Cleaned my P&S lens with fluid... die die die

Status
Not open for further replies.

yocoolboy

Mar 9, 2004
Hi...

I decided to move my problem from the Newbies corners to here and hope that someone could enlighten me...

I decide to buy some cheapo lens solution from a shop... It says can clean lens for digital camera...

After cleaning, I notice on the Canon manual that no syntetic solution should be used to clean the lens...

I now very scared later my this new cam spoil... so decided to post some pics and hope someone can tell me if my lens got problem, is it safe to clean with that kind of solution and what to look out for if really got problem.

Below are the photo taken after I used that cheapo lens cleaning solution:

Update: I'm unable to show the pictures due to a server breakdown. Will post them later. Menawhile... if anyone can answer my question please answer. Thanks

I am using a Canon Powershot A310...

Thanks

heh i also went to clean it with the cheapo cleaning liquid a few x until i read on CS that I shld not have done it...but I didnt notice any difference in my photos but of course have cut off the bad habit oredi :)

Actually, it's not that cleaning solutions are bad for your lenses (mainly the coating), but it's rather dangerous for those untested, unbranded ones.

If you are serious about cleaning your lenses, get the Eclipse solution @ CP. But some others have used other stuff (ie, hard liqour, Windex, etc etc) and have sworn by them as well.

thanks... but the server which hosts my pix are down now... what are the things i should look out for if it damages the coating... And what are the coating you are refering to? The glass? or something else? i've stopped using them.

the glass on the lens usually contains an anti-flare coating.

probably more noticeable flare...

anyways, ive been reading your threads and realize that you're paranoid about taking care of your camera. try concentrating on taking pictures rather than worrying about your equipment :thumbsup:

be care full. taking bad or lousy pictures cn also spoilt your lens or/and camera.

LiOnElLiN said:
anyways, ive been reading your threads and realize that you're paranoid about taking care of your camera. try concentrating on taking pictures rather than worrying about your equipment :thumbsup:

As a former technical person in charge of solvents (me):
There are many types of solvents in this world and these range from water to mile alcohols to stonger ketones to nasty stuff like benzene (which is carcinogenic) and chlorinated and fluorinated solvents like 1,1,1 trichloroethane which burns the ozone layer.

Some of these can dissolve polycarbonate and polystyrenes. Try nail polish (a ketone) on a CD case. Or 1,1,1 trychlorethane (liquid paper thinner). Same effect.

Detergents can also be nasty.

Camera mfg will always warn you because one can never know what these cleaning fluids are made of. And it is no good for them to try to specify so the safest is: just tell people not to use these solutions.

In all probability, 95% of the stuff in the market is safe, esp if they are alcohol based.

But you never know, I once cleaned a pentaprism with alcohol and it never looked the same again!!

Check and see that your lens multicoating is still there. If it is, the lens will appear to be non-reflective and instead you will see some rainbow like colours. Even if multicoating is gone, you may get more flare but should still be OK most of the time.

Like what the previous poster said, most lens cleaning solutions are pretty safe. Check if your coatings are smeared or scratched, if they look ok then you should be pretty safe.

Most importantly, you must stick to safe cleaning methods. For example, drop the cleaning fluids on lens tissue, not on the lens itself! Else the liquid might seep behind the lens and cause you much headache later. Also, do not soak the lens tissue full of the liquid, just enough to moist the tissue. Try to use the good lens tissue (eg. Kodak) as they're usually llint free. Using your facial tissues is not a good idea, as they might be abrasive and leave lint all over your lens. Finally, use a blower to blow off dust and particles on the lens before using lens tissues. Or else you're just scratching your lens with all the sandy particles!

whoa! thanks! yar... as a newbie, I am very paranoid... thanks a lot... yep, i do notice rainbow colours when putting under the light - thought that was a side effect after i used my lens solution... i'm like that... dunno why... buy new things sure get paranoid... esp when i had that BenQ camera... haiz... thanks guys..

yocoolboy said:
whoa! thanks! yar... as a newbie, I am very paranoid... thanks a lot... yep, i do notice rainbow colours when putting under the light - thought that was a side effect after i used my lens solution... i'm like that... dunno why... buy new things sure get paranoid... esp when i had that BenQ camera... haiz... thanks guys..
The more paranoid u get, the more likely ur camera gets damaged, believe me.

Rainbow colours? Google around for 'lens flare', it may be the angle of strong sunlight hitting ur lens that's causing the 'rainbow effect'. Don't jump to the conclusion so fast that it may be ur lens solution that's causing the problem.

The more u worry, the more likely u're gonna break it sooner.

yocoolboy said:

im sure you make a conscious effort to avoid touching the lens with your fingers and leaving fingerprints right? well thats enough already, really! if there's visible dust, use a lens blower... thats about it :thumbsup:

yocoolboy said:

Ya...won't die one.
My company uses 2 digital cameras Sony Dsc 70 & 85 for field work.
5 years already; everytime we use our T-shirt to clean the lens ( it fog when taken out of air-con room). Until now; no scratches, no fungus.
Still produce very good pictures.:)

sehsuan said:
won't die one. don't worry :)

:bsmilie: sehs say wont die means wont die..can trust him one :D :)

panda said:
Ya...won't die one.
My company uses 2 digital cameras Sony Dsc 70 & 85 for field work.
5 years already; everytime we use our T-shirt to clean the lens ( it fog when taken out of air-con room). Until now; no scratches, no fungus.
Still produce very good pictures.:)

Wah! T-Shirt cleaning for lens... probably no more anti-reflective coating as well. ;p

lol yeah, no worries man, the worst is the coating gone only, but still won't really affect ur photo taking that much, counting how much dirt it takes for the photo quality to degrade even!

rayfoo said:
lol yeah, no worries man, the worst is the coating gone only, but still won't really affect ur photo taking that much, counting how much dirt it takes for the photo quality to degrade even!

yep thank you... i checked... the coating is still there... got rainbow colour when tilted until strong light... not reflecting e light at all... thanks...

yocoolboy said:
yep thank you... i checked... the coating is still there... got rainbow colour when tilted until strong light... not reflecting e light at all... thanks...

however, use lens tissue and microfibre cloth should be can right?

Status
Not open for further replies.