust spot.

If still have,

Step 2:

first (I am not very sure of the command of Sony, Pg 36 - 39 of your manual), expose the sensor... point your camera facing down, with the sensor face down to the ground, and blow the sensor with a rocket blower... then reattach your lens, and shoot (see step 1) on how to test for dust.

If still have

Step 3:

Get a sensor swab and clean the sensor (follow to the sensor swab instruction).

Last edited:
The Auto Cleaning mode will work for unwelded (read: no moisture) dust which is loosely adhered onto the sensor glass surface.

The blower method will still work for unwelded dust which is more stubbornly adhered onto the surface.

The wet cleaning method is the only good way to get rid of welded dust. But thankfully it's not so common. You can DIY or you can get the service centre to do it. I prefer DIY, much more convenient, cheaper, etc. Of course, loads of people here will happily tell you, better leave it to the professionals.. Frankly, it's not that hard. Unless you really have butterfingers, I don't see any reason why everyone should just do it themselves. It's easy. Cheers.

The wet cleaning method is the only good way to get rid of welded dust. But thankfully it's not so common. You can DIY or you can get the service centre to do it. I prefer DIY, much more convenient, cheaper, etc. Of course, loads of people here will happily tell you, better leave it to the professionals.. Frankly, it's not that hard. Unless you really have butterfingers, I don't see any reason why everyone should just do it themselves. It's easy. Cheers.

Agreed... I have been doing that for a year now... and my cameras (40D, 7D) are all working fine. It is really not that difficult... just read the instruction manual that came with your sensor swab and chemical and follow closely.

Step 2:

first (I am not very sure of the command of Sony, Pg 36 - 39 of your manual), expose the sensor... point your camera facing down, with the sensor face down to the ground, and blow the sensor with a rocket blower... then reattach your lens, and shoot (see step 1) on how to test for dust.

For the A55, you just press the little button to flip the SLT mirror up, then the sensor is exposed. :)

Thanks all!

Just wondering, do I have to remove anything (e.g. the lens) for the Auto Cleaning Mode? Where does the dust go to?

Thanks all!

Just wondering, do I have to remove anything (e.g. the lens) for the Auto Cleaning Mode? Where does the dust go to?

The dust will just be shaken loose. My tip is to do the cleaning mode first, then use the blower.

Sensor swab method

Blower method Note: this guy is long winded. Skip to 3.30mins and start from there.

I've cleaned my own sensor before, with the lenspen sensorklear (as my sensor swap digital survival pack was still shipping).
1st time trying. Hell of fear but once you do it, you won't be visiting SC's for sensor cleaning anymore.

Thanks all!

Frankly... if it was still encased inside, the dust will be in the body, somewhere... Thus I would advise that you blow the dust off the mirror surface first... camera facing down, so that the dust will be blow out of your camera and will not settle back to the mirror box.

Then expose your sensor, and blow at it... again facing your camera to the ground.

That should get rid of the dust that are not stuck on your sensor. As for stubborn dust or stain, you would need a sensor cleaning chemical and the sensor swab (bought my from CP quite sometime ago and is still using it). The sensor swab come with a very detail instruction, follow it carefully and you wouldn't go wrong.

But before you go swabbing your sensor, it would be good to give the sensor a good blow from your rocket blower to remove any hard dust particles.